The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Requested - Confusing Crayons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seanamon
View Profile
New user
Victoria, Texas
70 Posts

Profile of Seanamon
I have had this prop for awhile, but have been unable to come up with a routine or patter presentation. I have never seen this performed. Do you perform this effect?

When I purchased the effect, I asked if it came with a routine, and I was told that it did. Unfortunately it didn't. I like the props, and would love to do them justice. Unfortunately, I am neither a comedian nor a writer. Fortunately there are other companies out there who have helped me in this regard by giving suggested patter scripts and routines, such as Jam Magic (highly recommended).

If you perform the Crayons, and are successful with them, I would appreciate any help you might offer.

Thanks.

Sean
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While I don't perform the crayons, I DO perform the tricky bottles, which is a very similar routine. You can read my presentation in my Pro-Files column on Visions. It's in the article on Insult Humor. You might find something you can use or it may give you some ideas. http://www.online-visions.com.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Like Scott, I don't do the crayons but do (did) the tricky bottles.
Like a lot of good ideas in magic, this one simply has no ending, if done as per the instructions.
Back in April of 1993, in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine, I had a routine which had a built-in ending for the bottles (and should work just as well with the crayons).
Once you have a logical ending,the rest of the routine will probably come naturally.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
David Ginn has on one of his video, how to do this trick which is pretty good!
Dennis Michael
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I've been using them this summer and I agree, they don't have a good ending. In fact, I recently saw a street performer do the tricky bottles, people didn't understand what was happening.

My suggestions:
1. Take your time and point out that there are flat sides and pointy sides...

2. I say "when you lift the tube like this (I lift the tube), the crayon should be on the flat side. But there's is not.

3. A good ending is the colour change crayon. You'll need to do a switch.

My routine is not completely original. I got some tips from Chris Pilsworth (club member). But, I'd be more than happy to share some more thoughts on my routine if you wish.

cheers,

John
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Some good suggestions, John.

I've had the Confusing Crayons for at least a year and finally got around to using them in a couple of shows just recently.
My presentation always makes me out as the one who is confused (which is logically understandable!) rather than the audience member. It's always best for the magician to be the 'sucker'.
I end by giving up in confused frustration and then explaining that we can use these crayons for the next illusion...which is the Magic Coloring Book.

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Scott, Peter and Dennis for their many great ideas I've read here at the Magic Cafe! There are others who make great contributions, but I just noticed that all three of you responded right in a row, and I try to never miss a chance to say thanks.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I am not going to give away my routine here.
but if you do confusing crayons. you have several advantages over the bottles (which I also do).

1. Nothing to smash/break

2. less weight to carry

3. the fact that you change the crayon for one of a different colour fools the clever ones

4. You may not realise this but you can load a bottle/can/silkload inside the crayons
for a finale. I am saying no more than that . I will leave it to you to play with the idea

Phillip
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
John Pert PM'd ME about my point 4 above
I should like to point out that in my routine the crayon Vanishes and Transforms into whatever load I have inside.
Phillip
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
How is reaction with this prop?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Iy goes over great. Once again in is not so much the prop but the emtertainer. It is your routine of this that makes it great.

I perform this often and always have a great time with it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I love them. Sometimes I just use one of them to start the show. Other times they stand on my table as a running gag and continuously change places, ala a pb&j routine. I've never used them in a tricky bottle sort of way.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
alien7
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of alien7
Quote:
On 2002-01-24 09:43, Seanamon wrote:
I have had this prop for awhile, but have been unable to come up with a routine or patter presentation. I have never seen this performed. Do you perform this effect? When I purchased the effect, I asked if it came with a routine, and I was told that it did. Unfortunately it didn't. I like the props, and would love to do them justice. Unfortunately, I am neither a comedian nor a writer. Fortunately there are other companies out there who have helped me in this regard by giving suggested patter scripts and routines, such as Jam Magic (highly recommended).

If you perform the Crayons, and are successful with them, I would appreciate any help you might offer.

Thanks.

Sean

I am new to the Café and don't even know if I am posting my reply in the correct place. I guess I will figure it out as I go along. Sean, I am only seeing this post now--9 years after you inquired about routining for Confusing Crayons. I Love This Trick! I can tell you exactly how I get the kids screaming and laughing--but it is waaaay too much for me to type. Email me with your phone number. I will call--and tell you in detail how to have the kids laughing and going insane as they respond to the changing position and changing color of the crayon. Of course, by now you are probably an old Pro with it---but in case you still need some ideas, feel free to access me.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Alien7, I'm interested in how you use it too because I have a set I haven't used yet. I like the idea above regarding using with a silk load and also the magic coloring book.....OK if I PM you with my phone number too and you can explain to me" I'd appreciate that a lot because I know it's a great effect and I just haven't tried it because of the ending. P.S. I'm glad you regenerated this thread! and Welcome to the Café! You're off to a great start by offering your help...thanks again.....best, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Alien7, Yeah, it might seem easier to just tell someone over the phone however, if your act changed in the next 8 years and this effect was no longer in your repertoire would you remember how you got em laughing. That is the nice thing about the Café... Things get stuck in internet eternity here. You post something once and hundreds if not thousands of Magicians read your post. Much easier than having to explain yourself over and over and over on the phone.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-03-18 06:56, mrmetropolis wrote:
Alien7, Yeah, it might seem easier to just tell someone over the phone however, if your act changed in the next 8 years and this effect was no longer in your repertoire would you remember how you got em laughing. That is the nice thing about the Café... Things get stuck in internet eternity here. You post something once and hundreds if not thousands of Magicians read your post. Much easier than having to explain yourself over and over and over on the phone.

Agreed!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Requested - Confusing Crayons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL