The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Deep Astonishment" - My revised opinion! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
JamesR
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of JamesR
Making the wallet into a checkbook definatly helps, but I still prefer the "Anything Deck".
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
Hi Joedy,
I am not using the mnemonic version, but something like it. The important thing is that the "whispering jokers" are history. As far as the other changes I've made, I mentioned them: No wallet, instant reset, etc.
I have no intention to release my working method, but the nice thing is its really pretty easy and practical for walk around. The other nice thing is that if people think through some things on their own, they too can find a way that works best for them.
If there was a way to make a profit by releasing me method, then maybe I would. And not to be egotistical about it, but I really think it would "catch on" with fellow workers. But I don't see how its possible to publish it or whatever, without hurting sales of the original. So, I'll keep it to myself.
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
I have a question regarding the Anything Deck. I'm still in the process of practicing the routine so I haven't yet performed it, but has anyone ever had a spectator become suspicious by where the letters are on the deck?
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2003-01-21 09:51, magicgirl wrote:
I have a question regarding the Anything Deck. I'm still in the process of practicing the routine so I haven't yet performed it, but has anyone ever had a spectator become suspicious by where the letters are on the deck?

Actually, you can write them a bit bigger and less off center than is shown in the illustration.

Just make your spread on the table a bit tighter and the letter won't show. You can also increase the size of the letters vertically to make them more visible. I've never had a problem with it...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
Making the letters bigger vertically is a very good suggestion - thanks.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
John, I think a lot of the tips section on their website are ideas submitted by other people. If you think it's a good handling, why don't you post it there? Otherwise, I'm not so sure why you would even mention it.
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
ixnay66,
I mentioned to show that people can achieve a handling they can use, with some thinking. I mentioned the other things in response to Joedy's question. Does this meet with your approval? What do you mean you're not sure why I would even mention it? By your reasoning if mention that I have a different handling, suddenly I'm obligated to share it with the magic world at large? No thanks.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
If anyone wants tips you can go to http://www.deepastonishment.com
and click on the tips section.

This section was created so people can submit ideas that strengthen the effect or maybe inprove it even. That's what's great about this country. Freedom to do what we want.

Sorry I upset you John, I didn't mean to.
Best,
Chris
rmbrannon
View Profile
New user
Georgia
32 Posts

Profile of rmbrannon
I think Deep Astonishment is awesome. I incorporate the switch used in Blizzard, to show all normal colored cards, along with the mnemonic version. Great results.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Just to add my two cents worth... I've been debating about getting DA for a few years now. I finally ordered it for Christmas and have been playing with it for a few days. Last night my girlfriend surprisingly asked to see some new magic so I busted out DA for its first live performance.

Her magic word was "love." (cheesy I know). I went through the routine and when I pulled out the blue cards with her word, I could see her expression change. At first she reacted verbally with teh standard "no way" and "how'd you do that". I then did another trick for her and in the middle of that trick she started saying things like "I have no idea what to say. I"m totally speechless. How did you know my magic word." I stopped the trick I was showing her and just let her sit there and shake her head. She went silent for a while and then said "that was the greatest thing I have ever seen."

How's that for praise. Heck, she even thought the sole mate part of the trick was good. She tried to figure it out for a while and came to the conclusion that I had a marker and wrote her word on the cards during the trick. Funny I know, but that's all she could think of.

The wallet never got questioned.

Over the past 20 years, I have developed a close-up show that only features tricks that are garaunteed to bring screams or that are gauranteed to leave them literally speechless. I haven't added anything in a long time, but DA has just found a new home.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 08:37, emyers99 wrote:
.... Over the past 20 years, I have developed a close-up show that only features tricks that are garaunteed to bring screams or that are gauranteed to leave them literally speechless. I haven't added anything in a long time, but DA has just found a new home.

If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the tricks in your close up show?
Thanks.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
DaveS,

Top secret my good man although Finger on the Card has been with me the longest and I have posted about it several times here. My newest addition is an ending to my ambitous card routine where the signed selection ends up completely sealed in a brand new deck of a different color. The spectator opens the cellophane himself, breaks the seal and removes the cards. The deck is in new deck order with the exception of their card which is in the right spot but is reversed and has a red back. (the blue card that matches theirs isn't in the new deck).
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 08:37, emyers99 wrote:

I haven't added anything in a long time, but DA has just found a new home.

Emeyers:

Great story! Thanks for posting it.

Now keep your eyes open for Joel Givens' presentation for DA. I've been begging him to write it up for the DA website and he may do it in January. I can't say anything more but it solves some of the issues some people have raised here.

In the meantime, I really enjoyed your story!

Steve H Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
If you are interested in Deep Astonishment, or the trick on which DA is based, "The Anything Deck", you can read more in Vol.3 of "Art of Astonishment", or you can go to this website:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/pass0397.htm

You have to answer an easy question, and then you can read the description of "The Anything Deck" and "Thoughts on 'The Anything Deck'".

Have fun!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
I just got my DA and have yet to perform it for anyone. But I have to say that the idea of making the wallet into a check book is brilliant, for at least a couple of reasons. One is the simple fact that that is from what it seems to have been made. And secondly, when the wallet/check book is removed from play and placed in the pocket, the fact that it seems to be *your* check book, with the personal financial information that it would contain, may make it even less likely that someone will feel comfortable asking to inspect it.

Off to practice!

-Dan
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
I love the checkbook idea. A couple modifications I have made to the trick:

I have the soulmate card in the middle of the deck and add another blue-backed card to the top few. I think it looks less suspicious having the SM card come from the middle.

Also, when I'm taking cards from the deck, I don't stop taking them after I have to. I continue to take extra cards and put them BEHIND the cards in my hand. This doesn't upset anything and I can take as many as I like. As I do this, I go faster and faster adding a little comedy to it. "not this, or this, or this etc."
I make sure the last card I take is a blue-backed card from the top. Then, I can square up the cards in my hand and use them to gesture to the rest of the deck saying something like, "I have it narrowed down to one of these" while casually flashing the blue back, thus subtly reinforcing the idea that the cards all have blue backs. I then put the stack on the face of the deck, square it up and continue.

Flobiwan
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Where can I buy the "gormet" version of the Deep Astonishment wallet? Maybe I missed it, but, in reading through this thread, I did not see that information.

Thanks,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 01:41, Dr. Faust wrote:
Where can I buy the "gormet" version of the Deep Astonishment wallet? Maybe I missed it, but, in reading through this thread, I did not see that information.

Thanks,

Dr. Faust

It may no longer be available. From my reading of this thread, it was once available from deepastonishment.com but if it's still there, I don't see it. The posts referring to it date back to 2002. A web search turned up nobody else offering it for sale currently.

-Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Deep Astonishment" - My revised opinion! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL