The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hijacked (by Steve Morrison) and performed by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I would hide the "move".

I don't think the spread is illogical, though. Looks okay to me.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
One can hide the "move." Most of us with basic card skill can accomplish this. There are some decent presentations from the demo I saw and I like the cleanliness.
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
"Hide" the move & your gonna be fine, I love quick visual tricks like this & more Importantly the spectators love em Too! Something Sharp,Snappy & Straight to the point, Slays Em (N Im into that)
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I agree with ItalianMagi90023, that the most logical move for this effect is the Half Pass (with good misdirection).

I too, own the Mexican Revolution trick. In Mexican Revolution - the cards turn face-down, one by one, then the backs all change color. Hijacked - 4 Jacks change to 4 Aces. Although they both have the same gimmicked card idea, I see them as 2 different effects.

I also agree with MagicMike221 that Hijacked gets straight to the point.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Rick:

There were two effects that came in the Mexican Revolution package.

First was Mexican Revolution where 4 jacks turned over and then the backs changed color.

Then the second trick was "Jaywalk", which used the same gimick to turn 4 jokers into 4 jacks.(though in this effect the cards also turned over as well).

So we have mexicanrevolution / jaywalk with 4 jokers turning into 4 jacks, and this one is 4 jacks turning into 4 aces...

What's next, 6's turning into 5's and calling that a brand new effect?

Granted, the O******P gimick has been around in many forms for awhile, this still seems to be a ripped off Jaywalk(which came in the mexican revolution package).
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

There's no twisting effect with Highjacked. How is that a rip off?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I think we've all seen MANY effects that seem similiar to others. It is a VERY fine line between building upon an original effect, or copying the idea by making a few minor changes.

There are 3 or 4 decks out there that use the same principal as the Invisible Deck. David Regal has a great one called Alone. Is that a copy of the ID with a change in cards or is it an original idea? How about Brainwave and Twisted Sisters? We all know the list could go on forever and we'd never agree as to which effects are "copies" and which are different enough to be considered original.

Granted, there are som blatant rip-offs out there. I don't see Hijacked as one of them.

Mike
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

As long as there is a significant difference in the effect and routine, I don't see how something can be a rip off ofsomething else if it uses the same basic gaff or principal.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
This seems like it wasn't completely thought out, there could be many more possibilities with that gaff... o wait, Jay Sankey is involved... that makes sense.

Yeah... it looks like they just skipped a phase of the Mexican Revolution.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
On 2006-09-26 08:40, cfrancis wrote:
There's no twisting effect with Highjacked. How is that a rip off?

Because they just took that phase out.

Taking a phase out does not make something original, it just means you took an effect and forgot to perform a part of it.

Let me take Anniversary Waltz or something, I'll use the same gimick and the same handling, but instead of having both cards turn face up, I'll only have one turn face-up... I just left out a phase, yet should I release the effect as my own?

If you have a slight variation on a marketed effect, then throw that handling in a magazine, or your lecture notes or a book/video. To release virtually the same gimick with just a shortened handling and sell stand-alone is just in poor taste imho.

I do just want to say that for this *specific* case, my position is probably over-reacting, I just get a bit upset when I hear people say its completely fine and see no problem at all with it. This obviously isn't the worst or even near worse cases of this I've seen, but I always get a bit ticked when people start talking as if the slightest variation such as a left out phase makes it ok to release a product in direct compitition to another.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I don't own Mexican Revolution but when I watched the demo, the effect was nothing whatsoever like Highjacked. The gimmick wasn't even the same. Then I read that Mexican Revolution comes with another gimmick for another effect. So I understand what people are talking about.

However, I'm not sure it still qualifies as a rip off. The effects still read different to me simply because it seems that Mexican Revolution and Jaywalk are twisting effects first and formost with the transformations happening as kickers. With Highjacked, the transformations are the main effect.

Perhaps Steve Morrison or Sankey gives credit where credit is due in the instructions.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I received Hijacked yesterday.

First, great service and communication from MJM Magic.

We all know the basic workings of the effect but I believe it is a nice change-up from NFW and a few other similar effects. The gimmick is a bit different than the Mexican Revolution gimmick but certainly draws on the same principal. Jay Sankey teaches 5 routines and they really are varied and quite good. Two of the routines are those in the demo video. If you choose to do the "marked card" routine, please know that you will have limited yourself to only that routine as the cards, including gimmicks, are marked for only that routine, and worthless for the others.

Hijacked comes with gimmicked cards and an instructional DVD, for $20.00. You need to add the three regular aces.

For those questioning the open turnover move, I too am mystified as to why it is not hidden. He does the same very open turnover in all five routines. He does acknowledge that he does it in the open and that it is a "non-issue". He indicates that the turnover is a harbinger of things to come - the miraculous change. I disagree with the open move concept. I find it easy to re-show the 4 backs while performing an Asher Twist under the cover. You square up the "4" cards and your dirty work is done, secretly.

Again, great effect with lots of fun routine options.

Mike
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thanks for the review.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

It's not his trick, though. It's Steve Morrison's trick.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is this like Sankey's 'Five Card Stun"?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Don't know it. BTW, was a post deleted. I could have sworn I responded to a second review...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 16:06, cfrancis wrote:
Don't know it. BTW, was a post deleted. I could have sworn I responded to a second review...

Your response is in a sub trunk.
:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
How cool does Sankey look in that beret ? LOL

Its hard to know which is the best thing to buy. I haven't got NFW or this trick. Which would you recommend I get ?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Super Cards by Richard Sanders. It's a great dvd packed with tricks that are in the same style as NFW and Highjacked.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Thanks Cfrancis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hijacked (by Steve Morrison) and performed by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL