We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
. . . of potential interest to the bizarrely inclined:

After months of searching for the right theatre space, I finally found a great location for my Halloween show. It's in Chicago's historic Lincoln Park area, near DePaul University and the Biograph (where Dillinger took in his last picture show). Here's the official announcement:

The Apollo Theater and magician David Parr invite you to haunt the shadowy corners of the past, and discover a mysterious world of ghosts and grave-robbers, poisoners, poltergeists, and the spirits of Halloween!

Haunting History with David Parr: October 29, 30, 31 at 7:30p.m.
Apollo Theater Chicago: 2540 North Lincoln Avenue
Tickets: $25.00. No one under 17 admitted.
Call the Apollo Theater Box Office: (773) 935-6100

Also . . .

The October issue of Oracle magazine will feature a Halloween theme, including a two-part interview I did with David Goodsell, and a piece called "Premature Burial" that I performed in my Halloween show a couple of years ago. Larry White tells me that the October Oracle will ship the week before Halloween, so it will arrive in time for the holiday!

That's it for now. Have a very Happy Halloween!
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
David:

Good luck with the shows.
Can't be there in physical form, but will be there in spirit!
Vlad, DanielGreenwolf and I will be doing 12 days of shoes in Salem this year.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Halloween in Salem is a blast! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Break a limb, and give my regards to your peeps, Vlad and Daniel. (Do any of you guys subscribe to Oracle? Because I think the "Premature Burial" routine is your kinda weird.)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
May you sell more tickets, than there are!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks Harley. Shine on you crazy diamond.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I should have posted a link to the Apollo Theater Chicago site:

http://www.apollochicago.com/home/details.php?recordID=35

And here's a link to Oracle magazine:

http://www.oraclemagicmagazine.com/
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
Hi David,

I attended your excellent lecture at Denny & Lee's in Baltimore a while ago and wish I could see your performance in Chicago. It sounds fantastic. Do you currently have any plans to perform or lecture again in the D.C./Baltimore area?

Scott
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
I have seen Mr. Parr's performance several times as well as attended a lecture. Go to see this show you will be entertained as well as mystified. David Parr is a master at weaving a story and matching the story with his magic.

Daniel
Magic is Everywhere
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Scott: I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture! No plans as yet for a trip to DC/Balto, but I would like to get out there to visit friends I don't see often enough. Perhaps sometime next year, if my schedule doesn't get too crazy.

Daniel: Thank you for the hearty endorsement, Mr. Vespucci -- er, Vertucci! I met Daniel at <i>Haunting History</i> last October. He is a gentleman and a paisano. By some strange coincidence, every book I recommend to him is out of print and requires an epic quest to obtain. But the Internet makes almost anything possible!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
See, when you guys start going on about all this stuff in Chicago, it makes me want to leave my warm Southern home. See, here, wierdness just happens and everyone just sorts of rolls with it. Everyone has a strange aunt, uncle, cousin, grandmother, etc. that sees through the veil. It's part of life. . . You guys put it on stage. I am awed!

Raven
What would Wavy do?
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Southern weirdness has a character all its own, as does New England weirdness. For a great big piece of Windy City creepcake, I recommend reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, the true story of Daniel Burnham, principal architect of the Great Columbian Exposition of 1893, and H.H. Holmes, the sociopath who built a "murder castle" to prey on visitors to the fair. Chilling and fascinating.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 15:05, David Parr wrote:
For a great big piece of Windy City creepcake, I recommend reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, the true story of Daniel Burnham, principal architect of the Great Columbian Exposition of 1893, and H.H. Holmes, the sociopath who built a "murder castle" to prey on visitors to the fair. Chilling and fascinating.

I second that one. And happily, it won't take an epic quest to find.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I wanted to go check out the site, but it's in a pretty nasty neighborhood on the south side. The "castle" was torn down a million years ago anyhow...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Thanks David, it sounds familiar. Ahh, of course, it's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to it. I'll move to my bedside table. That way I'm sure to get to it in the next. . . oh. . . six months or so. I have to admit, looking at this stack of books that I'm trying to get to, you've recommended more than a few of them.

Raven
What would Wavy do?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Once you pick it up, you won't want to put it down, til you've finished it. Though I have to admit, the Exposition was such a pivotal event for American entertainment, that I was a little surprised at how much of the book was about the architecture. Not that I don't like that part, I do, but it was a surprise.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
The Exposition was a pivotal event in many ways. It set the tone for modern architecture at the turn of the century. Louis Sullivan maintained that it set modern architecture back centuries, as he and other progressive thinkers struggled with the neoclassicism the fair popularized.

I have a few books of photographs taken at the fair, and I often study them, trying to imagine what it might have been like for people at that time to have walked into such an otherworldly place in the middle of the city. It must have been magical.
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bosque
I wish I could travel to Chicago to see the show. I love performing David's "Werewolf" routine from "Brain Food". It's a perfect Halloween offering- spooky but acceptable for children as well as adults. Everyone walks away with a shiver and a smile. Perfection.
--- Steve Bosque
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Okay David another book quest . The Devil in the White City ... off I go searching.

Good Luck with the show.

Daniel
Magic is Everywhere
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, Steve. There may someday be a chance for you to see Haunting History. I think you'd enjoy it. And I'm glad you're still having fun with the "Werewolf" piece!

Daniel: Rest assured that this book recommendation will break the pattern. As Neil mentioned, The Devil in the White City should be quite easy to find.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It should be on one of the tables at Barnes and Noble. I believe it was a best-seller.

My grandmother gave me a silver dollar from the Exposition. It's one of my cherished collectibles.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL