The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nature-themed effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Any good magic out there with themes of the cycle of life, the beauty of the natural world, etc?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4198 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
You could adapt a Jim Steinmeyer effect from his current book The "Conjuring Anthology" called "Making Time"...A demonstraton in going back in time. It is done with a spectator, a diary and a autumn leaf and they all travel back a year or so.
You get the picture...and a nice effect using a leaf.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I have a Wizard presentation called "Autumn Leaves" in the current issue of The Wizards' Journal (#10) on my site. Instead of going back in time, I chose to end the routine by going forward in time from Autumn to the next Spring, indicated by having a branch from which the autumn leaves drop to the floor at the beginning of the routine, become restored to green leaves and blossoms at the end of it. Of course, in between we have a variation of "Wintertime in China" and an Autumn Leaf dance while the Wizard plays on a flute, recorder, or pan pipes. Some of the leaves do burst into flames at the end of their dance, but that's about as bizarre as it gets. I'm sure someone with a darker motive could work it into a truly bizarre presentation.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
You know, Eddie, right after I wrote my post, I thought of the "Making Time" effect. I just read Steinmeyer's book last month. I will pull it out. I remember being "underwhelmed" by it originally, but maybe I can come up with a more dynamic presentation for it.

Professor Spellbinder,

Your routine looks fun. Do you think it can be done without the reference to Harry Potter (whom I know nothing about, and plan to keep it that way...)? And I've never donw "Snowstorm in China." Will I need to buy a lot of supplies to make your effect work?

Thanks so much,
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The reference to the Whomping Willow in the Harry Potter movie only works if you are performing for kids, so feel free to leave it out. Rather than make all the leaves fall from the branch at once (a la Whomping Willow) by making each stem a different length, the leaves will drop more naturally one by one.

Wintertime in China is not quite the same as the commercial "Snow-storm" in wherever.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
It seems to me that Jeff McBride's chapter in "The Mystery School Book" might fit this theme.

Raven
What would Wavy do?
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Hey,

I suggest watching WILLOW (1988) it is a great old film and it just came out on dvd on tuesday and I bought it.. there is a good torch thru arm illusion that looks like a small log
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Creation of Life, a classic among the classics.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Nature inspired magic has been something which has transformed me entirely.

For a few years now, I have sought to perform without props and using Mother Earth and her own settings as a stage.

Some things I have worked with in depth include:

Cloud Melting

Readings involving collected objects; leaves, sticks, stones, pine cones, flowers, etc. It is one of the more pure joys I have, giving the querents readings based on the objects they have collected.

Luke Jermay has a great bit from Building Blocks wherein the natural lines and folds from a leaf begin to shift and pulsate with energy. This also works great with tree bark.

Psychological Sub's in Nature are both many and fitting.

All manner of things regarding calling the rain and creating rainbows, calling up the wind, understanding the voices of Nature and more.

One thing I have had great success with is causing a river or stream to apparently slow down, stopping for a moment altogether. I drew my inspiration for this effect from "Have Seance, Will Travel" and it incorporates the same thinking and modalities as the Ritual of the Rock, which, by the way, is a must for the Nature inspired magician.

It is altogether easy (and practical) to perform this with a found stone or pebble, the camp fire and a small, intimate group. The results can be purifying and refreshing when approached correctly, and this is the purpose of the work.

Also, my witnesses are often placed in such states wherein they may "see" otherworldy beings of the natural world; fairies and angels, walking among them.

My bit with the streams has been enhanced with a clever bit of business wherein a small stick they have been holding is set into the slowed waters before them, and though still rushing, lingers near them for a time.

Also, individuals or groups may be inspired to seek solace in "power spots".
The mage/shaman/performer can easily detect where these places are, through muscle reading.

People may craft pendulums from bits of string and sticks, stones or even plants.

Be sure to include lots of sage, tobacco and sweetgrass . . . and if one feels so inspired, bring a drum or two and some rattles. Real magic is not so far away.

I have other idea's which include rendering the Self transparent and travelling long distances to "remote view" objects (which can be predicted/forced), evoking spirits to appear in the flames and more.

A little goes a long way here . . . it is a deep and vital experience we are seeking, not a "show", but a demonstration of natural forces.

"At will I make swift streams retire, to their fountains whilst their banks admire, Sea toss and smooth; clear clouds with clouds deform. With spells and charms I break the vipers jaw, cleave solid rocks and Oaks from their might seizures draw. Whole woods remove, the lofty mountains shake, Earth for to groan and ghosts from graves awake, and it is upon thee, Oh Nature, I draw."

Warm regards,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Dr. Hiroshi Sawa's "Lady Bug" trick and his seashell trick from the Collected Almanac are two that come to mind.

Here's a topic that may be of interest.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Geez! I need to make apologies about the seashell routine. The effect is called "Wishing Shells" by Allen Okawa and can be found in The Collected Almanac.

Here's a something else by Todd Karr:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=187
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nature-themed effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL