The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best 'coins across' using an.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
It is surprising to see that no one (unless I missed it?), has mentioned Larry Jennings. In a Genii magazine, back about 1965(!) Larry's "Peripatetic Coins" appeared in Charlie Miller's "Magicana" column.

Based on coin handling that Larry learned from Milt Kort, of Detroit, and of Bobo fame (Kort has more tricks in Bobo than any other contributor), it was an elegant solution to the "Coins Across" plot.

The version in "Magicana" was just ONE of several handlings that Larry developed, some of the others circulating via the "underground" back then. Larry had one handling that included doing the HPC from the ], another that used the open display of coins in the spectator's hands for the last coin into the spectator's hand, and another that incorporated Vernon's adaptation of Deep Back Clip, as detailed in the Ganson "Art of Close-up Magic" set.

I don't have a copy of the L&L "Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" to hand, but I believe that some of this work appeared in that tome. Larry also issued several early sets of lecture notes, and the small book on his magic that preceded CMofLJ, the Busby pamphlet, "...On Card and Coin Handling". Those sources may have more info, though I don't remember specifically what is where.

The other place to check is, of course, the website devoted to Larry and maintained by his friends, Bill Goodwin and Lee Asher.

Also, Earl Nelson had a wonderful "Coins Across" with a ] that I THINK is in his book, "Variations", long out-of-print, and just recently re-issued.

The thing about it was this: I saw it at a convention in San Diego at three in the morning in a hallway! When I woke up the next morning Earl was gone and all I had was the somewhat foggy memory (those were the daze!). I re-constructed it, not knowing about the ]! When I showed Earl what I thought he was doing, the next time I saw him, he told me about the ]! I had done a lot of hard work without knowing it.

The effect was what I was after: Earl put all four coins in his left hand, then closed both hands. He opened his right hand and there was one coin. Closed it, made a magical "gesture" of sorts, opened it and now there were two. Then three, then four. He NEVER opened the left hand once the trick began. The coins just kept appearing in his right hand, one after another until all four were there. THEN he opened his left hand to reveal it empty!

This was quite a departure in 1978! No moving coins back and forth from hand to hand, or hand to table. No overproving, no extra shows. A straightforward coins across, one at a time, only the recieving hand being shown, until the trick was done. Think about it - I did!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I like that idea of only showing the receiving hand gaining coins... the spectators must REALLY be burning the closed hand at the end! And what a great reaction when it's finally shown empty! Sankey has something where similar stuff happens via HPC...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best 'coins across' using an.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL