The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello all,

I've just started out with Fantasio candles and am trying to come up with a nice routine. I've thought of the flash string to silk to produce the silk at the beginning.

Can anyone tell me more about this production? Where can I learn this, and what are places where it's published? I've read about several gimmicks for this production; can anybody expand a little on that?

Thanks!

Simon
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Simon,

If you will light the string with a wooden match from a small drawer match box, producing the silk is a piece of cake. Email me if you need details.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
The Matchbox Production is very easy and effective. If you're just starting out with manipulation-type routines, this is probably your best bet. However, stealing the silk while holding the string and lighting the match could be awkward. So you'll need to steal the silk and light the match, put down the box, get the string, then do the production.

I'm probably making things too complicated...I tend to over-think things.

The gimmick you're referring to is probably a silk dropper. It holds a rolled silk in place until you're ready to make the steal. Many times when using a silk dropper, you would also use a match pull to get the match.
(for match pulls and silk droppers - http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com )

Good luck!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
I sell a silk dropper that's made of blackened brass. Click here Silk/Roller Holder to see it.

Lynetta
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Thanks for the responses!

Does anyone have a DVD reference for the silk production?

Thanks
Simon
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Simon:

I don't know of any DVD source for this effect, but it has been written up in MAGIC Magazine. It may take a little bit of digging to find the issue, but it was a special "Magic from Japan" segment that ran in the magazine - probably 10 years ago. I think the segment ran monthly for about a year.

If you can find the issue, I can dig through my back issues and find it. I can scan the pages and email them to you (I think that is okay to do).

Ron
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Why not use a Sanada gimmick to hide silk? Produce string, set alit, then boom, silk appears. Easy.

Carl
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
It may be possible to do it with a Sanada, but it would be easier without it. Unless it's your opening effect, how would you set it up in a smooth manner? Then, you would have to ditch the gimmick; not difficult, but still. You would also have to move things around, as the thumb would have two jobs.
The purpose of the Sanada is to show your hand empty. If you're performing for a regular audience, they shouldn't have a reason to believe it's anything but. If you're performing for a crowd of magicians, many will know you're using a Sanada anyway.

Afterthought -
I've figured out how to do it in a natural way with a Sanada, moving different jobs to different fingers, but it would have to be an opener. I may even have to try it sometime, myself. Thanks, Carl, for getting my mind working!

Simon, you said you wanted an opener. PM me for details...or anyone else.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Sorry, I forgot to mention I would use it as a opener. But I use the FS/2 gimmick, so the gimmick is already set to go.

Carl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL