The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My new 14 " street wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Proud of my new 14" wand with copper tips. The copper tips make it have a real nice weight. This probably could fit just as easily in the workshop section but since it's my new busker/street wand I thought I would post it here.

Click here to view attached image.
here and now
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Nice wand. what kind of cups are those ?
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Those are the penguin cups (faux cups)...but still pretty comfortable to work with, hopefully I can go to some jumbo cups in the future
here and now
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Looks like a pretty heavy wand! are you not worried about it wrecking your cups?
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
It's not too much heavier then a standard 13.5" with metal tips. So far, I have not noticed my cups having any dents in them so I'm assuming it's fine. Of course although I do hit my cups for the sound effect I don't "beat" them. All in all I don't think it's much different then any other metal tipped hardwood wand out there. After shopping around I came to the conclusion that I just wanted to make my own, because I could not find what I really liked without paying 100.00. I should say I seriously considered Bill Palmer's solid brass wand on his site but it looked like it was out of stock. I definately prefer a bit "heavier" wand as long as it's balanced when I spin it. Cheerio
here and now
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Taliking about wands, I have a bit of a history of being heavy handed with my wands as I bit the crap out of my table. So naturally they break. Tabman even made me 2 but guess what I broke one of them half way through a show, so the other one I have placed in my magic cabernet so I and vistors can gaze on it.
I have broken drum sticks as well.

Now I am using a Hikory stick it is simple but oh so tough I am so impressed with this that I am thinking of releasing it as the toughest wooden street wand on to the market. The waite is perfect.

Mario
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Hi Mario,can you post a picture of your wand? Sounds nice... I am also available to making a few more of the oak wands with copper tips (length/color customizable).
here and now
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Not yet but very soon.
M
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
If you like tough wands you should try the ironwood wand that Tom Franks sells with the Phoenix Cups. Toughest wand I have ever seen made out of wood. Tom used to have photos of his used cups somewhere on the net. He actually mashes the tops in so much they won't nest together any longer, and all that beating to mash them that far is done with the ironwood wand, if memory serves me correctly. Maybe Tom will comment on it.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
You can get Iron Wood (lignumvitea) wands from Alivans as well, although it says thay are all on back order at the moment.
I don't know if they are the same as the ones Tom franks bundles in with the Phoenix cups but they look like they should do the job just fine.
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
http://www.amonhogue.com/Contact.html

I posted a better picture of my wand here. If anyone is interested just pm me and I'll make more...or maybe I'm just a nut and think this is nicer than it really is! =) -Amon
here and now
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Andy, definitely not an Alivan's one with Tom's cups. Alivan's has some beautiful wands for sure.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Amon,
what are the tips made from?
I know they are copper I mean how have you fabricated/shaped them or are you using something that is that shape already?

Andy
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Magicpitch,

They do indeed have some pretty good looking wands,
Do you know of any other sources for Ironwood wands? or even just ironwood dowls for turning?

Andy
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
I found copper tubing with this shaping already.
here and now
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Cool,
bet that saves a whole chunk of time trying to shape the ends.
I keep my eyes open around plumbing supply stores but still havn't found anything that really takes my fancy, guess I'll be sticking to my drum stick for now.

Andy
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Yes I was very pleased when I found these. They were exactly what I was looking for.
here and now
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Andy, only source I have seen ANY iron wood as it this place Desert Ironwood but the blanks aren't really suited for an entire wand. My guess is Tom Frank can get you something. He's on this forum, try PM'ing him.

Good luck-
Steve
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Thanks Steve,
I might have to give that a go, I've always fancied making something a little more special than a cut down drum stick.

Andy
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
You can cut down a drum stick and still do something special to it like turning designs, paint it 2 or more colors even find some metal tips to put on it etc.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My new 14 " street wand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL