The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer Security/paypal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey guys,hope everyone is keeping well! Just a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with.I posted here a few months back in relation to a computer tech problem(Im useless with technology!) and you guys were great so if you don't mind here I go again....

Ok Im purchasing an item on a site (im using Paypal) and I see the yellow lock on the bottom right of my screen..it says "SSL Secure (128Bit) which is great but last time I was on paypal it said SSL Seure (40Bit) Why is it only 40 Bit this time round and does it make a difference?...Im thinking it may but I honestly have no idea!

Also speaking of paypal,what If someone hacked into my account (I don't know how this would be possible but I guess there must be a way..spyware or something?) I assume my credit card details would not be on show..because even I when signed into paypal can not view my credit card details?

Last one I promise once again in relation to paypall if someone gained access to my account would they be able to clean my credit card out by just sending all my funds into their account? Is this possible and does anyone know what security measures paypal takes to stop this from happenning? I like paypal but be great if I knew some of the answers to these questions above.

Thanks everyone,appreciate your time,help and your patience for my ignorance Smile

All the best,

Pete Carroll
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Lol will do! I think I may not like what Im about to read! Smile
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
For what it's worth, I have no problem with it.

Link your Paypal funds to a dedicated checking/creditcard account if you're worried - minimize your risk.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
40 bit encryption is pretty standard, but 128 bit is considered military level secure and goes up from there. This is how your info is scrambled to hide the details and read at the other web site. So if someone is tapping your internet connection or the other side, your info is more difficult to read. Determined people can crack 40 bit and even 128 bit if given enough time and cpu power, but it is less common than the password hackers.

So one thing to do to protect yourself is to use good passwords, i.e. 8-12 letters and numbers including some capital and lower case letters and numeric digits, plus a few special characters like #$*-. do not use a simple name or word that can be checked in a dictionary. Do combine several word and misspell them like: Happi&Brith%DoY1965.

Also as said above keeping a separate credit card with a low limit and a separate checking account with a minimum balance also limits your risk. You need to check with your credit card supplier to find out the limits of liability with misuse. and check your balances online frequently to catch misuse early.

If someone gets your password and log-in as you they could buy stuff until your credit is gone. So keep a good password a secret and change it every few months at least. As for all the other things and paypal policies please consult with the buyer protection topic on the Paypal website.

It is a convenient way for the seller to take credit cards, but someone always has a few issues and will not trust them. Buyers usually have the credit card company to back up complaints so they are better protected.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Paypalsucks.com is an old outdated diatribe by mostly disgruntled former employees of the 'old' paypal,before it was aquired by eBay.

Today paypal is great.

Like any other transaction system,there will be a glitch now and then.

Think about the hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of paypal transactions daily with no problem whatsoever.

Rich
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks everyone for all your time and help!Magic.J.Manuel thanks for the great post! I think I shall stick with paypal and as suggested change my password from time to time.Thanks again everyone and I wish you all a great weekend! Smile

Pete
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-29 01:14, PaleoMagi wrote:
Paypalsucks.com is an old outdated diatribe by mostly disgruntled former employees of the 'old' paypal,before it was aquired by eBay.

Today paypal is great.

Like any other transaction system,there will be a glitch now and then.

Think about the hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of paypal transactions daily with no problem whatsoever.

Rich
I strongly disagree. paypalsucks.com is not run by disgruntled former employees, and the problem did not end when eBay acquired it. They currently have $1500 of mine that they are holding for no good reason, while they do an "investigation," and after the investigation I am subject to a credit check at my expense, and if they don't like my credit report, for whatever reason, they will keep my money. That is the most unfair terms of service I have ever heard of, and it is unlike any other credit card or banking institution. The terms of service are one-sided and unfair. They may have changed owners, but the same awful policies are in place. These are not "glitches" - they are Terms of Service. I don't know where you get your data about "no problems whatsoever" but you are just plain wrong about that one.

If you are going to use paypal then you should do the following:

1) Have a dedicated bank account that is used ONLY for paypal transactions.

2) As soon as you have $ in the paypal account transfer it to your bank account, or withdraw it somehow, and then once it is safe in your bank account transfer it to another bank account. Never leave money in PayPal or in your bank account that your paypal account is linked to.

3) Only ship to CONFIRMED addresses since PayPal will not cut you any slack if you don't and the transaction goes bad.

4) Always use USPS delivery Confirmation, or UPS or Fedex, or some sort of traceable tracking to ship your packages. If there are ever any problems with your account they will require that you show the online shipping tracking for each and every transaction, otherwise they will find you are at fault automatically.

5) If you have 2 paypal accounts never transfer money between them - paypal sees this as suspicious and they may freeze your accounts as a result.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer Security/paypal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL