The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Answers are out there / How far are you willing to go? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Sometimes I think Mickey has a copy of a Richard Bach book the rest of us aren't privy to...

"Perspective- use it or lose it...you're forgeting that what is going on around you is not reality. Think about that."
-Richard Bach 'Illusions'
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I think the key is the "reflection" itself. Can you manipulate the reflection of the coin, without the coin.....?
Where I go, so do my coins.....
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Very interesting. What I think I just read is Mickey's secret to his retention. The mirror is a metaphor for his hand(s). What is it exactly that a person sees compared to what you think, or want them to see? And of course, for most of us, what you think they see is very different than what they truely see. Mickey, am I walking down the right path? If not, at least it has me thinking.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
...What if considering the coin as being a true reflection, not really a coin ?
WiffleDust92
View Profile
New user
Mpls, Minnesota
15 Posts

Profile of WiffleDust92
They were right. Magic is just done with a bunch of smoke or mirrors. Smile
DonEngland
View Profile
1947 - 2015
Champaign, IL
258 Posts

Profile of DonEngland
There is an old Twilight Zone episode on this exact subject.
I am sure it was the exact effect done with camera effects
about a door to another demension that was slowly closing.
I remember that it was scary, not as scary as this post, but close.
-=Ralph=-
View Profile
Regular user
New York
111 Posts

Profile of -=Ralph=-
Quote:
On 2006-10-06 19:13, DonEngland wrote:
There is an old Twilight Zone episode on this exact subject.
I am sure it was the exact effect done with camera effects
about a door to another demension that was slowly closing.
I remember that it was scary, not as scary as this post, but close.

Is that the one were the little girl fell out of bed and rolled into another dimension? Smile

And yes... I agree.... This post is scary.
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Very interesting statement aqmagish20 !

Yes! you are walking down the right path very slowly , neveraless your walking !.... I was very surprised to have seen you post that!!!!

You must have a very creative mind aqmagish20 and an extremely keen insight about what I wrote.... Thank You for being honest.

"Inspiring the mind with coin magic"

MICKEY SILVER
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
All I know is I'm doomed to 7 years bad luck thanks to Mickey's post!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
With two perfect mirrors facing each other, and a coin in between, if you removed the coin faster than light, would the two continue to reflect each others reflections of the coin?

BTW It wasn't The Twilight Zone. It was I Love Lucy, with guest star Harpo Marx.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Funny how the further out there you go, the less answers you find.

If you go out far enough do you find only questions?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
"Truth is elusive, and questions are more useful than answers."
Traitor by Matthew Stover
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
"Funny how the further out there you go, the less answers you find. "

Hmm

"out there"

If you were to look at it you are not really going "out there" you are headed on an inward path. A path that will take you into the very depths of yourself. As you do this you realize that many of the questions that you ask are in fact trivial and do not pertain to much more than the EGO.

So as you are travelling along on your journey you realize that questions are of less and less importance. Especially since the answers are already known to the one asking the questions. It is just a matter of stopping long enough to hear what the answer is.

C
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Septic tanks are deeper than water fountains.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
cjl467
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
71 Posts

Profile of cjl467
Here's what I speculate:
We practice in front of mirrors all the time. But we never really think twice about it. We actually perform for spectators. Spectators are not mirrors. So what makes the difference? The very thing that makes magic possible: your audience isn't just a bunch of eyes, they're a bunch of minds that can be easily tricked.

Quote:
On 2006-10-05 11:14, MICKEY SILVER wrote:
THINK ABOUT THIS... If it is impossible to get rid of the counterpart reflection..than why not get rid of the actual coin......... "BUT" then one might say to themselves ,if we get rid of the actual coin than the reflected counterpart coin is also gone...RIGHT? Maybe...JUST MAYBE. Is there a way to keep the reflected coin in the mirror ? Without the real coin outside the mirror?
What we must understand is that people have always' assumed that a reflection is nothing but a reflection. Did any one ever try to think within the reflection...Meaning looking out of the mirror into the real world? Can a person actually put his mind in this state of frame..and if so , "HOW"?

Based on this quote, I think Mickey is talking about presentation. You don't need to have a coin in your hand in order for the "mirror" to actually perceive that you do. So the trick is presenting the "nothing" in your hand so that it "keeps the reflected coin in the mirror without the real coin outside the mirror". He's saying to look at it from the perspective of the spectator. All you have to do is make them believe that there's a coin in your hand.

He's probably talking about a basic retention vanish, but I'm not sure yet.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Oh. That I can see. A basic truth, as found in the quotes of fortune cookies and Chauncy Gardener.

Just kidding with the last line. Your interpretation is a worthwhile gaol.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
"He's saying to look at it..." "He's probably talking about..."

The truth is that YOU are perceiving what it is that Mickey has already said. He already put it into HIS words. Now people are taking what he said and running it through their filters (what the words HE used mean to THEM)

It is useless to try and make-up what Mickey (is trying to say) because he said what he said. There is no trying. The trying comes from you. You are trying to make sense of what Mickey said.

Keep having fun with this. Smile
cjl467
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
71 Posts

Profile of cjl467
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 18:40, Spydur wrote:
"He's saying to look at it..." "He's probably talking about..."

The truth is that YOU are perceiving what it is that Mickey has already said. He already put it into HIS words. Now people are taking what he said and running it through their filters (what the words HE used mean to THEM)

It is useless to try and make-up what Mickey (is trying to say) because he said what he said. There is no trying. The trying comes from you. You are trying to make sense of what Mickey said.

Keep having fun with this. Smile

What Mickey said has no intrinsic value without interpretation (you seem to be claiming that it does). It requires "trying" and "filtering" or whatever you like to call it, in order to understand it.

Anyways, who cares if I'm saying what it meant to me? This is a discussion board. Until you can think of a legitimate argument for the purpose of his post, just saying that it's "useless" to discuss it is even more useless.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
This has been an interesting post. Mickey appears to be trying to stimulate our imagination. Maybe he already have perfected a method. I know that the discussion has gotten me thinking about how the audience perceives what they see (the other side of the mirror maybe?). Anyway, until there is more of an explaination, at least it has us thinking outside the box.

Thanks Mickey

Craig
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

In the above I meant "a worthwhile goal" not "gaol".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Answers are out there / How far are you willing to go? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL