We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Harley, you are so lucky. My only souvenir of the fair is the Museum of Science and Industry. And that's difficult to carry around with me.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
All the bet with your shows, David. I am sure it will be a GREAT success. I Wish I was in the USA to celebrate Halloween like you guys do. Just nowhere close to your style here in South Africa.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 15:24, gaddy wrote:
I wanted to go check out the site, but it's in a pretty nasty neighborhood on the south side. The "castle" was torn down a million years ago anyhow...

Huh? My understanding is the Museum of Science and Industry is the last remaining part of the fair, and I assure you its safe to visit. Millions of visitors a year agree.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi Gordon,

The hotel owned and operated by H.H. Holmes wasn't on the fairgrounds. It was a short train ride away, at 63rd and Wallace in Englewood.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That museum is awesome!

As is the Art Institute. I've sat for hours in the water lily room on many afternoons.

The hotel...I think my sister used to live in that block. She's still alive.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks Wolflock. I think if I moved to another country, in addition to missing my family and friends, I'd really miss Halloween. It has always been my favorite holiday. There's nothing else quite like it. Although I have to say that Mexico's Day of the Dead celebrations are really wonderful.

Harley, you should come back and visit! I have a nostalgic affection for the Museum of Science and Industry. That's where I purchased my first magic effect when I was a kid. But I'm partial to the Field Museum. Sue the T.Rex, the hall of gemstones, an actual Maori meeting house. My favorite thing there is a set of tiny dioramas that show each step of the mummification process in ancient Egypt. I wish I had those. I'm with you on the Art Institute, though. So many favorites there: the Cornell boxes, the Magrittes, Ivan Albright's "That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do" (aka "The Door"). The gallery with the display of Japanese screens is a peaceful place to sit and think. And then there are the Thorne miniature rooms -- kind of like the dioramas at the Field Museum, but without the mummification.

The Museum of Science and Industry is the only remaining in-place structure from the World's Columbian Exposition, but there are some other reminders: The "Wooded Island" that was the site of the Japanese Ho-o-den pavilion still exists in Jackson Park, although the pavilion itself burned down. The area became a Japanese garden for the Century of Progress World's Fair in 1934, and was named the Osaka Garden in 1992. Also, a stained glass window from the Woman's Building at the 1893 Exposition is displayed at Navy Pier. And the Norway pavilion was moved to the Little Norway Museum in Wisconsin.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, Field is great also! I remember that mummification exhibit!

At the Institute, I was going through one day, and saw a death mask on the wall. I just had to stop, most of the room away, because the face was a person who had such powerful character. When I looked, it was Napoleon.

Museum hopping with you, would be a true delight!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Let's not forget the Nazi Sub U-505 at The Museum of S&I. My father was on the task force that captured it in the North Atlantic. David I'm thrilled for you, my only regret...I won't get to see it.

Hope all is well!

Happy Halloween,

Jim
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This is true. Whenever there's something I reeeeeally want to see, I'm booked somewhere else. Ah, well.

www.bladewalker.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Jim Cunningham! What a great surprise! Whenever this season rolls around, I am reminded of you. For those who are not from the Minneapolis-St.Paul area, Jim is an actor-magician who did a fab version of Eugene Burger's Hauntings for a number of years in the Twin Cities. The show took place at what used to be a speakeasy, in a cave that was used for storing bootleg hooch. A frickin' CAVE! When the lights went out in there, it was seriously unsettling. Jim, I wish you could come down here and celebrate Halloween with us.

I should also remind everyone that Harley Newman will be the guest of honor at this November's gathering of the Inner Circle of Bizarre Magic in Connecticut. The Inner Circle is a fun bunch of people, and Harley is supercalafragilistic. He's also a really nice guy.
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
So what are we all waiting for? I think a field trip to Chicago is in order. PM me if you will be in town. Maybe I can find a place for you to shower and crash! We can turn this into a mini Chicago convention! SERIOUSLY!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2006-10-11 04:52, David Parr wrote:
The Museum of Science and Industry is the only remaining in-place structure from the World's Columbian Exposition, but there are some other reminders: The "Wooded Island" that was the site of the Japanese Ho-o-den pavilion still exists in Jackson Park, although the pavilion itself burned down. The area became a Japanese garden for the Century of Progress World's Fair in 1934, and was named the Osaka Garden in 1992. Also, a stained glass window from the Woman's Building at the 1893 Exposition is displayed at Navy Pier. And the Norway pavilion was moved to the Little Norway Museum in Wisconsin.

Another reminder that I unexpectedly encountered on a walking tour of Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Oak Park, IL is a ticket booth from the Japanese Pavilion that is, oddly enough, on the grounds behind one of the historic homes.

As long as we're talking about spooky stuff in Chicago, let me also toss in a recommendation for the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum (which wasn't constructed for the Columbian Exposition, but bear with me). It is currently showing what's being billed as "the nation's largest Dia de los Muertos exhibit" -- so if you can't steal away to Mexico, Chicago's got your back:
http://www.mfacmchicago.or

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That exhibit sounds great!

That group of FLW houses have such a simplicity to their design. I think it's some of his best work. He's so often referred to as an "organic" designer, but some of his later abstractions, to me, lose that quality.

Thanks for the nice words, David! This conference should be a very good time! I have some special pieces for it. (Now, where did I put those body parts?)

www.bladewalker.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
The Mexican Fine Arts Museum's Day of the Dead celebrations are not to be missed! The place is fully decked out -- so vivid and full of life! It's beautiful. Plus: little sugar skulls!
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Hey David,

Thank you for the kind words and I was delighted to find you at the Café as well. I would in a Windy City second come down with the entire famdamily to see your show but I'm going to The Magic and Meaning Conference in Vegas the weekend before Halloween and am booked straight up to that...I would love to be there!!! Might it continue after Halloween? In any case I hope all is swell with you and yours, say hi to all and sundry, break a limb and keep in touch.

Trick or Treat!

Jim
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
And while we're on the subject of magic happenings, let's not forget that there's a magic convention in P.T.'s shower! Uh. What the -- ?

Jim: You'll have lots of fun with Jeff et al. Wish I could be there!
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Um...NO! There is know convention in my shower. But if there are interested adult magicians, thank you very much, who are going to be in town or are traveling to Chicago to see David, then please contact me. I think getting to meet folks and talking magic and seeing David's show would be fun. Where is the love?
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
P.T., you know I didn't mean to impugn your shower, nor did I intend to malign your bathmat that's shaped like a monkey. No, wait -- I'm thinking of my bathmat.

Jim, sorry I didn't answer your question: At this point, there are no plans to extend the show beyond Halloween. The theatre had only a finite number of dates available on its schedule. But I would very much like to do a full run of the show next October!
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Monkey bathmat? I don't remember seeing it the last time I was over.

I shouldn't have said that!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Hey David,

Well Nuts! Keep me informed about next year and I wish you were going to be in Vegas as well, I'm really fired up for it.

Scare the pants off em!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL