The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Dyslexia, Lefties and more (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello all,

I just received a question from a client who wanted to know if I had any technique to help a left handed person work through magic instructions. This is a question that has come up many times over the years across the magic counter. Let’s face it, most magic instructions are difficult enough with out having to attempt a transposition of the left this and right that on a continual basis.

I gave him the stock advice that I could remember right off: Physically change the copy in the books, etc. But, in the back of my mind was a REALLY great idea and I just couldn’t pull it out. Then….! I had it.

It all came about as I was working with a private student who suffered from a severe form of dyslexia. His particular problem was in just ‘reading’ the material at all. Note by the way that that vast majority of those who suffer from dyslexia are WAY above average in intelligence to genius level. No one knows why this is, but it’s a fact!

So smarts was not the clients problem.

At the same time I had several clients that were complaining of being left handed and all the magic books being, of course, written for right handed folk.

Hmmmm…..I struggled along with both problems, but mostly the problem of my dyslexic friend really haunted me. And, then it came to me. I had just gotten a small cassette recorder. I took a trick from a book that I wanted my student to learn and I slowly read the working onto the tape!!! I left in creative pauses and basically attempted to make a tape that would allow my client to learn the material in a focused and workable manner. It was in fact an experiment.

Well, I gave the client the tape and asked him to take it home and see what happened. He came back in two days and performed the routine for me: Almost perfectly! He was ecstatic. Here was a technique that would bypass his dyslexia that really did work. From that point his wife did the recording and our lessons continued at a much more productive pace.

But, this technique is GREAT for Lefties. You simply read the material onto the tape doing a kind of Right to Left translation process. The value here is that is bypasses the visual cues of the written word allowing a much more linear and uncluttered manner of learning the material. I suggested it to my lefty friends and again it was huge success.

But, it is also a much more painless way to just learn routines and technique in the general! Think about it: Instead of the inevitable looking back and forth and back and forth and losing your place, etc. You now can look at the illustrations AND listen to the instruction at the same time. This ups the continuity between what you see and what you are supposed to do without breaking one visual context for the other. No jumping from words to pictures and back again.

Essentially, this is a painless way to learn technical magic tricks and techniques for anyone! Give it a try…

All best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt » » Dyslexia, Lefties and more (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL