The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blacks vs. Wizard vs. Vortex PK Ring Strength Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Aaron Smith was suppose to be putting together a PK Ring DVD but I haven't heard any word on its progress or a potential release date. Maybe Aaron will respond back and give us an update.

One nice routine you can perform is Nicholas Night's Enigma which is still available from MagicSmith.

Cheers!

** Bill **
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
Quote:
On 2006-12-05 14:54, theoriginalman wrote:
I've only performed the watch stop and coin in envelope location. I would really like to learn a few more interesting effects, any ideas?

I take it you've had a spectator mark a shimmed quarter and insert it and a number of unmarked quarters into separate coin envelopes, after which you've "divined" which envelope contains S's marked coin. (BTW, you might want to copper-plate a bunch of steel pennies made during WWII for this.) How about trying to pass a bottle cap into a soda bottle? (A shimmed cap is already inside the soda bottle, but is hidden by the label thanks to your ring. A duplicate cap is "vanished" as the hidden one is made to appear inside the bottle.) Or how about trying to pass a coin through a glass table? (A shimmed or magnetic coin hidden underneath the glass table is brought into play thanks to your ring.)

Run a search for "Kurotsuke" to find a wonderful "lie detector" or divination routine using your ring. A seemingly "impromptu" Chop Cup routine with a rolled up dollar bill (with a hidden ball magnet inside) and almost any opaque cup is made simple with your ring.

The possibilities with your PK Ring are legion.

Good luck!
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
It is my understanding that the stronger the magnet (ie. N50-N54) the more brittle the material is.

This has 2 consiquences:

1) The ring is harder to manufacture or you sacrafice on wearing a silly thick wedding band.
2) More importantly, since wedding bands shouuld be relatively thin, all you need is to bang the ring while wearing it and it will crack.

Over time, I am sure technology will improve Smile

Here's to mutual attraction Smile
Long Island,

New York
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I just got a Blacks Magic PK Ring as I lost my old style Wizards PK ring and I am more than satisfied. I mean how can you beat this ring? It looks almost exactly like my wedding band (just a little bigger) And the color looks perfect (I got gold) The strength is great and is there any better 100% satisfaction guarentee on the market for anything? I mean if you break it, they replace it. If you gain or lose weight and it doesn't fit, they replace it with the right size. And did I mention this was a lifetime guarentee? Also if you want to return it for a refund you have 1 year no questions asked!! I got mine for $29.50 at Blacks Magic website and for all that you get, I would have paid $89.95! They will also give you a brand new Blacks PK ring for 9.99 if you trade in your old Wizard PK ring! If only I could have found mine!!!

Bravo Blacks Magic! Keep up the great work!

Marc
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I have a gold Blacks PK ring. It looks just like a wedding ring. I can't compare strength to other rings as this is the only one I've bought and I'm happy with it. I had considered some of the others but didn't like the way they looked.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I just bought a Vortex ring this weekend, and quite frankly, I found it to be much stronger than the Wizard PK ring, which I passed on before at my local brick'n'mortar shop. (Magic Sojourn in Bristol, PA)

Lhotta, in your strength comparisons, did you take into account the fact that the Vortex's poles are aligned through it's curvature rather than through it's thickness, which is typically how the other rings are polarized ?
That would make for a dramatic difference, and in fact could explain the large discrepancy in your findings posted here.
Simply put, there's no way the Vortex is that much weaker than the other rings.

I think a "rematch" is in order.
Instead of trying to pick up an item with your finger parallel to the item (and thus the ring is perpendicular), try taking the ring off and laying it down on the item, then pick it up using the ring (and some pliers or something).
I think you'll be surprised.

If that seems a "useless" way to align the poles, by the way, it's not. You simply angle your finger differently, and there are many ways to "approach" an item, and many different ways you might need the magnetic field to interact with an item.
I suggested this method of testing because it was the most simple.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 00:09, Mystician wrote:

(...)

Lhotta, in your strength comparisons, did you take into account the fact that the Vortex's poles are aligned through it's curvature rather than through it's thickness, which is typically how the other rings are polarized ?
That would make for a dramatic difference, and in fact could explain the large discrepancy in your findings posted here.

I think a "rematch" is in order (...)

I did not consider the polarization because I don't utilize the PK rings in that configuration. All my applications pick up items at a 90 degree angle to the ring.

I understand there is a Vortex II ring coming out soon which is suppose to be more powerful, and Aaron has promised to ship me one so I can evaluate it and post my results to this thread.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Hey everyone, I was wondering if it is practical to wear these PK Rings 24/7. If I'm going to buy one I will want to wear it 24/7 so that it will be like total impromptu.

Do you guys wear your rings on you all the time? Is there a risk of breaking them or them not working anymore?
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Your biggest risk is probably breakage. All the PK rings are somewhat fragile so if you plan on wearing it 24/7 you will probably bang it enough to break it sooner or later.

Some folks will try to convince you the ring will deactivate all your credit cards unless kept at a safe distance of at least 3 feet. I performed some testing about 3 months ago and found this not to be true. You can see my post with the specific results here

Cheers!

** Bill **
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yeah, umm, exactly what tricks doesn't the ring adhere to something at or near 90 degrees???

I can't think of any...

Quote:
On 2006-12-11 13:44, Lhotta wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 00:09, Mystician wrote:

(...)

I think a "rematch" is in order (...)

I did not consider the polarization because I don't utilize the PK rings in that configuration. All my applications pick up items at a 90 degree angle to the ring.

I understand there is a Vortex II ring coming out soon which is suppose to be more powerful, and Aaron has promised to ship me one so I can evaluate it and post my results to this thread.

Cheers!

** Bill **

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Hmmmm I really don't want to break the PK Ring. Isn't there a gurantee if it breaks you get another one? Which provides does this?

Does anyone where their ring 24/7? My family and friends would probably find it very suspicious that I only wear a ring when I perform.
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
I agree that it's suspicious to wear the ring only when one performs, however, it's very easy to damage credit cards if the ring is wear all day long.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

I thought Lhotta just said that it did not damage his Credit cards............hmmmmm don't know what to believe.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 23:40, Drizz wrote:
I thought Lhotta just said that it did not damage his Credit cards............hmmmmm don't know what to believe.

I recall an episode of "MythBusters" on the Discovery Channel where they ran credit cards through magnets of varying strength. Don't remember the specifics, but the long and short of it was that it takes a whole lot to make the card unreadable....well more than contact with a PK ring. Lhotta confirms.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi jclark,

Just wondering how long the Blacks PK rings last, how long do they keep their potency? Just wondering. Also, what exactly does the "PK" stand for? Thanks. -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I think it's safe to wear the ring 24/7, as xformer7 pointed out, it takes an awful lot of gauss to ruin a credit card strip. The main consideration is the ring's finish. I can't speak for any ring other than the one I own, and the vortex claims that it's not merely electroplated, and so should last longer. We'll see, as time will tell (it's still too new for me to know right now).

There are applications where you don't approach the item at 90 degrees with your finger,if you bend your fingers, and bring your hand done in a natural manner, you'll find the "edge" of the ring in contact with the item, and that's where it's (vortex) real power lies. (I'm pretty sure I have the V1, not the VII.)
It's also easy to bring your hand down at 90 degrees, and still let the item attach to the edge of the ring - my point was that in conducting a rigid sort of comparison test, it has to be done fairly.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
I have credit cards damaged by PK ring, but it's long time ago. I am happy to know that these two things can get along together now.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi Guys,
I wear my Wizard PK Ring all the time and I know JC is always wearing one of the Blacks Rings. With normal use, they do not damage credit cards, cellular telephones or watches. Now if you were to rub the ring several times vigorously along the magnetic strip of you credit card you may well disrupt the magnetic encoding. However if you throw a brick at your car window you may well break it. In other words, handling those items with the hand on which you wear your PK ring, will have no damaging effect on them whatsoever. With regard to breakage etc. we will replace any Wizard PK ring broken under any circumstances in line with the lifetime warranty on our Documentation. We will also replace any ring for an alternative size from our range if your ring does not fit your finger. All we ask is that you return the product and pay both the inbound and outbound postage and packing charge. In recent months, we have had several VORTEX type rings returned to us which were sold to end users as Wizard PK Rings complete with photocopies of our Instuctions. I know that JC has also had a similar problem and like us, swapped them out for his own product see here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=4

Hope this helps and seasons greetings to all Café customers

Jaz
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Mb...they should keep their strength a long...long time. As long as it is not stricken voilently in the presence of a strong magnetic field in which case it will most likely break anyway. The PK stands for psycho kinetic.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-12-14 13:09, Jaz2005 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I wear my Wizard PK Ring all the time and I know JC is always wearing one of the Blacks Rings. With normal use, they do not damage credit cards, cellular telephones or watches. Now if you were to rub the ring several times vigorously along the magnetic strip of you credit card you may well disrupt the magnetic encoding. However if you throw a brick at your car window you may well break it. In other words, handling those items with the hand on which you wear your PK ring, will have no damaging effect on them whatsoever. With regard to breakage etc. we will replace any Wizard PK ring broken under any circumstances in line with the lifetime warranty on our Documentation. We will also replace any ring for an alternative size from our range if your ring does not fit your finger. All we ask is that you return the product and pay both the inbound and outbound postage and packing charge. In recent months, we have had several VORTEX type rings returned to us which were sold to end users as Wizard PK Rings complete with photocopies of our Instuctions. I know that JC has also had a similar problem and like us, swapped them out for his own product see here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=4

Hope this helps and seasons greetings to all Café customers

Jaz

Thnks for your insight.

Does that warranty extend to all reatailers (say Ellusionist) or do I have to buy it from a specific site?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blacks vs. Wizard vs. Vortex PK Ring Strength Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL