The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » War of the Worlds book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
MagicMind: I thought so too. We found that one and felt we were on target with what people would expect based on a real version that is out there on the market instead of dreaming up a new one. Though we do ¡§invent¡¨ new covers for books we are working, we also try to keep it inline with what people might have already seen. Cheers.

Mindguy: Cool. I¡¦ve done so too, just never felt like they looked good enough. Probably my own hyper attention to detail disorder (hadd). LOL, dang, I think I just came up with a new disorder. I¡¦ll bet you a $100 that will a new drug is going to come out just for HADD.

You all heard it here first: Hyper-Attention to Detail Disorder.

Josh: GREAT to hear from you again man. Sorry I didn¡¦t get back to you on your first post yet; my head is still spinning from all the stuff I have had to do over the last year, etc. Playing heavy duty catch up. Will post on it at our website soon. Okay? But as to your comment, I agree, that for the most part, it is all presentation and control.

I take advice seriously and then, like any manufacturer, we role with what will work. I think I could leave them on without any problems. But, if I can add spitfires, that¡¦s cool too. If you deal with younger audiences, trust me on this, they are not that aware!

Pick an average 20 year old to early 30 year old and ask them about SR71s vs Spitfires and then try to get them to hone in on HG Wells and the timeframe, and you¡¦ll get a blank stare with a response like, ¡§Isn¡¦t that the move Tom is in?¡¨ LOL Okay, maybe it isn¡¦t that bad, but I have seen that look before. ƒº And I am in my early 30s!

Daniel: For giggles I will make the cover like it is and with a different one JUST to test this theory. I disagree with you. Magicians and mentalists think like that; most audiences do not IMHO. But, rather than argue about it or debate on our own personal experiences and views, I am willing to print this book with two different covers. I¡¦ll run it with this one (with minor changes that match or are similar to ones out there already) and then with a different one.

THEN, I will go out and film it with the two different books and post it on our website. Anyone want to participate on a test like this? I¡¦ll give consider giving you both books for the price of one of them IF YOU WILL FILM IT? Limited to the people here on this board (post)!!! LOL

Gotama: Good advice all around. And dang, LOL, the heads do look like that a bit. No major problem obviously, but since (little secret here) Sherlock is based on my face and Watson is Troy, you have to give me a little leeway¡Xwe¡¦re too ugly dudes!

I may just do two covers for the heck of it; one for younger audiences and that is a little more ¡§old fashion¡¨. Not sure. Thinking on it seriously.

Back to Daniel: too obvious for what man? Don¡¦t forget that I am a REAL publisher; book tests are a product hobby more than anything. Our artists do stuff like this all the time for books that are on the REAL book market. Smile

Love to all, and thanks again. JC
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
I gotta say (my day job is as a bookseller)

It looks real to me, I could show you many covers of War of the Worlds, some better, some worse... it's not drawn by Edward Gorey but it will pass as a real cover of a real book when looked at by John Q. Public.

(Very jazzed you picked this title for a book-test... just don't do that "edited by" mistake)

Best to ya, Tim
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Reese: so far we've had no problems with that "mistake" that sold, well, too many book tests to mention here. :-p But don't worry, we have found new ways to do it. Hidden in plain sight. ha ha. Cheers for the comments. JC
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Over the years, I've had more than ten American, one Canadian, and two British editions of *War of the Worlds* on my bookshelves. Almost every one of them were made up of generic line drawings; three of them had obvious anachronisms. Nobody cared because WotW is a story which sets itself easily in any time frame - and it may have something to do with a mass media (radio, movie, TV, movie) version being out at the time of the edition.

When it comes to public domain novels, there's no way you could create a cover which would be cheesier than the ones which "real" publishers use.

*jeep!
--Gran'pa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Jim, I think the artwork looks fine; I agree that the airplanes aren't right, but that's a minor point. I think also a Victorian-style font might be preferable because of the time period of the book.

But this one is important: the title is "The War of the Worlds." You need the definite article at the beginning.

And hey, I'd be happy to participate in your experiment. Lemme know!

Have a great day!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
http://www.joelibby.net
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
A computer generated cover like this may well fly past the average punter-anachronisms and all, but I took it from your statement of intent with Dracula that you wished to create book tests that could pass as real books under the closest scrutiny. Heck, a bright red thumb tip will pass by the public, but I doubt the inventor of one would post photos of it on the Café and ask people to tell the difference between it and a real thumb.
I just don't think this crudely computer rendered cover passes as a genuine book, certainly not the sort of book I would own. It would look completely out of place on my bookshelves,(I don't buy movie-tie in versions of classic novels for instance as the covers are too tacky).
Compare your cover to the one you have based it on. The original may be no great shakes but it is a painting, and that makes a big difference in my opinion.It just feels right.
My own copy of The War of The Worlds has a rather striking black cover with red lettering, and looks very classy as befits an H.G.Wells classic from the victorian era. Yours is computer generated (thus feels wrong for the era), has planes in it (anachronism), and has the wrong title.
Apart from that it's fine.
No offence intended-keep up the good intentions.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2292 Posts

Profile of todsky
As a long-time science-fiction book buyer and former bookstore employee, I see no problem with the cover, aside from maybe the fighter jets. I think the artwork is really great, and if it looks modern and computer-generated, that's only natural for a new release of a classic sci-fi edition.
I'm just glad it doesn't have 'edited by' on the cover!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
414 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I agree that the book may not need to look quite like the real thing (as is, I think both cover art and typography are fine).

If realism is sought, however, I would also consider (if you have not done so already) how the book is treated after printing. There are a number of different finishes which will make the book look like other, ”real,” books. Needless to say, this will add to cost, but may be just as ”important” if you want the book to resemble (as well as feel like, and handle like) any other store bought tomes.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Okay, okay, stop with the edited by stuff! Smile GOT it. Understand. Won't do it again! (as if it made any difference whatsoever when performing DBT).

Moving on. ;-) What needs to happen is you guys need to get off your butts and make some book tests! Do I hear a challenge anyone??? Smile

Well, I am seeing two sides here: those who don't care and those who seem to focus on a.) anachronism; and b) the lack of "being authentic looking" due to computer generated graphics. Hmmm. What to do.

Oh, I know... just make the dang book.

We have three books now; all pass just fine. Since the gaffs are dif, not all books will pass with "closest" scrutiny; that is just a fact. Like all gaffs, you'd be stupid to not have control over your enviroment. But, the fact is, these are (and will continue to be) books that are as close as you can get to the real deal but still facilitate the gaff and idea behind the test in the first place.

Seriously, I am glad to see people taking the time to share. What I know for sure is we magicians and mentalists are an electic bunch who will knit pick things all day long. But at some point I have to make a decision. We go to print next week and due to time lines, I have to get the cover in.

Have only one person here who is willing, thus far, to take up my challenge on these views (FOR REAL on VIDEO) to put them to the test. See, to me, I love hearing people's thoughts. That is cool and all, but sometimes they are just opinions that have not been tested. If I take this cover and someone freaks out about it, then there is cause for concern. But if I go out and test it against demographics and find that nobody makes any comments (BTW, what you see on screen looks somewhat different when printed) then who was right?

The people who said it will not matter when doing the effect. Fact is fact. Speculation and conjecture have no place in this. Anything else is just personal wishes and feelings. This is why I ask: it gives me things to test. I NEVER take people's views here wholesale; we have to see what our demographics do, think, feel about it too. Funny that, I am dealing with two sets: magicians and audiences. So I have to strike a decent balance.

Of course, after all this and none of you at the post pick them up then I am going to be disappointed. ha ha.

What I have found for sure is this: I've taken our books down to book stores like BN and had people look at them. Asked what they thought (people who buy and people who work there) and the results have been the same. NOBODY has pointed out anything that remotely made me concerned. They have, thus far, NEVER noticed that these were gaffed. The only people that found problems were the typesetters. LOL

Seriously, we're playing with it now. Keep in mind, we are not trying to make this book look like it has been on the shelves since 1936. BUT, if I can get some serious interest in those kinds of developments, I will make them! I will do two different covers if the sales would justify the expense.

Oh, good news! This release is also going to have a new companion! We decided yesterday that we are going to print another book with it--a new title that is well known--that can be used to work with TWOTWBT (who's that for a acronym?)

How would you pronounce that one?
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Thanks David, I am grateful for the comment.

As I mentioned above, I am in the publishing business (amoung other things). I deal with "real books" all the time from offset traditional books to newer technologies now being used for printing. Perfect bound, case bound, dust jackets, text books, etc.

All of our books, unlike other gaff books, end up in Baker and Taylor and Ingram's distribution databases to add that "special" realism others do not have.

If you search online for Dracula or Sherlock and pretty soon The Man Who Knew Too Much, The War of the Worlds, and several more titles in the works, you will find them to be seen as "real" and carried by legitimate book stores.

Well, not really. It just LOOKS that way.

We have, in a manner of speaking, manipulated the system to our advantage. he he.

People will not be able to really buy them. They can put them on order, but it will eventually drop from the system because we will not release the books to the stores. BUT that does not keep them from showing up in book stores on data bases, etc. We did this to deal with people who want to "check things out". What do they find? REAL BOOKS. This benefits the magician when he does his act because it can be argued easily the legitimacy of the book in question.

We are familar with layflat technology, the different paper options, and so on. We've picked the standard in books out there, and anyone who owns our products knows how high end these things are.

Yes, these are gaffs, but they are as real as any other book on the market you can purchase from thousands of stores; the content is just messed with to allow for effects. It is that simple.

People fail to realize this: these even have ISBNs.

For example, check out:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=1

Show me ANY other book test that has this to back up its perceived legitimacy! Smile Ours even has REVIEWS! LOL

So, some of the concerns people have expressed, whilst they make sense, are not a real issue in the scheme of things.

Again, thanks!

JC
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Okay, check this out:

First one: http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/images/products/war.jpg

New randition: http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/images/products/war_new.jpg

Added note: image has been "aged" by putting noise in it without taking away from the modern graphics. Play on science of influence (Influence by Robert B. Cialdini (2000)) in the "Social Proof" category.

Reads: "Complete Unabridged Edition" Subtext "Over 1,000,000 copies in print around the world"

Why? Again, if you are a mentalist and have not yet read Robert's work, you NEED too. My PhD focuses on influence and Robert is the father of this. He is at ASU and has a wonderful program.

Anyway, thoughts?

JC

PS - Had the fonts changed too.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Jim, I think it looks great! Bravo!
Here's an interesting but subtle point: The new font is much easier to read. Nice touch!

Joe L.
http://www.joelibby.net
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Thanks Joe, should also have something back on your business cards soon. JC
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I like the improvement....

When will this be released?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Mid to late Oct. The Man Who Knew Too Much is just in front of this one, so there will be a slight lag on it. Plus, now with the extra book, it will add another week-ish to production time. JC
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I like the "new" cover -- looks good. I have also spent many years as a bookseller, and it looks similar to or in keeping with the cover art for many "classic" reprints I've seen over the years.

My only request -- please make the page numbers larger! The page numbers on Dracula are tiny -- even I have a hard time reading them, never mind some nervous spectator who has been pulled up onstage (or worse, sitting in a slightly dark audience).

Just my two cents ....

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Numbers larger it is! Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Well done jclark,

The new cover is (in my opinion) a great improvement.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I liked the first cover as it was, but now agree, seeing the second one is much better.

I also thought you put together Dracula superbly.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Awesome James! I liked the first one too, but this one is more appealing- love it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » War of the Worlds book test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL