The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A New type of Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I have worked in telecom for 26 years and I have aquired everything I need to pull this off. I know this may not appeal to everyone, but try to keep an open mind. I desire an income in magic and break away from my corporate cubible. I don't want to a drone anymore. I need something that will keep me in my local area and following the path of your typical birthday performer doesn't appeal to me.

I have located a space in my local mall that would be perrrrfect for launching a new business venture. The magic is world class, the experience is one of a kind, the price will be perfect, and as a hook, the entire event is captured on HD digital video and provides a lifetime keepsake of something special. The DVD is edited from existing footage and live footage and provides advertising everytime it is viewed.

Green screen technology, non-competitive party games, stage illusions, a modern Pachinko Parlour is where the kids will redeem their tickets from the games for their chance to win magic prizes, and maybe even their very own party.

Web site development is underway and business name and domain name are down to the final considerations. Custom magic kits, a magic club, workshops, contests, and a lot more. Chuck E Cheese execs are going to be feeling this one. Franchises available and turn key operations less than 50K USD. All professional props built by Wolf Magic and puppets by Axtell. Lighting is all DMX controlled and all video editing equipemt and DVD authoring tools are Professional. The sound system includes a thumping sub and all my custom tracks are all mixed to 5.1 for my custom theater. Seating is only going to be around 50 max for my current space, but I can stream through 5-8 parties a day.

The games will have tickets that can be redeemed for Pachinko balls. I am looking at purchasing a full cargo container for less than $100 a machine. Possiblly may have a Pachinko sales and service as these things are pretty rare. If you haven't seen the modern ones, they are pretty sweet with LCD screens/animations and stereo sound. They flash with fantastic colors and offer a challenge that is unique to my business. I am betting a kid just seeing the lights will want to play, and you can be sure they will be seen by all passing shoppers. Check em out

Mall space is expensive, but compared to advertising dollars it is a bargain. The only question is what is a service like this worth? What is the public willing to spend? It can be the best service and best product but if no one knows where I am or what I do, they will not come. A mall takes care of that and also provides an environment for the family members that need to do some shopping while their child attends a party. I want 2 prices, 1 for the magic show and DVD only, and one for the full package which includes party games, local pizza delivery, and the Pachinko Parlour. I will need to sell my first shows dirt cheap just to get the momentum started. Clips from shows and hype loops play on a 42" plasma facing the mall, the green screen will be the focal point. I want it to be a virtual playground that kids will stop in and play with everytime they come to the mall. The energy and excitement abounds in my store. The overall theme is like a stage or movie set. Trusses with PAR and DMX lighting illuminate the store.

What do you think I could charge?
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Most of your income will be Friday night and Saturday, with some Sunday. There will be a few weekday evening events like birthday parties with more weekday events when school is out.

So, figure out your nut...rent, utilities, personell costs, taxes, store upkeep, consumable stock.

How much money do you need to stay afloat.

Also, how much is your starup realistically? That has to be paid back along with all the expenses listed above.

Then look at the hours you can work (evenings and weekends for most of your parties) and see how much you would have to charge.

That should give you an idea if you are in the ballpark...

Plus, will you rely on passive marketing (waiting for people who see you in the mall to walk in) or advertise? What will that cost? How about sales tax, social security and unemployment tax on your employees, withholding....? What other local permits/insurance/fees will be required? Insurance might shock you.

Also check your location...are you in an area with enough population to theoretically support this?

Plus negotiate like a mother with the mall...but that is another discussion entirely with a comletely different skill set. You don't have to pay the rent they ask.

Any mall store has a large nut...figure out what it really is on an ongoing basis and then divide your party hours by that amount to see what you get. Then see if you still have a question if people would pay it.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Mota, thanks for the feedback. I have considered most of what you covered and I have a window of amounts I come up with. I know what I need to make and I know what such a service should be worth. What I may need to experiement with is what the public is willing to pay for it. I can't start too high, or I will not be able to draw them in at the numbers I need. Keep in mind, I know of no other such business so I have nothing to go by. I feel fortunate that I have already aquired everything I need for the shows except the construction of the actual stage itself. I have about 40k to purchase whatever is needed to open the doors.

My philosophy, as flawed as it might be, is that once people see the looping hype on the plasma, the flashing lights in the pachinko parlour, and the high energy of being on a movie set, they will remember it. If they remember it, they may even pass it on. I guarantee anyone who gets a DVD will show it off and send others to my stage. Advertising within the mall will be fairly simple. I have several ways to get people to come in and atleast look around. One way is with a costume I made a couple of years ago for Halloween. 684 volts - 164 LEDS, 68 feet of EL WIRE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A New type of Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL