The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blacks vs. Wizard vs. Vortex PK Ring Strength Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Actually the Wizard PK ring was not the first to use the concept of a magnetic ring for magic. Back in 1999 I purchased one of John Altpeter's MasteRings so the concept existed at least back then and I'm betting it was around even before that.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 05:02, Jaz2005 wrote:

Just to clarify for all, We at Wizard PK were the first to launch this style of PK ring to the magic community.

We were the first with the concept and design to the magic community where the whole ring was made from 100% M@@@et.

If someone knows otherwise I will be glad to hear from the privately because this is not the thread for that type of discussion. There are several threads on the Café that have already done this matter to death. and perhaps that is where it should remain.

best regards
Jim
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The Altpeter ring was not practical in that you had to turn it around to make it work. Very different than the Wizard PK Ring.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Rowdymagi5, true but it still uses the same concept.

jaz2005, I don't understand your last post. You brought up the subject as being the first one to launch this.
Magic is a vanishing art.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Hey guys, for the sake of "getting along", let it lay. Jim and Costas were, without a doubt, the first to market a 100% magnet ring to the market. They beat me to the punch and I followed soon after with the Black's. Both a good rings, and that is all that matters. The sad thing is the poor quality ones coming in. Buyer beware. At the end of the day, get the ring that best "fits" you... so to speak. JC
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
My ORIGINAL PK RING G2 will arrive here next week, and I will post a review for you.

I can't wait to put my hands on this little gem!!!!

Regards,

Mesquita
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Any news on the Ghost Ring yet????
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Your search for the right PK Ring at the right Price ends HERE!!!

See it for yourself.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Ustadd, great post. Thanks for the heads up on where to get a reasonally priced PK Ring.
Magic is a vanishing art.
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I'd like to place my vote for the Blacks...its strong, durable and looks great.

Marc
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
Has anyone tried the rings from here http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=48&page=2

N40 compared to Wizard and other's strength?

Villa
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I just recieved my ring from Super magnet man and I hate to say it, but,

It is beautiful. I got the chrom one as I had an idea for some shiner applications for which the silver of my Blacks magic ring was not quite reflective enough for.

At first I thought, aside from the finish/colour, they were identical and perhaps These guys made Blacks' rings for them.

BUT, the Super magnet ring is actualy a teeny tiny bit rounder than my Blacks. Granted I have not seen mutiples of either so these could be discrepencies that happen through out each brands curve in manufacturing.

However, the Super Magnet ring actually seemed, surprisingly, stronger. I tested by inserting cards between the ring and a Canadian Quarter (our coins are Ferrous) untill, when picking up the cards by their edges, the quarter was NOT lifted by the ring.

The Supermagnet ring had atleast three more cards between it and the quarter and it still picked up the quarter. I stopped here because it was enough for me to know it was stronger. Also, the Blacks ring started to only lift the quarter by just its edge towards it's last inserted cards, where as the Supermagnet Ring, with three cards more, was STILL lifting the quarter flush with the cards.

In otherwords the quarter started hanging on by a thread with Blacks but was still well attracked to Super Magnet's Ring with more cards.

NOW PLEASE NOTE, MY BLACKS RING IS A FEW MONTHS OLD NOW AND HAS BEEN DROPPED AND COULD HAVE A SLEIGHTLY REDUCED STRENGTH. I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCE IN IT SINCE I FIRST GOT IT, BUT IF IT HAS DEMINISHED MINORLY I WOULD NOT HAVE NOTICED ANYWAYS.

So it could have been stronger when brand new. I will be making some comparisons the next time I am at the magic shop if they have any Blacks in, and deffinatly with the Wizards they have usually.

Prior to this ring I was most fond of Blacks given its look and strength. Given that this ring looks just as good and may very well be slightly stronger (note that the different curve seems to result in the ring being a fraction thicker in the center, compared to Blacks) this is currently MY favorite ring.

I am in no way putting down Blacks, the Wizard, or any other PK rings.

However these ones could easily put them out of business given their cheaper price and comprable strength.

I honestly kinda want every mention of SuperMagnet Man deleted from the Café and all magician's sight Smile Smile Smile
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
Many thanks for that, I have now placed an order.

Villa
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Another vote for the SuperMagnetMan rings.

I ordered one on Sunday night and it was here Wednesday (I'm in the U.S.). Looks good and is strong enough to make Cap Trap aka Prohibtion very easy to do. Haven't tried it for any other tricks.

Before spending more than $6.00 on a PK Ring, I'd sure recommend getting one from him. Heck, he's probably the guy who supplies them to the dealers who sell them for $25.00 and up!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
The Blacks ring I have is slightly thicker and slightly wider than the supermagnetman ring I just recieved. If you have a Blacks one you know it looks like a "fat" wedding band.

The supermagnetman ring looks exactly like a real wedding band. Although It's wider than my traditional one.

The edges are thinner like a real wedding band. I would guess that the Blacks may be a bit stronger because it's a bit thicker and a touch wider.

The Blacks is definately a different ring incase anyone was wondering.

I also noticed that S.M.Man ring size is smaller. An 8 1/2 may have to buy a 9.

So bottom line I really don't know which is stronger and unfortunately I don't have any Scorpions finished at the moment to gage how the supermagnetman ring differs from the blacks, which I have used to test my Scorpion gimmick.

my 2 cents

RR
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I got both the Black's and the SM rings in size 11 1/2. For me, the SM ring was just a tiny bit bigger. The strength and polarity seem to be nearly identical. Otherwise I can't add much to Roth's accessment except to say the gold color is different. Not better or worse, just different. The SM is definitely a "deeper" color, almost looking like costume jewelry you find at flea markets. For me, my first choice is still Black's but for the money it's nice to have a backup just in case.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I actually found that the SMM ring was slightly thicker than the Black's ring. hmm, go figure.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, thicker in depth, but the Blacks was wider in accross the band.

Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Greetings!

Well I couldn't resist the temptation so I picked up a couple of the Super Magnet Man (SMM) rings. I ordered one in chrome and one in silver (The silver is on back order until mid-March).

If you take a look at the very first post on this thread, I did some measurements of the strength of a number of the magnetic ring offerings. I tested the SMM ring using the same set-up I initially tested the other rings and the SMM ring turned in the exact same test results as the Black's ring:

Black's Magic PK Ring - 27 Poker Chips = 332 grams (original test results)
Super Magnet Man PK Ring - 27 Poker Chips = 332 grams

My Black's ring does seem to have lost a slight amount of strength since I performed my initial testing. It now picks up one less poker chip (26 chips vs the original 27 chips).

As far as measurements go, I broke out my micrometer and for a size 9.5 the two rings were exactly the same (within 1/1000 of an inch) for diameter & thickness (for thickness I measured both depth and the across the band measurement referred to in an earlier post).

I ordered a size 9.5 and the diameter of the chrome ring I received measures 0.759" which equates to a size 9.25 (US size). So for my ring at least the size is fairly spot on, but as Rick mentioned earlier if you are between sizes then you should probably order the next half size up.

All-in-all the Super Magnet Man rings seem to be a winner!

Cheers!

** Bill **
GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 11:03, Ustaad wrote:
Your search for the right PK Ring at the right Price ends HERE!!!

See it for yourself.

Quote:
On 2007-02-16 23:55, Lhotta wrote:
All-in-all the Super Magnet Man rings seem to be a winner!

Ustaad & Lhotta - Great link & review.

Thank you!

- Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Blacks vs. Wizard vs. Vortex PK Ring Strength Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL