The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three-fly solution (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nwallace
View Profile
New user
Canada
11 Posts

Profile of nwallace
Hello there,

I am not new to magic, but new to the Café, so I thought I would post a question.

I have been perpetually working on a visual coins across as well as a verson of open traveres for quite some time, but always run into the same problem. The last coin/card.

In all the routines I have studies the last vanish seems to be the weakest. In both effects the momentum and impossibility seems to escalate, until the last coin/card, which seems very anti-climatic. It is such a beautiful effect I just can't settle for a shuttle pass or something to show my one hand empty. I work standing so lapping is not an option. I have a few solutions, but nothing breathtaking. Any idea's?

I appreciate the help,

Nick.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since we can't discuss precise methods in the open part of the forum, all I can say is that several performers have come up with solutions, ranging from various clips to sl******.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I'll send you a PM
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello nwallace,
There may be some truth to this and I've experienced it myself, but in Kainoa Harbottle's view, he's mentioned it on NYC Coin Magic Seminar, and I obviously can't speak for him but I agree with his comments on this, that, not necessarily a 3fly, but a coins across, it's actually the middle coins that are more problematic than the last one. For handlings of the last coin, check out-Townsend, Kenner, Latta, Kurtz, Rubinstein, Stone, Harbottle, McClintock, Thomas, Hooser etc ( sorry if I missed anyone). One of those handlings is bound to fit your personality and style. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you the one that I use.
Jim
Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Agreed with the folks above. You need to decide how important it is to you to have a nice looking vanish and ALSO if you need to show a truly empty hand afterwards.

There are classic methods of getting clean after the apparent vanish and it's up to you to choose what works best for you. From the methods in Bobo's to using mehcanical help there are plenty of ways to solve the problem. But what works best for you really depends on what you wear, how you move, distance to audience, reset requirements ... ie your particular situation.

Feel free to PM if you need help NOW, or just be more active on the Café and you will soon get access to other places where its safer to discuss methods in detail.

Have you tried everything in Bobo's?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Quote:
On 2006-09-21 21:37, Godhandz wrote:
I'll send you a PM

Eric, could you send the PM to me as well?
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Last coin vanish? There's nothing up my sleeve, honest Smile
Paul
... you can even hold my wrist...
nwallace
View Profile
New user
Canada
11 Posts

Profile of nwallace
Lots of good ideas,

I think I have been over thinking the problem, searching too hard for the perfect solutions. Like steinmeyer says; " If you don't leave room for flaws, you'll be looking for a new principle of physics, not a trick."

Thanks again.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
What solution?

There is nothing wrong with the 3fly to my mind; it is just a coins across routine; if you have a solution for your coins across, just do the same thing with th 3fly and you'll be on your way, it is just that simple, I swear.

Mano.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
??

The difference between my coins across and the classical coins across is the open display. To make a coin disappear from open display is an order of magnitude more unusual in our literature. To work out a method which avoids any open fussing or transfers is likewise an order of magnitude more difficult.

After Roger Klause released his "New Theory Coins Across" back in 74 or so, the application of HPC to this moment pretty much solved the problem for the CLASSICAL coins across routine. When embellished with the Bertram-Skinner-Roth... sucker vanish (false French drop) and/or the use of an e[ gaff, one can have VERY clean looking classical coins across routines. See Roth's and Latta's work on this for examples. And when it is released, the new Liwag video.

Though to get that coin to go from fingertip display, especially when that is all you are supposed to have in your hand at that moment... is still an "in the works" project. I simply refuse to accept carrying a ring flite in my pocket as "the final answer" on this one. BUT I can't say I have a better answer for the working performer whose methods have to be 100 percent sure fire and quick reset.

What did you find works for you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three-fly solution (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL