The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Sub Trunk ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
428 Posts

Profile of calamari
I am looking for information on (what I believe is one of the best all time illusions) the Sub trunk ...

I have owned and performed this illusion in the past and love it, but I am looking for a new one now and want one with both a top and back trap... ata style that will hold a lot of weight.

Anyone know a builder you could recomend or have any design improvements you could recomend to help two large guys do the switch more quickly... my partner and I currently bill it as the worlds slowest metamorphosis... great for working for magicians not so great for laymen...
thanks for any info...
Calamari (The Flying Calamari Brothers)
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5672 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Well, I guess you should be thinking about a bigger box to allow for greater access. So what kind of boxes are larger than the Sub Trunk?

Maybe a wild animal travel crate. You could add the dimension of there may be being a beast still in the crate.

Could it be the shipping crate for a wide screen TV? Leads to line "You always wanted to be on TV." Smile

Sub trunk with a coffin Smile

I'll give it some more thought Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2680 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Most builders will custom build their illusions to your specifications. I had my sub trunk built by Gerry Frennette (MagicMakers) About 12 years ago. It still look's and performs like a charm. His sub-tunk is NOT one of the cheaper ones, but then again there's that old saying: "You get what you pay for." His design of the trap makes it so easy for you to do the switch very quickly. I have seen alot of "bad" trunks in my time, But Gerry's is definitely one of the better ones out there. He can also build you a trunk to look like a Polished Streamlined Illusion, or the old Shipping Crate style. I personally have always perfered the crate style! One that appears old and rustic with chains always seems to create more intrigue and anticipation from the audience.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
If you want a really good sub trunk, I would tell you to go to illusions by your design in Las Vegas And talk to Thom or Vinnie. They built mine and it has never had one problem and it gets a real workout on a daily basis. They make 2 different types and we use a packing crate style. We do the sub trunk in 1.5 seconds we are working to get it at 1 second but, hey, when the audience see's us do it everyone in the house is stunned at the speed. They are on line but I don't have their exact www. By the way they also are the guys who do "Melinda's" show at the Venitian and know just about everyone and everything about illusions, plus they are super guys to work with.
Saydean
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1449 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Friend if you were here in Turkey, I would be happy to assist you in having one made at a very reasonable cost. But I am sure you can fin a good carpenter in your area who can make it according to your dimensions and definitions. If you do not have a plan and decide to buy one. You may want to check "Paul Osborne's" Plans first.
mmagical regards.. Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Just a note to say we are working on a new Sub -trunk that is clear and can be filled with water. It's in our rehearshal space but we havent done it yet. Anyone else doing this version? Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-03-09 01:25, Saydean wrote:
Just a note to say we are working on a new Sub -trunk that is clear and can be filled with water. It's in our rehearshal space but we havent done it yet. Anyone else doing this version? Smile

You might want to to be careful with that one. It has been (and is still being) done. Alan Wakeling designed exactly what you describe for Mark Wilson. It's called the "Aquarian", and both Mark and his son Greg have performed it. In fact, you may run into some intellectual property issues if you pursue this effect without seeking permission from the principles involved.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2680 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I have seen Mark a greg do their subtrunk version where they are trapped in a clear box with swords preventing their escape. I have never seen them do one with a water filled sub-trunk. Sounds cool(and wet)!
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Doug Henning used to do an escape from a water filled, plexi-glass box, but it wasn't exactly a sub trunk. The effect was similiar though.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-03-09 07:30, Peter Loughran wrote:
I have seen Mark a greg do their subtrunk version where they are trapped in a clear box with swords preventing their escape. I have never seen them do one with a water filled sub-trunk. Sounds cool(and wet)!

The version you're referring to is called "Excaliber", and was created after "Aquarian". It became the more commonly performed version because it was easier to set up for multiple daily performances.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
I do have performance rights to the unit.
Now the sword thing ...sound interesting.I also have a large Milk Can escape and have been toying with the idea of doin a Sub-milk can thing . Problem is the amount of water left on the stage and the obvious water trails that are created when the switch takes place.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-03-09 11:05, Saydean wrote:
[...]
I also have a large Milk Can escape and have been toying with the idea of doin a Sub-milk can thing . Problem is the amount of water left on the stage and the obvious water trails that are created when the switch takes place.

Now you know why "Excaliber" replaced "Aquarian" in most of the Wilson shows.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Calamari, please feel free to PM me if you're still interested in having a custom sub trunk built. My step father is a master builder and he built mine custom. It's very heavy duty, very fast and looks like no other. He could probably save you a bundle.
You can see pictures of mine at my website.
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/methyus

P:S I know I'm new here and I don't mean to rant, but a little more discretion and less description of methods would make me feel alot better about posting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Sub Trunk ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL