The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fraud Reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Does DG go over any ways to change the bill? I do know a few but there is always the possibility of a borrowed bill being reasonably different in texture and aging when changing to the same quantity if you know what I mean. I suppose you can pick and choose but it might be something to consider knowing other effects with a borrowed bill. In this sense there is a conflict of advertisement vs expected product. Excuse me do you have a 1 dollar bill I can borrow I'm about to blow your mind with an illusion...? The bill has a tear in it... oh well too bad, too bad. Of course there are work-arounds but I'd like to know if these are mentioned on the dvd?

Quote:
On 2006-09-23 15:55, Josh Zandman wrote:
I wouldn't have bought this trick if I new there was a switch - its not my style of magic - I do all impromptu no gimmicked effects, except for MOABT. So that's why I am upset, because I was misled.

It's kind of like buying a food product and the ingredients fail to mention that there is fish oil which you are allergic to.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
DG does go over a very simple way- I'm sure you know this switch- its the only one I would use if I was going to do this.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I was going to buy this effect until I heard the negative sides of the effect.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
As for me, I always figured a switch was involved -- the part of the effect that is "the secret" for me is how to remove the seal from one side of the bill so that it looks truly gone and then how to realistically get it on the other side. If I hear that there are good solutions to both of those then I'll consider picking this up.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Gentlemen,

It is possible to interpret the ad blurb you cite differently. I haven't seen it but if I had read it, I would have thought it's describing the effect on the spectator because that's the effect it had on me when I saw Garcia do it.

I saw nothing other than Garcia's hands and the bill. The bill is not put in a "magic" wallet, "magic" bill tube, envelope or anything else. It's just out there with their signature and the magicican's hands.

It never occurred to me that there wasn't some kind of gaffus or aide involved. There simply had to be.

It's still 10 out of 10 for me and big "Thank You, Daniel" for a heck of a trick.
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
You people never learn. Wait a while before buying something. Wait for the reviews. Then ask yourself, do I really need this.

Usually, patience and time will result in a non-purchase, usually the better decision.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
OK....I stand by my original question to Fooksau. But Josh, you are talking about something different than what I asked. My question was why does it matter if there is a switch to perform the effect. Your concern is not with the actual handling but with the deception in advertising. That is your perogative if you feel that you can't buy any more of their products based on advertising, and that makes sense. (Although, does anyone with common sense think this was not accomplished with a switch...you know that has been doing magic in the real world anyway?)

But back to my original question....you all saw the same trailer. You all saw the same effect. You all liked the idea that a bill could be given back to a spectator that was altered. Deep in your subconscious, you ordered the trick because you wanted the same reaction. Now, at the end of the day, if it takes a switch to make it happen...I ask again..so what? The final effect is what we are striving for. If you can't handle doing a switch, then look for something else.

Now...Josh started this thread as a REVIEW THREAD...and I am glad he did. But the last few posts haven't been reviews of the product, but ideologies about ordering magic. Let's get back to the reviews. My only concern is how practical is it for strolling, ie: how difficult is it to make up multiple bills in advance. Or is this a one trick pony for the evening?
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
Michael,

The method involved DOES matter to some magicians simply because it's a factors into our style, and how practicle it is for us. I love the effect of Fraud, but I won't be purchasing it because I know I won't use it due to the method. I don't like the idea of carrying items on me for magic, that are just for ONE effect. I have no problems having a TT or rubberbands in my pocket everyday because I can use them for a lot of effects. I'ts like the invisible deck. Easily one of the strongest effects, but I don't have enough space to carry an extra deck for just one effect.

I think Ellusionst should've disclosed something about a gaff or gimmick. It was widely known that DG's other effect "Greed" uses a gimmick of some sort, but that didn't stop it from becoming a blockbuster effect. Ellusionist false advertised and by doing so, ended up losing the trust from a lot of customers. I think this will cause htem to lose more profits in the long run.

Anyways great effect by DG.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Seriously, guys.
How could you not know that there was a gaff involved? Did you think to yourselves, "They must've finally done it this time. They've discovered how to do real magic with a dollar bill!"?
How long have you guys been doing magic? Not long, it would seem.

I understand Josh's concern about the ad copy, but to be surprised to learn that there's a switch involved...come on.
The method employed should be the simplest possible, yet I get the impression that if there was another version that was far more complex, yet involved no switch, you guys would take that over the simpler method.

And let's be frank; what could be easier than ringing in a prepped bill? You guys act like it's the tour de france or something.
It's all in the reflexes.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 20:52, meauxfeaux wrote:
How could you not know that there was a gaff involved? Did you think to yourselves, "They must've finally done it this time. They've discovered how to do real magic with a dollar bill!"?

Just try to do this and get a borrowed bill that looks like the switch out. Will you have one gimmick in each pocket? One that looks like the borrowed bill and one that doesn't?
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I wouldn't mind using a gaff on a Borrowed Signed Bill.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Michael, of course I didn't think there was real magic with a dollar bill. I was taught magic by Ted Karmilovich who is pure genious. Who's to say that if it didn't require a switch that it couldn't be done? I mean look at Wayne Houchin, he is another incredible thinker and he uses no gimmicks.

I honestly thought it was the specs bill, plain and simple. And like I said before I really don't care anymore. I got my point across and the trick is still a great trick. Just not something I will do. Not my style. No biggie.

In the end, I am just psyched for DG and other creators to have the chance to shine and make their mark. I was just ticked off but its all good. I still recommend Fraud because it is amazing and the ending result is beautiful.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Also, another important question as I am a bit skeptical using legal money and of me, along with other consumers of GREED, have had a difficult time exchanging the leftover bills in the making of the GREED bill.....

Can you spend the altered bill of FRAUD??

This is important to know, because you don't want to hand the bill to a spectator who may want to spend it at a store or exchange it at a bank, ESPECIALLY if it is a larger bill ($20, $50, or $100). Even if it is a $1, they should have the option later on if they want to spend it legally.

Even if you give them an un-altered bill (ie.: their original bill) back to them..... You are stuck with the bill. If it is signed, you cannot use it for another performance of FRAUD. This can get costly, especially if you use larger denominations of bills.... You are losing $$$, despite of this Great Effect.

So, can you or the spectator spend the bill with no problem????
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 19:11, Michael Dustman wrote:
OK....I stand by my original question to Fooksau.

Your question was why does it matter if the bill is switched? My answer is that 2 one dollar bills rarely look the same. Other than that I think that when I receive the dvd I won't be dissapointed.
victor_cubed
View Profile
New user
irvine, ca
18 Posts

Profile of victor_cubed
Well, I finally watched it, and I must say, it is a great effect. However it seems like there's a lot of controversy going on about the fact that there is a switch that needs to be done. I personally don't see how that can be a problem, and kind of assumed that even though it's a borrowed bill there had to be something done to it.

Anyways, what threw me off was after reading the ad, it just sounded too good to be true, and I got over my head and bought it without thinking properly. I ended up telling myself stuff, making broad assumptions off their statements. For example: It talks about how it works for $1, $5, $10, and so on, I somehow ended up assuming that I could ask the spectator to borrow any kind of bill, and I would be able to perform Fraud. But it ends up you have to ask for a specific bill to perform it. Heh, no big deal though.

But what's up with having it signed on both front and back? Did they even cover signing the front?!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Fooksau,

I've been switching bills for tricks for the last 20+ years. Never had a problem.
It's all in the reflexes.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
I did this trick for my wife the other day. She's the type of person...and you all know them...that you NEVER want to do a magic trick for. She always catches a sleight, always questions something at the wrong time, sometimes doesn't follow directions and generally doesn't "get" magic.

I know...fun to live with, eh?

Well, I did this for her and she was floored. I MEAN REALLLY FLOORED. She couldn't get over it, and has taken the bill to put up in her office at work she was so stunned by it.

Now, Salby...about your question.

Yes, the bill can FEASIBLY be used after the effect. If the spectator wants to use it...they could. However, I WANT them to keep it as a souvenir, so what I plan to do is give them another bill at the end of the effect to replace the one I used. I know...you're paying another buck into the trick in the long run every time you do it...but it's worth it. The reaction this elicits is well worth the few bucks you put into it.

Now if I could just get around that pesky FBI issue....

--Jon
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Actually...here's a FAQ from the Ellusionist site that I'd like to see DG or Brad address:

Is performing the effect legal?
The video shows you how to perform the effect without violating laws or causing any harm. However, performance and/or use of the effect must be done at your own risk.

I've gone from the beginning of the DVD to the end, and I can't find ANYTHING on there that would allow me to perform this effect without violating laws....

--Jon
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
When money comes into your hands, it is yours. You can change it, mutilate it, etc all you want. You cannot, however, take that altered currency and try to pass it off as real.

Just as it's totally legal to take a coin, make it into a gaff, and sell it as a "novelty" are all legal. It's just not legal to spend it.

Same is the case with Fraud. Make the effect all you want and perform it. But, if the legality is really a concern with you, then take back the altered bill and give a fresh one to the spectator. Then don't spend the altered bill.

I believe that's the "legal" way to perform Fraud, by not allowing the apectator the chance to spend the bill. To possess the bill as a private citizen is perfectly legal though.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
If you perform this 20 times a night for 5 nights and you take back the signed bill because everyone might want a regular bill back to spend at $1 each..... You are out $100 a week. Now if you use any bill larger than a $1..... You are out even more money!!!!

This is NOT a cost effective effect!!!
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fraud Reviews (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL