The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Side Steal DVD - Cummins or Burt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DrK
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of DrK
Any comments on the relative merits of Paul Cummins and Brad Burt's DVDs on the side steal. Recently there have been many good reviews of the Cummins DVD but I haven't found much on Burts (I have other material by him that's good). The Burt one seems to cover a broader range of material.

Thoughts please.

Thank you
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Drk, you can't learn the Side Steal from a better teacher than Paul Cummins. The DVD included 6 seperate handling for Marlo's Deliberate Side Steal. This is the best source to learn the Side Steal.

disclosure: I filmed and created Paul's DVD on the Side Steal but I still think it's the best source and Pauls the best teacher.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I haven't seen Brad's DVD, but I give Paul's DVD my highest recommendation. I was fortunate enough to learn the real work on the Side Steal from Paul in person while I was still living in Florida. Thanks to his instruction, I have a card control that I can confidently perform surrounded without fear of detection. Everything that he taught me about the move is on the DVD.

Again, not having seen the Burt DVD, I can't compare the breadth of the material. However, as Jeff mentions, Paul teaches several applications of the basic Deliberate Side Steal technique that really demonstrate the move's versatility. I can assure you that if you get Paul's DVD and put in the work it takes to master the move, you'll never regret it.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Paul Cummins is the Master of the Side Steal.

His video is excellent.

Matt Field
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I haven't seen Brad's work, but I have seen Paul many times. Paul is a great teacher and a real master of the side steal. There's also a detailed description by Paul on the Genii forum at:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......0#000001

Mike
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
I've been working with Paul's DVD for a month or so, and it is fantastic. I suggest taking a look at Marlo's Expert at the Card Table first, and using Paul's DVD after obtaining the fundamentals.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quick correction, that would be Marlo's "Side Steal" from his "Revolutionary Card Technique" series.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Also a vote for Paul Cummins Side Steal Declassified. This move, which had eluded me for for years was finally within my reach. A definite must buy!

Best,
Vlad
DrK
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of DrK
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I did expect a large vote for Paul Cummins - and so I will buy his DVD.

It would still be interesting to get a reply from anyone who has seen Brad Burt's.

Thanks again - I'll let you know my progress after viewing Paul Cummins.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
I'm definitely going to pick up the Paul Cummins DVD then!! Although I have Marlo's side steal pamphlet, I can never get it correctly Smile thanks guys!
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Order it from Paul directly at http://www.fasdiu.com

some youtube videos
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Quote:
On 2006-09-26 10:33, joesilver wrote:
I've been working with Paul's DVD for a month or so, and it is fantastic. I suggest taking a look at Marlo's Expert at the Card Table first, and using Paul's DVD after obtaining the fundamentals.

JoeSilver,
Is Marlo's "Expert at the card table" on DVD or just in text?

Thanks,
John
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
The text he was referring to is actually "Revolutionary Card Technique". It's not on DVD. The collected volume is out of print, but the individual chapters (they were originally sold as separate booklets) are easy to track down. If you're interested, the one that covers the side steal is called, appropriately enough, "Side Steal".

some youtube videos
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Paul cummins dvd is to good. He shoes a normally bad angle for the side steal and he still does it amazing. Its very smooth and natural. Seeing his side steal changed some of my opinions of the pass.

that's how good it is
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Is it possible that Brad Burt teaches the classical side steal, as contrasted with the deliberate side steal, better than Paul? I haven't seen either DVD myself; just wondering since everybody seems to be familiar with Paul's, and no one with Brad's...is it because Brad is considerably older? <ducking> My guess is they're both good in different ways...do either of them go into the side SLIP (Malini) vs the side STEAL (Leipzig), the effect of hand breadth, etc.? (For deliberate steal Paul wins no contest, from what I gather.)
theronmagic
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of theronmagic
I learned the side stele from Paul's DVD. It not only gives you a great explanation of the move, but he also gives you 6 functional ways to use it. It is worth every penny.
Magically,
Theron
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
John Heggie,

As several kind folks have pointed out, I gave the wrong book title. It is, in fact, Revolutionary Card Technique, and it's wonderful. You may be able to find a used copy. It would be well worth the effort.

Dan
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Quote:
On 2006-09-28 04:22, joesilver wrote:
John Heggie,

As several kind folks have pointed out, I gave the wrong book title. It is, in fact, Revolutionary Card Technique, and it's wonderful. You may be able to find a used copy. It would be well worth the effort.

Dan

I thought I read on here somewhere that it was going to reprinted soon. Does anybody else have any more info on that?
mortonch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of mortonch
I don't actually have either, and the side steal is a move that I have not had the time to practice (or more acurately the money to invest in a good learning source.) I have however found out what is on brads side steal dvd and posted this below. Although I don't have the side steal dvd I have brads pass dvd and have found it to be most helpful. I can therefore vouch for the fact that Brad is a good teacher.

It would be nice to hear from someone that owns the side steal and more dvd though

Segment 1 - Introduction
Segment 2 - Palming and Replacement technique, Taking a Break from A Peak
Segment 3 - The Side Steal
Segment 4 - The Side Steal Variation
Segment 5 - Card Replacements(Holding Out the Card, Hold Out Gestures)
Segment 6 - Side Steal Routines (Miracle Card, At Any Number)
Segment 7 - Side Steal Crimp Discovery
Segment 8 - Lunceford C.C. Deck with Prediction
Segment 9 - Color Changes(Side Steal Change, Erdnase Change,Push-Pull Change, Snap Change, Brad's Color Change Routine)
Segment 10 - Routine Explanation
-Chris-
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I bought brads side steal video when it first came out and it is fantastic. I loved it then and still love it today. I havent seen pauls so I couldn't compare the two. But I have seen paul do the side steal in person and it is flawless.
I don't think anyone would go wrong with either of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Side Steal DVD - Cummins or Burt? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL