The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I did one nail last night, for the first time in front of an audience. This morning I'm thinking, gee, what about NO nails? After one, it should be easy!

I also did iron maiden, using a layer of barbed wire on top. It was impractical to have people standing on me, under those conditions. They were too uncomfortable with the situation, to have real stability. I got cut up a bit. Not the first time, probably not the last. Dead weight would be another issue.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have often toyed with the idea of the no nail bed...But I need to find someone to instruct me properly on how to lay on it so I don't get hurt...
Seroiusly...the 1 nail bed is an intimidation I don't think I'll ever try to get over. Wish I could have seen it.
The iron maiden is not something I have come accross yet. Would you mind a bit of description on that? Is it sandwhiching between two nail beds? (Or in this case, barbed wire?)
I'm thinking I just don't know the term.
Gwyd
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, iron maiden is being sandwiched between two beds.

There are several variations being claimed as records right now, nails and glass being foremost on the list. The basic idea is the same...sharp things underneath, sharp things on top. Then add weight. The current record is somewhere around 1600 lbs, between two beds.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
One nail? Amazing!

I know you've been working on it but, how long did you have to "work" on it?

Don't think there will be many people with the balls to steal that from you.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
What is the spread of the nails, the smaller the spread the more weight that can be added. so I am guessing one has to use the same spread, same type of wood and nails. I have been wanting to build one. but with the prices going up on nails and wood. Smile I was able to afford it right when I started planning. by the time I had it all worked out the price jumped on everything because of the hurricanes.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
With a BON, the basic stunt is simple enough. To make it interesting, people have traditionally done two things...had blocks smashed on them with a sledgehammer, and added weight. Adding weight can sometimes be more interesting, by making a show of it, or adding another layer of something that people perceive (often correctly) as being painful.

Thus, it's about perception of pain, and sometimes the reality of it.

Tim Cridland recently did about 2300 lbs of weight. My personal best is about 2700.

There are several ways to look at it, but essentially, you're changing the relationship between the amount of mass that's in play, and the amount of spots over which it's spread.

With a thousand nails, spread 1" apart, if you use 200 lbs, you have 2 1/2-3 oz on any given nail, not a lot.

With four nails, which I've been doing for almost 20 years, it's 50 lb per nail. Do the math, using the area of the tip of the nail, and it works out to about 13, 800 PSI, on each nail. Since there's an inverse relationship at work, one nail means 54, 800 PSI.

There's no room for error.

Ag, please save your money for a bit, and come to either Todd or me, for classes. You'll learn a great deal, that will give you a very solid start, and save you many hassles and injuries.

www.bladewalker.com
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Will do? How would I go about that?

and I have built a small one for demonstrations in a physics class. which is my minor in college.

But even that wont be as good as learning from an experienced pro like your self.

[and angel thought he was big and bad with that hummer.]

thanks
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I did 10 nails once. Ouch. She had just painted them too.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Doug's just scratching the surface, you old dawg! And I bet you just happened to have a bottle of remover around... Isn't that when you get the brush off?

I didn't think that this bed should be a one-off, singular though it may be. It will be seen again, and on a regular basis. I have the technique pretty well down, but it might take a while to figure out how to present it for best effect.

Angel didn't have a Hummer on him. He did a great trick.

Ag, Todd teaches a couple of times a year, at Coney Island. There's a piece on their school, on their website. I teach sporadically, usually in warm weather, so we can do things outside. While we teach some of the same technical skills, I tend to get more heavily into escapes and showmanship, and some psych things that make your approach work better.

www.bladewalker.com
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Its all good. I might see about next summer, if that would be good for you.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Harley,

Congrats on the ultimate BON presentation (as far as I'm concerned)!

I'm still in awe of actually seeing the 4 nail presentation and the build for that. Physics aside, it is still a very compelling display of self-control with a very real danger element. I remember talking to you about 2 nails and your work on one nail (then not for public display), and thinking, "man this guy is really about pushing the limits of a demonstration as much as it is about build and showmanship."

Having actually seen me on a bed of nails, you can probably guess why the closest I'd do is present a really nice exhibit that would feature "twenty angels dancing on the head of a nail" or something like that. It wouldn't be my own body at risk, but hey, when was the last time you saw 20 angels, let alone engaged in the act of dancing on such a small surface?

Once more, congrats!

Chris
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Congrats.! I've been waiting to hear about the one-nail bed. Glad to know it's going well.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Thanks!

Chris, I think you mentioned the 20 angel idea to me, once before. I'd really like to see that. I'm not sure why, but Docc Hilford's work on Ball and Tube comes to mind.

www.bladewalker.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Harley,

It was probably when I was on the bed of nails and you were hitting me with all of that therapist babble that I usually lay on my clients. Man, that was an education for me!

Chris
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
See? There's real-world application for that stuff!

www.bladewalker.com
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
You might have answered this, and I am blind. But what size is the nail. Or is actually a spike. Since the biggest nail that I have ever worked with was roughly 3 inches maybe 3.5in. after that they become spikes. (i am a homedepot addict, and my cousin worked there, and I wouldnt mind a job there.)

Just curios. and I would love to see a pic or even a video of you performing it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I have no pix or video yet. And I can't even distract myself enough to look at the faces in the audience. I just hear them, and that tells me I'm on track.

9" spikes are my preference, for minimal beds. It might sound stupid to say 9, rather than 8 or 10, but it has to do with body mechanics.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nail (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL