The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rant time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Some how eating and drinking don't seem to be the distraction that a cell phone does. Maybe because the burger doesn't but back! The cell phone causes us to divert our attention elsewhere. Some insurance companies charge smokers a higher rate than non smokers for the same reason.

This isn't about personal responsibility. It's about yourt responsibity to others. You want to kill yourself? Fine. But what about the kid running into the street?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I disagree with the ban as well. Actually, I've heard of a recent study that showed driving tired, is just as dangerous as driving drunk. In my life I was responsible for two accidents. Both occurred while I was sleepy.

I do wish there was some way to report distracted drivers. Maybe if a person received enough independent complaints, they'd get a ticket or some sort of restriction on their license (i.e. Can not operate vehicle with cell phone or cosmetics in the front seat).

I once saw a girl blow by a stop sign at a busy intersection almost causing an accident. At the next stop light I tried to get her attention to tell her what she had done. She was so into her conversation, she didn't notice me. I saw another women driving erratically a week ago. When I passed by she was on the phone and admiring her manicure.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Kevin..the head injuries in a car are a result of not having a seat belt..not the absence of a crash helmet.So the helmets in cars doesn't apply. Most falls result in head injuries..doesn't mean you should wear a helmet when you go out walking just incase you trip up..however if you are climbing up a ladder or mountain perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea.
The fact that "people drive one handed all the time"...doesn't make it right, similarly, just cos a lot of people still drink and drive ..it doesn't make it right either.
Oh, and by the way..over here there is no distinction between a cell phone and a sandwich/cola...you would still be pulled for not being in control of the vehicle.

Howard
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Glen, I'm pretty much with you. Clearly a lot of people can't handle driving and talking on a cellphone. Almost invariably when you see some clod doing 45 MPH in the right lane of the freeway and you catch up to them, they are talking on their cellphones. I don't know why people have to slow down so drastically when they are on their phones, but they do it and it ****es me off. I've seen all sorts of people doing STUPID things on the road because they are talking on the cellphone. I won't even talk to people on cellphones if they call me from their car. So I'm in favor of busting these people. And doling out fines.

The problem with making a new law in my opinion is this; I'd be willing to bet that in CA as well as every other state in the Union there are already laws in place to punish inattentive drivers. Inattentive driving is grounds to be pulled over and ticketed here in Wisconsin. Yet I do not know of one person who has ever been busted for inattentive driving because they were on their cell phone. I get sick of this nonsense of making more laws, and more laws, and more laws, and even more laws, and then a few more laws to deal with issues that can easily be handled by the laws we already have in place. There are laws in place to deal with the issue of people on cellphones who are not paying attention to the roads. Why don't we use them? Why don't we enforce them? And knock off the nonsense of making blanket laws that hurt the rest of those people who CAN handle the responsibility of driving a car. The laws already exist, why are they not being enforced? And how will this new law help a problem for which there is already solution that nobody wants to use?

Can anyone on this thread who is in favor of more laws and more restrictions answer that question for me please?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I think it would be better if there were prerequisites to driving on our public roadways.
It's much to easy for any person to get a license.
With that, it's far too easy to behave carelessly behind the wheel- easy come, easy go.
POOF!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
You know, kids running out in the street are subject to being hit by anyone regardless of whether you're on a cell phone or not (lame argument). Might have to bring the parents in on charges of negligence for that one.

And this thing about drunk driving being equivalent to cell phone usage is ludircous. I am guessing that if you take a heavy-set person (just for this example)having just eaten and had maybe 1 drink, just enough to shadow the line between being legally intoxicated or not. Then have him drive around with a cell phone to talk on and then have him drive around without the cell phone, but he's legally drunk because of the 1 drink he had that put him right at the limit, and wa-laa no difference. The level of driving skill shows no difference between "drunk" drivers and cell phone users! gasp gasp!
Obviously I just made this up but my point is some of these so called studies aren't too far from the scenario I just explained, especially when they are agenda driven.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Vandy is spot on....
There are laws already that are not enforced. After the Oklahoma City, Murrah building bombing there were laws put into pace where it was illegal to blow up a building. HELLO, that was already illegal, we didn't need another law. Just enforce what is alrady on the books...and go one step further, actually punish those that do not obey the laws.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Exactly Kevin. It's the same with most gun control laws and so many other issues. Instead of lawmakers directing law enforcement to enforce current law, they make new laws and then pose for holy pictures. This allows them to claim they are saving the World and saving us from ourselves. They can point to it as some sort of "accomplishment", usually around election time.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Here in Ontario, we have laws against driving with cell phones and eating/drinking among other things. If an officer pulls you over for driving poorly and finds you are tired or sleepy, he will order you to the nearest motel and may give you a ticket for dangerous driving. People here have even been pulled over for picking their noses (of course they were driving poorly too but that was their excuse). No more finger sticking and flicking for me!

Most people I know are ok with these laws.

Oh yes, you have to wear a helmet while driving a motorcyle and everyone has to be wearing seatbelts here also. It's about protecting citizens from hurt.

Living Illusions said "This is just one more freedom being taken away...it also relieves people of taking responsibility for their own actions."

People are not taking responsibility if they are doing it. They are careless.
Even with this law, they are still responsible for their actions. That has not changed. If they break the law they are responsible for that action and must pay the fine or worse, be responsible for causing an accident.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
That is exactly why I posted all the new auto feature regulations in my original post. I mean it's kind of a joke and exaggerated and all but the logical progression of this thinking takes us there. If those were implemented then driver attention would be maximized and the number of accidents would be greatly reduced... never eliminated but reduced for sure.

Next rant, furniture... sofas, lazy-boys etc encourage laziness and eventually obesity. We all know what an obese nation we are. This is a serious problem and is a burden on taxpayers as it is and the problem is only getting worse!
All furniture must be outlawed for the good of society (it isn't a law yet but I am sure they are working on it)... except for a cot to sleep on which can only be used no more than 8 hours per 24 hour cycle.
Besides an extra bonus is less tress required to be cut down Smile

Glen

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Canada is a totalitarian society so they don't count. I made one 45 minute drive this afternoon and three cards swerved into my lane, all driven by phone yappers staring straight ahead.
Steve V
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"...and three cards swerved into my lane.."

That's because you insist on driving on the Deck...or in Wonderland.

Get on the hiway where you belong!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wonderful presentation for the Koornwinder Kar.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I wonder what the difference is...

How many American Beers compared to Canadian beers does it take to be a danger on the road.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Several States have laws prohibiting "distracted driving", which is another way of saying, probable cause.

As far as drinking while driving is concerned. I won't ride my motorcycle with as much as a sip. That sip is enough to relax me (especially on an empty stomach) and I want to stay sharp.

Most people drive bad enough when they're sober; weaving without using turn signals, rolling through stop signs, running red lights, tailgating, etc..., When you are behind the wheel, you have but one task.
Don't kid yourself if you think you are a safe driver when shaving, farding, adjusting the radio, reading directions, talking on the phone, or playing patty cake with the baby on board.
If you want to do anything other than drive the vehicle, hire a chauffeur.
POOF!
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Not sure if anyone else saw this episode of myth busters. They tested 2 people talking on cell phones and then those same 2 people having drinks after which they had to complete a road course set up by some traffic safety police. They actually drove better while being drunk then they did on the phones. Does it really hurt to just wear an ear piece or wait to talk to someone after you have stopped? What did we ever do before cell phones lol!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Like I implied, I'm not for new laws, the laws of nature can be hard enough.

Most bad driving comes out of impatience and rushing to get to where you're already late, even though, the risks outweigh the imagined fear of the pending consequences. That said, ANY distraction will elevate the chance of being involved in a mishap; whether you slow your reaction time by drinking, or are open to distractions.

A women who hit my car last year claimed, "My purse spilled."
Tough she was really talking on the cell phone. Whatever her excuse, she caused the low speed accident by her inattention, not focusing on the ONE TASK she had at the time.

If driving was better after a few drinks, then we must assume, that racing champion's would be better if they consume a couple shots before each race to achieve the winning edge?
Sorry, Penn & Teller, but I still wouldn't ride my motorcycle after a beer... and that's no Bullsh*t!
POOF!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Glen,
You had me with the useless phone law, but your rant on furniture has gone too far!!!!

Furniture ownership is the right of the people. At work and home furniture has enriched our lives. Without it, we'd be uncomfortable and unhappy. You were more than likely conceived on a piece of furniture. And more than likely that's where your life will end.

This is a place to discuss many things. But the abolition of furniture is not one of them!

BTW The fact that I work for Michigan's largest independent furniture retailer, has no influence on the above.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
LOL

Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
In regards to the whole cell phone bit...that's already a law up here in CT. What everybody does now is use a headset with the phone or the built-in speaker phone if they have it.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rant time (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL