The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Your looks... How important is it to your Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I always tell people I AM in shape...after all...round is a shape Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2002-12-27 16:22, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
You certainly don't have to be good-looking, but it does help. Ask DB, DC, S&R, Lance, Bret Daniels, Jonathan David Bass, Jonathan Pendragon etc. I'm quite sure they'll agree.
But I do agree that you can be successful regardless of your looks. Penn & Teller are no models but they're successful.

You certainly do not need to look like a fashion model to be successful. I think, though, that it is important to look YOUR very best, whatever that may be.
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
It`s good to wear something they will remember and it`s also good, if it`s unique, so when you become famous you are going to see people dressing like you more and more, that should be fun Smile

God Bless You, I Love You
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The clothes can make or break the woman, man or character.

I once saw a short, balding, very heavy magician, wearing a nice tuxedo and doing a Linking Rings routine. He was sweating profusely. For some reason the whole thing just didn't seem right.

Basically, be neat, clean, know your role and dress accordingly.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2002-12-27 16:22, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

You certainly don't have to be good-looking

Thats for *** sure. Smile
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I do a dual magic show and we wear a suit jacket black pants, top hats, and a white dress shirt no tie with top button undone. Is this acceptable?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The proof is in the pudding!

However, to me wearing a top hat with a suit coat is much like a lady wearing wool socks with slinky high heels. They just don't go together. It seems as out of place as a pilot's helmet.

I would ditch the top hat for something that would go with a suit coat. Even a cowboy hat would be a better match. But I'm sure you can beat that. If your hats are noticeably different from each other, the audience can identify you better too. Perhaps one straw and one felt? Pick hats people wear with suit coats.

My vote is to ditch the top hat, but experiment with other hats until you can identify yourselves. It could be fun.

Good luck! I’m sure you will find something good.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
The best advice in magic and everything else in life is Be Yourself , in other words find what works for you .
Magic is Everywhere
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
I find it important to dress formally when I am doing a paid show or any charity shows. I am getting paid, it won't hurt to look my best and for charity....well just looking nice for charity gives an aura of respect about you.

For every-day stuff, I usually wear casual clothing (jeans or shorts, white t-shirt, and than a riffled tux shirt [I just like wearing tux shirt]).
- Tommy Magic
Parsoni
View Profile
New user
Bill Crawford
9 Posts

Profile of Parsoni
When I walk into A room there is no doubt as to which person is the magician I always wear a tux. If you are going to be there be the best dress man in the house.
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Wear what suits you character.

Guy Hollingworth would look ridiculous in what Tamariz wears and vice versa.

S
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 17:13, Jaz wrote:
I once saw a short, balding, very heavy magician, wearing a nice tuxedo and doing a Linking Rings routine. He was sweating profusely. For some reason the whole thing just didn't seem right.

Although I don't have much extra weight on me, I generate a lot of body heat. I wear worsted wool jackets, with T-shirts or banded collar shirts (I hate the strangled feeling of wearing a tie), with lightweight dress slacks. I wear light clothes even in the dead of winter, because I have to be comfortable to have fun. I think it's more important to look comfortable in what you wear, otherwise the audience starts to get uneasy when watching you perform.

As for Copperfield's look, wouldn't that be considered "grundge chic"? lol Can't knock it, it works for him.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
All great Advice!

Will Heed!

Thanks! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
I find looks rather important to my magic. I basically look good in black and feel comfortable in it in general so normally it’s black. A bit of a cleshay I know.
I’m careful to try and stay average weight though i’m currently trying tslim down a bit (I’m an average 8:10 but I feel I would feel better as an 8:05). My magic ‘style’ is quite graceful and smooth and so I find that it works best not to be to bulky in appearance for my character.

Normally I try to look individual as I am aware a lot of magicians now a days wear black suits so I resort to a more casual slightly gothic appearance. I am lucky I have a rather slender and pale skinned (anemic) and so I never wear gloves so my hands and face are large focus points.
I design costumes sometimes and the other day I found a watch in an antique place and turned it into a pendant which seems to have become a signature (subtle gold on silver chain, grey back with old roman numerals, quite nice really!). And I have a fair collection of jewellery which suits my clothes – none of which is gothic but rather mysterious and charitable.
I cut my hair short a while ago as I found the pony tail far to common amongst girls so I cut shortish it and died it black with red highlights. Being a female magician in a male dominated profession it really helps show a separation from the few female magicians I have seen with long hair.
It’s hard to explain but everything I wear I just make sure it is individual yet not intimidating. Black long sleeved t-shirt, black bondage jeans and a few accessories such a a beret, ring, pendant etc works wonders for me. I just think its important to look individual yet not over the top.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Looking back at this thread, I remembered the "rules of etiquette" as my rodeo-producer uncle taught them to me.

My favorite event was bareback broncs. (Short guys have an advantage in that event. I'm 5' 9".) He always suggested, in spite of the fact that whether or not I made the 8 seconds odds of getting my shirt dirty were high, that I wear a white shirt. It was "taking care of business". The prize money came from people who bought tickets. They were due the respect.

Now at age sixty, I wonder how many other things it did for me too. Did it influence my confidence, the judges' opinions, and the spectators' support? In plainspoken "cowboy", I think the answer is "Yep!"

It applies to magic too.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I weigh the same as I did when I was in high school 180 lbs. As a rule magicians are mainly interested in a taupe that looks like a dead squirl, and as much flashy gold jewelry as possible, which is why I call myself a juggler who does magic.

Pride in your apearance starts at the waist line.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
This a big thread and also great one, as many have said it already in here , I just want to add my two cents. Well, you have to be clean certainly but that is not only in magic you have to be clean anyway whatever you do. I once went to a magic lecture and there was about 40 people 35 of them were those too busy practising and doing magic and have no time to take shower, shave, dress properly or clean their yellow fingers from burned nicotine, it was summer quite hot in there and the whole place smelled like "bookies". THe bottom line is be yourself , but if being yourself makes you take shower once a month or a week, the you certainly have to not be yourself and start taking shower everyday,or at least before you do a show or perform for people.

Looking fit, healthy and good adds points to your overall appearance obviously, but some people cant help it, in that case try and look neat and presentable and consistent.

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Advice I was given and agree with highly. Just be yourself! Having your own style, presentation etc will help you stand out. If you’re good that's a good thing if not you get the idea. But you won't have to worry about what fits since it's natural for you.
John
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You not only want to be in good physical shape, but I feel you must be the best dressed man in the room. I also like to be the loudest dressed man in the room, so they see me coming, but that's just my style.
BOY WHAT AN OLD THREAD
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
A great thread. I agree with what is being said. I would only add that I toss my cotsume shirts the minute they start to show any wear. And yes, use an both a steamer and a lint brush.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Your looks... How important is it to your Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL