The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Debating between three illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
I'm going to build an illusion to have my assistant appear at the start of the show and I have narrrowed it down to three illusions, they are: Bryce's Screen, Glass Box and the New Palanquin all from Osborne Illusion Systems.
Does anyone know if the Bryce's Screen can really be performed surrounded and which of the Glass Box and the New Palanquin is easier to build?
Any help would be appreciated.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Bryce's Screen can really be performed surrounded, but you need a time when it is not surrounded to get your assistant in place. The usual method is to then invite a "committee" from the audience to come up and surround the screen on stage before working the appearance.

The Glass box is made of... glass! (or plexiglass). Are you ready to carry and transport that around? That should be your first concern. Second concern is how you feel about working with glass or plexiglass as a building material.

Of the two, I would say the Palanquin is easier to build because you aren't working with glass or plexiglass. Of the three, the Bryce's screen is easiest to build AND the easiest to transport. You'll also need to do some sewing to make covers for the Bryce's screen. If that's not a problem, good luck and I hope your act is a great success!

(Just as a note: you can also make the Bryce's Screen from PVC Pipe if you want. The frame is covered, so no one really can see what it's made of once you set it up. Jim Gerrish has a PVC Pipe Double Split Palanquin in his PVC Pipe book #2, but it always irked him that he couldn't include the plans for the Bryce Screen which is a real natural for PVC pipe construction.)
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Thanks Spellbinder!
I'll probably do both Bryce's Screen and Palanquin. I already have a mismade and I made a sub trunk where I do a Metamorphosis whith my daughter. I will now have a way to have her appear at the start rather that just have her there.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Khuber:

If you build a Palanquin.. keep in mind that the traps are inherently noisy... I solved a bit of that problem by lining the edges of my trap in the fuzzy part of fuzzy velcro..bu it still makes a dull thump.

instead of the palanquin.. paul put plans out years ago for a TV that used the same prinicple.. there's also aguy that uses the same principle decorated as a microwave..

Rand Woodbury in his Illusionworks 2 turns the girl around to make the center of the table thinnner..

There's some really really clever ideas out there to make this illusion much more interesting...

ONe thing I used to do before my amusment park shows.. I started my show by wheeling my opening prop onto the stage.. starting my 6 minute tape of "walk-on" music.. and then when I was introduced.. did the illusion..

Everyone wondered where she came from..and the answer was.. she was in the illusion the whole time..

I saw a guy in NewYork do this with a crystal casket once. she must have been in that thing 15-20 min before the show..

but it was GREAT!!
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
The things we put our assistants through!!

Mark
Mark Daniel
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's why they get paid the big bucks! Instead of a trap, roller curtains can be used for a much quieter production. The only one who sticks his head through the Palanquin is the performer, and he won't tell!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
I appeceiate the ideas thanks!!!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hello,

As noted elsewhere, Creative Magic is putting out an ultra-light, packs ultra-small version of Bryce's Screen (with his blessing) and you can even supply your own material to cover the frames.

They are calling it B-Screens, and it looks like a good product. The video on the Creative Magic site is a pretty mediocre performance/demonstration, it can be staged far, far more deceptively and impressively.

If you go to an old Abbott's Magic Company catalogue and find the lengthy Bryce's Screen description there, you'll get many more clues on how to stage it in a "grand manner" and make it look a lot more mysterious.

So use the old presentation, but buy the new cool version (it's almost a $-grand, but I doubt anyone could make it well for much less). I've been in touch with Brian, and he's been great about details, very supportive and helpful!

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hello All,

Brian at Creative Magic had asked me to clarify
the comments I made on the Magic Café
about his version of Bryce’s Screen for him,
which I did.

I think this is a great opportunity to work an Abbotts classic illusion
into a stage show with maybe a fifth of the weight and bulk of the old versions.

I thought it fair to post what I wrote to Brian (in part)
about the flexibility and possibilities with his new version the B-Screen--

Brian, I know you were limited in how you had to video Bryce's Screen,
but that is sort of a shame, as in a full performance it looks much better,
from the audience's point of view.

In performance the screens can:

A- Be semi-folded and the entire "cube" turned around to show front and back.
B- Left in standing "zigzag" position be spun around to show both sides.
C- The screen(s) shifted from stage right to stage center.
D- Four audience members stationed in the four corners of the stage, stage right, left, upstage and downstage.

A "sequence" of these moves can also be combined, e.g.:

1- The Screen is far stage right (or left) during the show.
2- Assistants shift screens from side area to stage center.
3- Assistants slowly turn the full screens (in long zigzag) slowly.
4- Screens are "folded" into the diamond/cube shape.
5- Again in this shape the assistants twirl the screen 360 degrees.
6- The magician provides appropriate gestures, maybe walks once around.
7- CEO or Santa is revealed as the Screens are opened.
8- The Screens are folded and either taken off stage, or left as background.

In addition to the moves, I personally always believe in presenting some
"logical" premise for having the screens or making someone appear,
so in a storytelling vein I'll be writing up a custom presentation,
perhaps story-based, to bring more human and emotional impact to the illusion
(in addition to the rather impressive "ta-da" moment of having your CEO appear).

I've also seen, though less spectacular in effect, a CEO/Santa,
made to vanish, the above sequences reversed.

I think part of the success of what is a fairly simple straightforward Illusion such as this, is to make a deal out of it, and make the "magic" look as daunting as Copperfield making a jet vanish.

The old, old Abbott’s catalogues had a killer description of the Screens that made you want to run out and order them immediately (I’d wanted a set since being a teen centuries ago, but did not want the weight and bulk of the wood).

Hope that clarifies my take on Bryce’s Screen.
It does take a whopping amount of rehearsal to make it play quite smoothly.

Thanks, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I sometimes use a table load and sub trunk curtain with slitted back. Assistant is in table curtain on floor in front of table slightly to one side over lapping table slightly. Pick up curtain bumping table slightly for her cue to crawl out of table and through slit of curtain. Drop curtain and there she is.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Debating between three illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL