We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tricks of the Imagination by Neale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

laurent
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of laurent
I'm looking for the Plague routine (pateao force)
Does anyone knows if I can find the Plague routine in Tricks of the Imagination by Neale ?
Is it a valuable book ?

thanks
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I believe that the routine is found in Magic and Meaning, by Burger & Neale.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
George Bleeks
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Northern Ireland
94 Posts

Profile of George Bleeks
It's in 'Life, Death and Other Card Tricks' by Robert Neale.
George Bleeks
laurent
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of laurent
Life, Death and Other Card Tricks is no longer available.
Does anyone knows if I can find the routine in Magic and Meaning ?
Thanks
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Yes, the routine is in Magic and Meaning.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
Is it a valuable book ? The answer is yes for the stories and maybe for the effects, it has to fit your style. Between "Life, Death and Other Card Tricks" and "Tricks of the Imagination" I prefer this one because there's other stuff that card tricks.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Yes it is a valuable book if you like the "story-telling" approach and the writing style. If you look for innovative methods, then it's not going to be your cup of tea
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Those are two of the worst books ever written for magic. Lay audiences will probably stick their middle finger up at you if you perform these dopey routines.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2006-11-25 11:49, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Those are two of the worst books ever written for magic. Lay audiences will probably stick their middle finger up at you if you perform these dopey routines.

I know that this is a two year old post but I just can't not respond to it.

Silly Walter if you'd ever had the pleasure to see either Bob Neale or Eugene Burger perform any of these effects live you'd be seeing two master magicians at work. I'm just stunned to hear someone make such a completely outrageous comment like this. Neale and Burger are two of the most respected names in magic. I think that the issue might be that these books speak about adding meaning and context to one's magic as compared to another book about sleights and effect that clone magicians so often seek.

jeff
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Jeff,

Silly Walter is no longer on the Café. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Anyway, I agree with you.
What would Wavy do?
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
In addition to Robert Neale and Eugene Burger, one can also watch Max Maven perform to see the difference that an engaging story makes.

I saw a Maven performance last year where he made the audience care quite a lot whether a coin landed heads or tails. The toss of a coin is a relatively trivial thing, but he knew how to engage people's attention deeply. This piece got very loud applause. By contrast, one can present a "great" trick colorlessly, and one gives the audience no reason to care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tricks of the Imagination by Neale (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL