The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Adding mentalism to a variety act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Melmoth
View Profile
New user
Ohio
3 Posts

Profile of Melmoth
Time for the most dreaded words in this thread; I'm completely new to mentalism. That said; I'm not new to performing. I am looking to add mentalism to a juggling/sideshow act I'm putting together and also to bring it into a fire act I've largely got together already.

I'm looking to really connect with people in ways they won't see coming based on the apparent nature of the act; catch them off guard and hopefully add a lot to their experience. I want to stay away from cards, and generally away from anything that would give the appearance of being a prop (like prepared symbol cards, etc...) I am planning on getting Electric Touch by Yigal Mesika to use as subtly as possible to enhance other parts of the show.

All that said; I'd suppose I'm probably looking for book or dvd reccomendations. From what I gather in the other 'help me I'm a noob' threads, Corrinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism seems like a good place to start. Any advice / direction / thoughts on mentalism in a fireeating act / what have you would be greatly appreciated.
The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

-Eden Phillpotts
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I am not sure what juggling and fire have to do with mentalism. With mentalism your dealing with people's thoughts and feelings. Maybe something in the realm of " mental magic " might be what your looking for. Do a search under Larry Becker and you find some gems there.

Welcome to the Café!!

rick~
Self concept is destiny..
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Man it is a art and you gotta start at the beiginning and be ready for a couple of years work.

But it will be fun.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Melmoth
View Profile
New user
Ohio
3 Posts

Profile of Melmoth
Again - being a newcomer - had to look up mental magic on wiki:
(if this isn't in the right ballpark I apologize)

Mental magic is a term coined in entertainment for the combined presentation of feats of mentalism and magic (illusion). This was to make it distinct from acts of pure mentalism which often pass themselves off as supernatural abilities, whereas the combination with stage magic normally expresses that it is simply sleight of hand.

I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Everything I do thus far is 'real' - I really hammer a steel nail into my head or I really blast a pillar of flame out of my mouth. What I'm interested in are effects that don't come off as 'stage tricks' or sleight of hand; not that I don't enjoy those very much also.

---------------------------------------------
I am not sure what juggling and fire have to do with mentalism.
---------------------------------------------

Besides being entertainment they do not have a great deal in common; I'm hedging a bet that they may act as complements. I've always loved the atmosphere and tone I see in mentalist acts, and in the crudest sense I want to try to mix that up with some other things to see what happens.

I look forward to those years of work it will take to develop and I'm not so conceited as to think I can or should start anywhere but the begining. (I am; however; still quite conceited) From what I can tell from my limited vantage here in complete ignorance there are several begininning points; and infinate paths extending out from them. If not a road map, could someone offer a general heading?
The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

-Eden Phillpotts
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
The fun is going to be in finding an effect or two that will serve as a complement for what you already do.

It's true that a lot of Larry Becker's material is sometimes considered "mental magic," but I really don't know what the difference is between that and "mentalism" anyway. Nevertheless, Larry has created some truly baffling routines. Remember also that effects that seem simple to you can have a tremendous impact on the audience, if presented correctly.

Another valuable reference is Practical Mental Effects by Ted Annemann.

Have fun!

Joe Libby
http://www.joelibby.net
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I agree that what you may be looking for is more along the lines of Mental Magic.

Being that you are looking to augment an already established variety act with a couple of 'mind mysteries',may I suggest:Tarbell Vols.4,5,or 6.

Best.
Rich
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Is this a case of not knowing what you want to be when you grow up? I would suggest specialize in what you do and make your mark that way.

If you still want to add other elements to your show, may I suggest balloon animals? They are a lot easier than mentalism. Well, at least the basic animals are.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Ashes to Arm might go good with your fire act.

Use your favorite force.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Decide which "mental power" you wish to demonstrate (Clairvoyance, OOB Travel, psychoikenisis, memory, psychometry, second site) AND how it fits with your material. (If you are doing fire I would suggesy spoon or other metal bending to "expel the now absorbed heat in your body.)

Too broad a range of material for you to choose from? Check out Becker's materials --- they are the most "physical" and fit well with standard magic.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
It's really easy to do really bad mentalism/mental magic. Unfortunately, it's really hard to do really convincing mentalism. To be effecive, mentalism must be entwined with the performer's (stage) personality.

My short explanation of the difference between mentalism and mental magic (and there is a big difference) is this. Mental magic involves the demonstration of mind-related phenomena, but in a way implying that trickery may be involved. I don't mean an explicit statement of trickery, but even a demeanor by the performer that allows the audience to consider trickery as a reasonable explanation. In short, mental magic is a magician doing mentalism, but he is still a magician.

The presentation of mentalism is such that the audience will seriously consider the possibility that it is a genuine ability. So a mentalist is a mentalist doing mentalism. (Yes, that sentence is correct.) He is not a magician, nor does the mentalist have that mindset. I am presently expanding my repertoire from bizarre magic (cousin of mentalism) to "mentalism." In that process, I realize that I must be constantly aware of my background and avoid the "magician" mindset.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I good thught transmission effect for magician is Dr. Jax Supersonic------ Check Williams Magic in Tucson.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
KRamsay
View Profile
New user
KRamsay
16 Posts

Profile of KRamsay
What about something like Ghost Lighter. As an after thought you make the lighter you've just "used" fall from a table using "telekenesis". Or perhaps a danger effect like the one with the metal spikes under the foam cups. Sorry I can't remember the name. I'm sure there's plenty of versions out there. Since you will have a lot of juggling props with you. What about a prediction effect where your spectator chooses one of your juggling props and you show a "previously" made prediction to be correct. Just a little brainstorming for ya.
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
As you mentioned youreself also, the Corrinda's "13 Steps to Mentalism" seems like a good place to start Smile
Melmoth
View Profile
New user
Ohio
3 Posts

Profile of Melmoth
Thanks for advice to everyone offered some. Off I go.

-Eden Phillpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Adding mentalism to a variety act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL