The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Card Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
Hello all,
I was wondering- I have quite a few card tricks under my belt. The problem is, with half of them, I can't seem to have patter that help s deliver the "Wow" effect. Any ideas for card magic patter in general?
Thanks,
Greg Hawkins
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's really no general patter.
Your age and who you do the tricks for will be a factor.
I'll explain later.

From what I've read about Vernon, and that's not a lot, he liked to talk about people he met in his travels.
In his "Triumph" trick he speaks of how when once showing a trick a wise guy grabbed the deck, mixed up the cards and challenged Vernon to find the card. As you may know, Vernon triumphed.
In Vernon's "Cutting the Aces" he talk's of a one-armed gambler showing him a few things with the cards.
If your quite young or you're doing tricks for people who know you well then patter like Vernon's will probably not be very believable.

The patter depends on who you are, the routine and/or the theme of your act.

Some may be presented as psycological experiments, others where the mage seeming fails but makes it all right and yet others may be about gambling.
A good many tricks don't really require story type patter and simply 'guiding' the viewer thru the routine works fine. EX: "A wave of my hand and the Ace travels from this pile to the other pile."

One idea is to build up some drama with the trick as you near the climax.
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
Thanks, Jaz.
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I really must recommend Robert Neale's "Life, Death & Other Card Tricks" for some wonderful card stories. Also, "Card Stories" by Ariel Frailich is good.

Mark
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
Robert Neale and Ariel Frailich. Thanks. I'll read up.
vance2276
View Profile
New user
Montana
72 Posts

Profile of vance2276
What does anyone think of Robert Neale's "Tricks of The Imagination"? I heard it has some good stories with tricks, but have not checked it out yet.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Card Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL