The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven New DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17634 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I saw some performance footage(?) Smile on youtube last night. Not impressive to me, but perhaps to others.
MY QUESTION: Are there ANY new methods aside from what most Magician/Mentalists already have? I can write the presentations myself.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 15:51, Slim King wrote:

Baseball is played with Bats, and Gloves. It makes the game a little better. I suppose you could play the field with just your bare hands, but wouldn't that be "Just Ego"?

In some circles here in the UK it could be called "Cricket"......
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 23:10, Tony Iacoviello wrote:You get an ****ysis of the act and explanation of the effects...Mentalism is not dead!

Mentalism might not be dead, but I wish the James Bond "secret" coding, e.g., ***ysis would die a slow death..or perhaps someone here could creat a more difficult code to crack.

Now that would be a cause for deeper ****ysis for us to ****yize....

I just love the auto pilot here that adds **** in place of a n a l..come to think of it, it does strike me as being a bit too **** some how...
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Reuben

I agree with you 100%.

Tony
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1419 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 22:24, Scott Xavier wrote:
I laugh when people buy max's work. Max himself was heard stating, why would I release any of the material I perform? Well if this sh_t isn't good enough for max, why should I fork over the money for it?

At this point in retrospect, I wonder if Scott wasn't on to... Something ?

Yeah, what Is up with this "auto censoring" ? Someone cannot deal with the legitimacy of the English language ?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'm not sure about the statement attributed to Max Maven. This is the same guy who wrote the color series in the 1970s, detailing the principles that made up his act.

The reasons I enjoy the Nothing DVD set have little to nothing to do with the effects used in the act.

Tony
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1419 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2006-10-24 08:02, Slim King wrote:
I saw some performance footage(?) Smile on youtube last night. Not impressive to me, but perhaps to others.
MY QUESTION: Are there ANY new methods aside from what most Magician/Mentalists already have? I can write the presentations myself.

This is an important question and issue for many. My question, is an L&L studio audience a true reflection of the (the real world trenches) ?
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
... probably not.

Q. Did Max discuss the use/preparation etc., of patter or scripts?

That would have been interesting.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
He did go into script construction during his conversation with Michael Weber where he discussed setting an overall framework and tone for the performance. It was one of many topics discussed, so he doesn't go into great depth. You can find a more complete discussion in Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment.

Curt
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
And what about the secret wishper he did to the woman?
It's a post hipnotic order?, It's only for make the show longer?, What thinks the woman's husband about this?

I can't sleep....
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of magikcid
Just finished watching and tell you the truth I liked it. It definitely helps to have been doing mentalism for some time. Mr. Maven throws out so many tiny details which really aren't mentioned anywhere else. Little points I wouldn't even think to ask. If anything, it causes you to think about the craft. Whether you agree with what was said or not you have to think about it before forming an opinion. As to new methods. He did not bring anything to the table that I wasn't aware of, but he did bring things up about the methods that just never crossed my mind. I think it defintely was worth the money (to be honest, my girlfriend got it for me...but I did get her a Dooney and Burke bag...oh well...lol)
thinkingisbelieving
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of thinkingisbelieving
I just watched my copy last night and (speaking only for myself here), I thought it was worth the investment.

As far as the actual effects are concerned, I found them interesting. But what I got the most from was the round-table discussion on the 2nd disc. Hearing the different points of view from the others as well as Max's own self-criticism was refreshing and provided insight to developing routines. The idea of "process" is something that in my opinion is overlooked by many performers, and a lot of shows wind up being little more than a collection of effects. Speaking for myself, I appreciated the insight and I will probably be spending many rehearsals evaluating what I do based on many of the things talked about.

If you get this DVD just to learn a "few new tricks," you may be disappointed. But I viewed it from the perspective of how the information could improve my show, and I look forward to seeing the results in my next rehearsal.

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.") But I do defer to his years of experience and knowledge. If I'm going to learn from anyone - even if it's what NOT to do - Max would be a good source.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1257 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 12:34, thinkingisbelieving wrote:

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.")

I think Mr. Maven was quite emphatic on this point. You should not imitate him or his style. This would mean you agree with him here, not disagree Smile.
thinkingisbelieving
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of thinkingisbelieving
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 13:11, splice wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 12:34, thinkingisbelieving wrote:

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.")

I think Mr. Maven was quite emphatic on this point. You should not imitate him or his style. This would mean you agree with him here, not disagree Smile.

Exactly my point. I just made it in a clumsy fashion.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
The DVDs are well worth the investment.

As to comments if Max's performance for the shoot has too much dead time, it is very subjective. Why? Because you are not there, that's why. Watching a taped performance vs being there is totally different when you are being "part of" the show. Was Max as glib as he is on stage for his regular act (for those who have seen)? He isn't, and he has clearly pointed out that you are not getting the lines he uses in his shows. He doesn't need to, because his performance suits the context for the group he is performing for and more importantly his purpose of shooting the DVDs. If you want to improve on yr performance and get tips on how to better manage the crowd, there's no hard and fast rules. You can't learn that. It's an art by itself.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
You can actually learn how to manage a crowd

You learn from experience.

Also some of the dead time is when people seated down in the audience are doing whatever such as adding numbers or looking at a magazine----the rest of the audience cannot see this and they should be iether standing up or up on stage.

If the audience cannot see something that is going on--- this is dead time or rather dying time-

for someone who has performed allot- ie Max- he should know better and really should have organised himself allot better on the night.

from my angle- he turned up in a suit and went to the shops spent less that 10 minutes and less than $10 when it was time to perform- made it up as he went along this is not something worth purchasing- unless he does a good job.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Quote:
But what I got the most from was the round-table discussion on the 2nd disc. Hearing the different points of view from the others as well as Max's own self-criticism was refreshing and provided insight to developing routines.

Really? What was something you learned from the other people on the panel? I'm finding it impossible to remember a single thing anyone said other than "that was great, Max!" Go on, try...

They took the title to heart and literally said NOTHING!

Best,
James
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I cannot comment on the content of the DVD's because I've not ordered my copy of the set yet, but the concept is so intriguing. The hypothetical question has been talked about ad nauseum here, and this is the first I've seen (on commercially released DVD, anyway) anybody really try it out... put it into practice. I think it would be neat to see other performers come up with the other concepts that involve a high degree of risk (that's pretty much why this is intriguing isn't it... how someone gets out of a jam and completes their mission... anybody know if "24" is a hit show or not?) and film it. Kudos to Max for having the bits to do this raw and publicly release it. At the very least I admire his courage.
mentalskeptic
View Profile
Regular user
Hollywood, CA
147 Posts

Profile of mentalskeptic
I think most performers, in a perfect world, would get more out of the talk about the theory, reasoning behind his actions, explanations for how/why he dealth with a spectator in this or that way, etc. than any tipping of methods, although the explanation and elaboration on the parasight routine is also valuable.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking, since so many magicians and mentalists both are much more into collecting secrets than perfecting one's art. Am I sounding curmudgeonly before my time?
"Few have the courage of their convictions; fewer still, the courage for an attack on their convictions." — Nietzsche
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Don't worry mentalskeptic,

With so many different personalities in magic (heck, in the world) I think there is plenty room for both theory and collecting secrets. Tommy Wonder obviously thought so judging by the content of his books and I can't think of many who would argue with him. Another example is Max Maven himself. He has a lot of theory is his work, but also lots of tricks (I'm thinking of Prism, for example). I love a good intelligent, thoughtful approach to magic but sometimes its just plain more fun to collect secrets. I guess its kind of like with movies... sometimes you're in the mood for "Lord of the Rings", and sometimes you just want a little "Better Off Dead."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven New DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL