We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Jay Sankey Video/DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
As a beginner magician I have found Jay Sankey to be intriguing. It seems that he teaches a wide variety of techniques and performances that are spectacular and can be learned by an inexperienced magician.

What have been your experiences with his stuff? Is it good for a beginner who's been learning out of The Royal Road... and Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia? Thanks for your insights.

Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I own a few of Sankey's videos and I like the guy - a lot! As a beginner, though, I'd have to suggest that you go with Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. It's a great series, Ammar is incredible, and it will give you a great foundation to build upon!

Good luck!
William Holcomb
Teobaldus
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Teobaldus
Sankeytized 1 and 2 are good for beginners, but in my opinion, you should buy better videos like Encyclopedia of Card Sleights if you want card techniques because the videos from Jay Sankey are too incomplete. Who´s Afraid of Invisible Thread from Le Clair is a good choice if you want to perform magic with IT without a reel. These are just examples. Pay a little more for video that you will use in the future too.
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
I'd go with William, try Ammar or Daryl, then move to Sankey. Not that Sankey is extremely hard, but you'll be able to appreciate it a lot more.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of ashah
I agree. Sankey is good, but it's best to start out with guys like Ammar and Daryl especially.
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
121 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
Go with Ammar. Daryl's encyclopedis of Sleights is great for learning alot of sleights. Ammar is going to teach alot of routines. Some are easy others take a little work the most important thing is to start with the practicaly self working ones and concentrate on presentation. Move along at your own pace.

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I agree, go with Ammar. Jay sankey is great, but for a beginner I would reccomend the ETM_M series. Not only do you learn a lot of good tricks and sleights, but it gives you a good backround in each category.
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
Yet another vote for Ammar and Daryl for a beginner. Sankey brings some great, fresh ideas to the art for the slightly more experienced.
Axio
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Axio
I would aslo suggest to go with Ammar. Also I would highly suggest you to get Card College series if you are interested in Card magic. Daryl encyclopedia is fine but you will learn a lot more and much better from card college than Daryl encyclopedia, even if you are a so-called visual learner like myself. Of course if you can afford both, great!
Axio
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
I have his Revolutionary coin magic. It's kinda hard to follow for a beginner like me. But I do better with Ammar's Easy to Master Money miracles. Even for cards, Ammar is a good teacher. Mark Wilson's cyclopedia is pretty good for beginner too. I have it myself and I learn a lot from it. Royal Road tcm is, of course, great. Then try Expert Card technique.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I may be one of the few, but I cannot stand the guy. I cannot stand his style, his sense of humor, his style of magic. I just do not like him as a magician.

Thank you.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Axio
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Axio
Astinus, You are not alone!!! He has some great effects though.
Axio
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-03-28 15:41, Astinus wrote:
I may be one of the few, but I cannot stand the guy. I cannot stand his style, his sense of humor, his style of magic. I just do not like him as a magician.

Thank you.

I agree. I hate his performing style, but he has many very good tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Jay Sankey Video/DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL