The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven New DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
It looks like you care! So much that you feel a need to respond to a simple, innocent question from a fellow magician, not once, but twice.

It always happens. There is always someone who has to have a smart answer in any group. Thanks for sharing yours. Now we'll sit back and wait for the next outstanding response that is sure to follow.

[quote]On 2006-10-18 22:19, RIVARDJLR wrote:
My point is ...who cares ???

Like,not like,pay the rent,the bills,the pills,the beer,make money,lose money,lose my time and yours!!!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Max states on the dvd that he indeed does use the material included. He did change his opening because he wants that to remain his.

I really like this set. This isn't filler.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
C, thank you for the "skinny".
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Outside of the whining of "why should I buy this" or "Is this Max's real stuff" etc. I believe you are really missing THE POINT that is being made by Max himself with these DVD's.
This is about the nuiances of performance not just a set of 'tricks'. Personally, the voice over that Max does as he walks through the performance makes this, to me at least, the best investment I have made in the past 12 months.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3026 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 22:51, Slim King wrote:
No Cryatal Balls, No VooDoo Dolls, No Chicken Bones, No Tarot Cards, No Celestial Bodies or anything else somewhat interesting....?????
Who would like a show like that?

It might not suit your aesthetic, Slim, but some performers have found that when there are no props to hide behind, the only thing left is the strength of your personality.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Nicodemus, you are correct. The presentation and the thinking behind it are the point of the dvds. I was just responding to mainly to Scott's post. I frankly don't understand some of the flack this set is receiving. Especially with all the cr*p that's flooding the market right now. Even if Max's style isn't your cup of tea, it's hard to deny the value of the information.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17632 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Then you agree Neil....... Like I said.......EGO.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3026 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 10:09, Slim King wrote:
Then you agree Neil....... Like I said.......EGO.

I don't understand what you're getting at, Slim, so I can't agree with you. Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Since the voice over has been mentioned [it's sort of an easter egg]that was what I learnt the most from.If it is a funny presentation that can be adapted by many with a sure fire,clever method then no one could be disapponted with the 'Bank night' effect with the 6 lunch bags. Scott Xavier,I was disappointed in your 'Hyped' effect.$50.00 for Max Holdens criss cut force.I know you improved it later on but why the rush to print with the first version.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Oh, I love the bank night effect. That might go into my stage show. And the watch routine is pure genius.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17632 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I do not believe that all Performers use Props to hide behind Smile
I should have put a smiley Face after my last post.
I believe that you (Niel) DON"T agree with me.
Baseball is played with Bats, and Gloves. It makes the game a little better. I suppose you could play the field with just your bare hands, but wouldn't that be "Just Ego"?
To me, props Enhance the performance. No need to hide behind them. To me your post sounded a little "Putdownish" if you can understand that.
My question wasn't if You the Mentalist would feel great about it, it was "Who'd like a show like that"????
I was thinking about the viewers of the show........Not the performers EGO.
Is that clearer? Smile
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Slim are you not the ultimate non prop mentalist? You do most of your stuff over the phone. Where is the prop?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17632 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I use Crystal Balls, VooDoo Boxes, Chinese Coins, Bones, VooDoo Dolls, Tarot Cards, Dice, Pirate Daubloons, and even a Modern Calculator in my live show.
I actually DO send some props to the DJ if I have the time. However, the radio stuff uses Mental Props as a rule.
Dave
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3026 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Thanks for explaining your position, Slim.

Actually, I have no problem with the use of "interesting" props (as, like Dr. Jaks, I think they can add exoticism and atmosphere). But the temptation among some lesser performers is to simply demonstrate their toys instead of impressing their audiences with the power of their personas. One can do both, but many do not.

On the other hand, I would never make the assertion that performing without such props equals self-indulgent and uninteresting theater. Just ask the millions of audience members who have been transfixed by Kreskin, Dunninger, Brown, Koran, Canasta, and Hoy (for starters).

Best,
Neil
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Wow this seems like a maximum entertainment debate...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17632 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I would ask them Neil, but I can't seem to find them. A few people have heard of Kreskin, however, very few have heard of the rest. At least in the States.
The Very Best Smile
Dave
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
As stated by many others, the commentary track is worth the price of admission to this DVD set. Everyhing else is just gravy.

Mr. Maven is not the Red Cross or a non-profit organization, he released the DVD to make money. Having said that, his respect for the art and the sincere desire for us to learn from and respect the works of mentalists from previous generations comes across clearly on the DVD. His desire for us all to become better at what we do also comes out through the themes, presentations, and processes discussed.

I believe any mentalist or magician with a sincere desire to move the art forward will find this DVD set to be a good investment.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I have placed my order for this contentious product, and look forward to posting a review for you folks. The marketing - or indeed lack of it - has worked for me. thanks for all of the info on this guys!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I own the DVD set

here are my thoughts
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......11&0
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
It was a pretty bad review
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven New DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL