We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Jim, while I'm certainly no David Parr, feel free to drop by my weird little show if you're ever in town.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Hey Neil,

I will most certainly, and thanks.

Happy Halloween!

Jim
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
So far nobody has contacted me about coming into Chicago that weekend! If you are interested in making the road trip I would be happy to host those of you that make it in. PM me and we can work out the details.
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Hey, Jim, I'm looking forward to meeting you at Magic & Meaning. Next week! It's finally almost here!

Neil, I agree that the Day o' the Dead exhibit at the Mexican Fine Arts museum is great. I have some photos from my visit last year if anyone wants a peek:
http://gordon.typepad.com/gordon/2005/11......uer.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonmeyer......5094264/

The gift shop is also very nice, lots of neat sugar skulls (as David said) and lots of other Skeleton-decorated merchandise.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
851 Posts

Profile of David Parr
One of the best art exhibits I've ever seen was at the Mexican Fine Arts Museum. It was a show devoted to Spanish surrealist painter Remedios Varo, who lived in Mexico for many years. She was a contemporary of Salvador Dali and studied at the same European schools. Her artwork is truly wonderful and contains many magical themes. For a look at her work, go to http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop/diablo4u/remedios.html

The scans of her paintings hardly do them justice, as the paintings themselves are quite large and are packed with detail and texture. The faces of some of the figures are painted on mother of pearl, which gives them an almost three-dimensional quality and an irridescent glow that changes as the viewer approaches. I find her paintings inspiring.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
David, those are fascinating!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Varo's works are very interesting. I am going to have to watch for an opportunity to see her works in person.

Dave
hendoo
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of hendoo
I saw David Parr on the morning news yesterday! He did some very groovy stuff. This looks like a great show! I just ordered tickets. Hooray for Halloween!
hendoo
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of hendoo
Here is a cool clip of David from the morning news in Chicago.

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/morningn......putility

Go to link and then click on Around Town - Haunting History.

This is VERY COOL!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
While you're there, feel free to click on something with the word Necromancer in the title Smile

David did a great job, and I'm looking forward to seeing his show on Monday.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
hendoo
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of hendoo
Ah you missed a great show folks! I saw it last night. I spied Neil Tobin in the stands. What did you think of the show Neil?

Last night there were a good number of magicians on hand. Great audience. Great show. I think David is performing tonight as well.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2984 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I enjoyed it very much. So you were the arm-chopper assistant? You should have stuck around and introduced yourself (I would have been delighted to shake your unsevered hand)! I guess that pleasure will have to wait until you come to my show.

Tonight is indeed closing night for David's show, and it's a trick-or-treat-bag stuffed with macabre goodies that I would steal if I were less ethically inclined. Seeing "Dinner With The Borgias" performed was even better than reading it in his book, Brain Food; and his framing for razor blade eating was flat-out brilliant. To those within striking distance, definitely catch it while you can.

Happy Halloween,
Neil
hendoo
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of hendoo
Horray for Halloween!
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Saw the show last night! What a crowd! I agree with Neil. There is enough material in David's show to keep the less ethicals busy for decades.

There were some nice touches as far as lighting and staging goes and the choice to add characters to the show was very brave. David added a great scene with two gravediggers at the top of the show that played very well on the night I saw it and really set the mood.

Good show David! I look forward to seeing it next year!

Oh by the way...nobody took me up on my offer! There was plenty o' room at Casa De Murphy. Maybe next year you can plan a trip to see the show. The Inn is always open!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
May David some day come to frosty toronto to perform his miraclous show.... sounded wonderful!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Two Halloween Announcements . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL