The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My new 14 " street wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
I already cut a ring about and inch from each end, My reasoning was that if Ironwood is as strong as it is supposed to be then I could create a more elaborate turning without significantly reducing the strength of the wand or having to increase the overall diameter.

and regardless of the practical issues, it would be pretty cool to have hand crafted your own ironwood wand!

Andy
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Yes it would be cool to have crafted your own ironwood. If you get some success with it post a picture. It would be cool to see
here and now
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
If I ever get round to it I will gladly post pictures of the end product,
lol its probably quite a big "If" though.
It all really depends on being able to source the raw materials.

Andy
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are at least two different woods called "ironwood." One is lignnum vitae, which, for some reason Colin Rose translates as "long life." That's not what it means. It means "wood of life." It's actual taxonomical name is Machaerium Villosum. It exudes (this is probably the first time anyone has ever posted the word "exude" at the Café) a waxy substance, which can make it slippery and hard to handle. It also warps very readily.

Another "ironwood" is the Machaerium species. It grows in Bolivia and Brazil. I'm not sure which of these Tom Frank was using.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
I have been using one of Tom's for a while and no exuding of anything so far.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I've also heard that "ironwood" is sometimes used as a generic term for a very strong wood.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think Lignum Vitae was actually used for bearings on old wooden wagons. The self lubricating properties meant they didn't have to grease them up with pitch like other wagon wheels.

There's something called Ironwood that's readily found in Arizona or New Mexico. It polishes up beautifully, but is very hard to work. It wears down tools like crazy and the wood dust is toxic.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
At the risk of ****ing someone off:
*You can't turn a dowel
*They don't make Lignum Vitae dowels anyway
*The term Ironwood is non-specific as to genus
*The Phoenix Cups came with a stick that was about the density of Oak.
Bill, I'm curious as to where you found that taxonomy? My understanding is that Lignum Vitae is of the Guaiacum genus.
Look, if you want to find out if your wand is the density of Lignum Vitae, something only a handful of species approach, there is a simple test. Get a pan of water and see if your wand floats or not. If it does, it's not. If it sinks like a rock, it just might be.
I make them, not that often, but I do. The wood is frightfully expensive and the turning blanks that you see advertised are for Pens, short little blocks that can be turned easily. Not of the size you'd need for a wand.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Bill,
I found some images of Machaerium Villosum finally. It looks very similar, but I don't think that is the accepted Lignum Vitae. Seems that Machaerium.. is made in thin flat boards. If I was going to plane wood, the last thing I'd want to try it on would be Guaia..what I said earlier.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I didn't say that Machaerium Villosum was lignum vitae. I said it was one of the species called ironwood. Lignum vitae is definitely the Guaiacum genus. I don't know if I would try to turn either one of these. They are both very messy woods. To turn them, you would really want to use metalworking tools.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Ooops! 'my worse.
As long as I keep my tools sharp, I do alright (there's a lesson there somewhere).
You might get some "tear-out" problems with metal working tools, but that is just extrapolation on my part not having done it myself.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Eric,

please forgive my unbelivable stupidity in using the term "dowl" in reference to sourcing an Ironwood blank.

I never realised what was going to be involved in the process, had I done so I would never have been so foolish as to even sugest such an outrageous project.

Thanks for putting me straight.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
No worries Mate!

I hope things are well for you in 'ol Britannia (I hope that's not a faux pas; my being a Yank and all).

All the best!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My new 14 " street wand (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL