The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » War of the Worlds book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Hi all. Just got the front cover back for our new book test War of the Worlds. Before it goes to print next week, was wondering if anyone wanted to give some feedback.

http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/images/products/war.jpg

James
Black's Magic
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Looks great James! Can you give a description on this test? I am still going to be picking up Dracula any day now.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
As (fairly) modern high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, the two SR-71s seem a little out of place (especially considering at the time of the story- 1898, the Wright Brothers were just getting started).

I might recommend, at the very least, a couple (~1940) RAF Spitfires to correspond roughly with the classic radio show.

Other than this creative anachronism, the artwork looks excellent.

Michael
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Yes you would want to take out the two SR-71s. they are way out of place. P-51 Spitfires would be b a lot better, trust me...
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
The cover looks too old to be new and at the same time too new to be old.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hi James,

Welcome back and thanks for your service.

WIll it be similiar to Dracula inside (same method)?

Hope so.

I tend to agree about the aircraft. Unsure if any spectators would notice and if so, should be easy to patter away but if there is time to change it, may consider.

Candini
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Yeah, fair enough on the SR71 point. Didn't catch that guys... though, given the recent movie I can understand my artists concept. I will talk to him and see what he thinks in terms of design and how he can adapt the changes. Shouldn't be a problem... and THANKS! This is the VERY reason why I talk to you guys. At the end of the day, this is YOUR product. Smile

Candini: thanks man; great to talk to you again. Been busy... the ol' amry thing has been tough. A lot of stress but hey, I have been able to come up with two new tests. LOL I am back for now at the office and letting my hair down (grow back).

Uses the same memory system BUT not just words: whole words, sentences, paragraphs, pages, and story lines. EASY to do... Way more to this one though!

The Man Who Knew Too Much and War of the Worlds are VERY similar but different story lines obviously. Have a three book test coming out too; it is going to be a set. All-in-all, we should have at least 8 books out total this year. Another 8 planned for next year.

Thanks for the input guys!

James
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
PS - Looks too new/old... hmmm. Not sure how to fix that one. Ideas?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
To my eye this artwork doesn't look like the cover of a real book. At best it looks like the sort of thing you would find on the sleeve of a low price video game.
A novel like War of the Worlds would be better served with a real painting, not a computer created image.
Sorry I can't be more positive, but I think you are doing a real service to the community with the intended content of your work.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Martin: no worries. Grateful for the points. We've looked at 6 covers of this particular book and they range considerably; we'll play with it. At the end of the day, we will get it the best we can based on the technology we have. We've already used similar artistry with another book and it has done fine. It is at BN and Amazon.com right now and those who have it (The S.H.I.T.) have had very possitive results. Most people are not going to worry about if it "looks" like a real book when they are holding a real book in their hands. But again, thanks! Smile
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Looks totally plausible to me.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Not wanting to spoil a great effect, one could always replace the cover with an actual WoW book cover couldn't one?

I do agree that the computer design is a bit "off".

If the text is the original book, why not put a similar design as contained on similar real world ungaffed paperback books?

I look forward to seeing the final product.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Mind guy: Thanks man. Curious, have you looked at "[any] similar design[s] as contained on similar real world ungaffed paperback books?" For example, there is one at Amazon by mass marker paperbooks published in 1993, which ours looks similar to. Perhaps some of you guys could take a moment to look at other covers and give feedback on them. If we can find an alternative that would better allow users to, well, use the book then I am happy to make any changes needed. Cheers! JC
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
PS - You'd have to destroy the book to "replace" the book cover, but it is certainly doable if you can find someone to re-do the perfect binding. We can't do that for obvious copyright issues. But, like I said, we will try to get it as realistic as we can.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I just search amazon for war of the worlds. First one that popped up was "The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 1993)" this has almost the same looks and feel of your book. Why not use your idea, but stick with spaceships?
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 10:16, jclark wrote:
PS - You'd have to destroy the book to "replace" the book cover, but it is certainly doable if you can find someone to re-do the perfect binding. We can't do that for obvious copyright issues. But, like I said, we will try to get it as realistic as we can.

I've got six copies of the same book with different covers that I've replaced myself, no need for any worry, even with the perfect binding there are ways of getting it done; it'd take a bit of work to do it, but it is doable...
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Honestly, nobody who you are doing the trick to is going to dicect the cover and think the book is a fake because there are fighter jets on it. If when you are doing the presentation and you draw attention to the cover then maybe yea, but who would do that anyway? It looks great and the presentation should have nothing to do with the book cover.
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
I agree that particular cover looks unconvincing.
I also disagree that the audience won't notice it, they will.

I don't want to be negative but I think this really needs to be addressed.

Good luck with the project.
Gotama
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Gotama
James,

It is tough to please everyone. From my perspective (outside of the planes), the cover is very similar to the original recording's cover and versons of the book from the 1940s through the 1960s. The typeface is a little off, but that is not as important as the images.

The question may be more to the point of what you are trying to create in an image. Are you going for a modern focus or an old style focus. Since I am starting to get as old as dirt, I like the older style of the 1930s through the 1960s style science fiction feel to the cover.

BTW, I am enjoying S.H.I.T.,. The cover of that book has been okay (although I think the heads are a little wierdly oriented).
I asked the boy beneath the pines.
He said, "The master's gone alone herb picking,
somewhere on the mount,
cloud hidden,
whereabouts unknown."
(Chin Tao, 777-841, trans. by Alan Watts)
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
The way I see it is if you are going to go for the old style look you can't use modern photoshop methods to create it because the style of computer generated art is too obvious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » War of the Worlds book test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL