The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Raise Rise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
greydonthemagician
View Profile
Regular user
London, Ontario
149 Posts

Profile of greydonthemagician
Hey,
I was wondering if any does Raise Rise?
If so do you use a cover or do you do it out in the open?
I've been working on it for about 2 weeks and I can do it sometimes, I was wondering how long it took for you to learn?
Thanx in advance
greydon
MagicLive! 2015 Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4442 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It takes years to get perfect. Seriously though, stick with it if you want to do it. If you give up, then you won't get it, it's well worth it!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
It is a difficult sleight to master as are many.
Steve V
greydonthemagician
View Profile
Regular user
London, Ontario
149 Posts

Profile of greydonthemagician
Thanx, I will keep practicing it Smile
Greydon
MagicLive! 2015 Smile
ricard21
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ricard21
For me is very difficult, for me is more a training for my hands. I think is hardly impossible to make it in front of people.

Sorry for my english.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
Yeah, Raise Rise takes so much practice. I still can't do it and I've been working on it for a while. I can do the Ambitious Riser fine and I can get the outjogs. But it's doing the Ambitious Riser while shaking the deck that is hard for me to get. Definitely keep working on it though. When you get it you'll have a trick that VERY few can do well.

James
th9ma9icm8n
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of th9ma9icm8n
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
NICE.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2668 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Very, very, very nice routine Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
822 Posts

Profile of nique
This is one of those moves that I can do, but not convincing enough to perform for my gigs. As mentioned, it is the doing it while shaking the deck that is tough, and the timing is pretty tight too. I get it, but not all the time... will take lots of work.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Can someone name a book where it is published?
I know the DVD source.

Thanks
Andy
Cards never lie
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Is it worth doing when only other magicians could appreciate the work that went into it? This seems much like something that happened not to long ago around here. There was a magic show, with multiple magicians doing different acts, like a contest. Where the audience voted for the winner. Well the people I voted for didn't win. When I looked back, I realized I was voting on what impressed and entertained me as a magician. Voted on what I, knowing what was harder and more technical to pull off, rather than what was the most entertaining. The child magicians and comedy magicians won, not what I voted for. And I am not sure if any of you see the connection I am attempting to make, lol.

Although this does reminds me of something I think I remember seeing. So if what I am going to describe sounds like an effect you know of, please let me know.

So the effect was something like Raise Rise, only in that it was about a card visually moving up between cards in the deck. The difference being that the deck was staggered back, like steps, into three sections. I think the jumping card was face up, not sure about that, flush with the bottom packet, or step. The deck is help in a mechanics grip and the step rise towards you, just to be clear. There was some motion or action and the face up card was no longer on the bottom step or packet but now on top of the middle packet or step. This was repeated and the card was face up on the top of the deck.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Nique would the effect not still be incredible after allowing for some cover?, say a passing glide of the hand thus making it easier to pull off.
I haven't got round to buying the method as yet due to other priorities, I understand the time to invest in this move will be great.

Jason.
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 23:42, Andy the cardician wrote:
Can someone name a book where it is published?
I know the DVD source.

Thanks
Andy

I believe it was published in "The Magic Journal" once, However I will have to watch the DVD again, they mention it. However, Richard Kaufmann and Ray imply that this move is nearly impossible to learn from print.

I will check out the DVD when I get home, and see if I can find the source in print for you, if you would like.
Regards,

Greg Hues
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1775 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I consider raise rise to be on the same cathegory with Anti-faro springing... Totally useless sleight that's only use it to show it off to other magicians. Few people that can do it really well, like Paul R Wilson and Chad Long both said that laymen don't see it anything special. There is much more effective ways for getting outjogged card to raise to the top of the deck. I have to agree with em, I once practised it so I could do it reliably and showed it around few times and really, the bend card thing in the end of ambitious card got better reactions.

J-M
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Hi Gang,

I have to say that I'm a little rusty on this routine myself, LOL! I'll tell you a little thing I sometimes do with this that you can use if you want. I get the deck set-up and hold it in left hand dealing position, and take a small silk out of my pocket with my right hand. You can also use a bar napkin if you want. I now smoothly drag it over the deck from the front to the back and when it clears the deck, they see the card has jumped to the center. I then repeat it a couple times to make it jump near the top and, finally, on top.

You don't pause the silk as it passes over the deck, you don't have to. There's plenty of time to do "the move" when the deck is covered for a second. Try to keep your left hand as still as possible, with no visible finger movement. I know it's not as pure as the original routine, but it still looks cool and has an eerie "quiet" feel to it. Oh, and it takes less practice!

Take care,

Chad
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
287 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I watched the DVD once. I was scared to watch it again. The tricks are amazing...but so is a Steve Vai solo. Geat stuff but very hard stuff.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
It was Originally Published in "The Magical Arts Journal" Great Technique for more along these lines check out Aaron Fisher's "Ambitious Graduate" from his FISM notes.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Carlos Lacuna
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Carlos Lacuna
IMO the effect is not worth the monumental effort.
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
I would have to disagree that the effect is not worth learning because of the difficulty. If that were the case, I could use the criss cross force instead of the many many more difficult ones and probably fool them 99% of the time. However this would bore me to tears and honestly, I get satisfaction from learning a more difficult sleight, despite that a spectator couldn't care less how I achieved it. On that same note, if doing the difficult sleight makes me feel better about my performing, that will show in my style and persona and the audience will enjoy my work more.

Is it worth learning? Its truely up to you. that's the beauty of this craft. There are so many ways of accomplishing so many things, but we have to do what fits our style, and not to forgot, what makes us feel good. If Raise Rise is a routine you feel would make you confident and happy with your achievements, by all means practice it. Are there easier ways to achieve the same effect in the eyes of a spectator? of course, there always will be. It's great to please an audience, but Its fair to be a little selfish sometimes and do something for the sake of the craft.

Cheers,

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Raise Rise (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL