The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » A GREAT Clown has passed. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just got an eMail from the grandaughter of Dave Twomey..."Happy The Clown" has pased on after a long dificult illness. Many, mostly on the West Coast may remember Dave's terrific 'Happy Time Circus' which played Fairs and events for many many years, much of the time as a free show for the Public. Happy's would feature Magic...some trained Dogs that he would train himself...maybe some Birds...a juggling act and of course the spectacular and outrageously infectious clowning of Happy himself. He was right up there with the greats when it came to professional application of both makeup, costuming and demeanor. His BIG booming voice could be heard across the midway.

I once had my Sideshow Museum with Dave's Circus at Placerville and got to slough the large one ring Top with Dave at the end of the run. What a treat.
Dave was a great friend to all and loyal to a fault.

Once when we were not doing all that well with our show we stopped by to see Dave's show...and we walked the midway just chatting...after my daughter and I got to the car and I went to my pocket for my keys, there was $100 this man had slipped into my pocket (somehow!!). I went back to return it but he would have none of that!!! His words were
"Doug...we are FAT this month...what good am I if I can't help out a friend and fellow showman? You'ld do the same for me."

What a man. What a Clown.

He had been living in Filmore in a tiny trailer for years on Bobby Reynold's property. Eventually was in a rest home where he could have his blodd tranferred 5 times a week.

'Happy' is gone. No more Chjistmas cards every year to ALL those he knew. Most who never returned the favor...but the cards came anyway...year after year.

A BIG heart has stopped.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I regret never getting to speak to him.

He sounded like one of the most amazing fellows.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
"And Elijah said to Berokah, 'These two will also share in the world to come.' Berokah then asked them, 'What is your occupation?' They replied, 'We are merrymakers. When we see a person who is downhearted we cheer him up.' And Elijah said, 'These two are among the few who will inherit the kingdom of heaven.'”

The world darkens a bit when a clown's heart stills, but heaven brightens in anticipation of receiving a soul so filled with selfless love and boundless humor. Let us hope that we meet him there.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I am saddened a great deal by the news. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, especially to those of you who knew him personally. May he live on in our hearts and minds as life continues without this respected figure in clown history.

With deepest sympathy,
Daniel Santos
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Deepest regrets for his family and fans.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » A GREAT Clown has passed. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL