The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Portraying an Alien... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
One of the characters I'm portraying is an alien. However, it is an alien who is disguising himself as a human(!)

Just for your info. I'm 5'1", lean and bald (shaven).Thus, I'm a perfect candidate for those X-Files big eyed alien types imo.The Greys I think they're called.

I need suggestions for suitable effects, costumes, props etc. to go with this persona. Example, needle thru arm but with green fluorescent blood oozing out.
Thanks! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
George Kirkendall's "Philosophers Stone" illusion might be applicable here. In it, the performer's head slowly changes into a skull.

The makeup is messy. It must be performed in complete darkness to be effective. The equipment is difficult to build.

Since Kirkendall is dead, no one is now making the black light apparatus.

Still, it is an idea.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Pakar Ilusi, great idea! You could also use your own great idea of having your voice not register on tape. I'm going to have a think about this, as I'd guess it will be a rich seam for us to mine. But first thoughts:

Missing time: watch effects.

Electronic equipment affected: either complete power outs, or individual devices fail.

Strange technology: Chad, in another thread, outlined an anti-gravity effect. As well, things can be 'transported' a la Star Trek. I once posted a psychic surgery to remove implants idea.

Strange personal powers: pk, esp, and so on.

Disquieting personal attributes: cold skin temperature. Slow heart rate. Strange smell(!) Unusual physiology. Absent/extra body parts.

Memory effects: effects where audience find perception altered, and thinking impaired.

Publicity stunts: men in black (MIBs not the film per se) doorstepping to un-nerve/intrigue local journalists into publicising you.

Some first ideas, but I'll 'sleep' on this, as I love the premise.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. I've just had an idea for an X Files type alien killed turning to green goo scenario, so keep watching those skies!

P.P.S. It's been a pet theory of mine that similar things went on in the mid 19th century Spiritualism boom, as have gone on since the mid 20th century with aliens. Stuff happens in the dark, usually. People have a tendency to range themselves into believers or skeptics camps. Some believers suggest that contact provides warnings/advice/salvation from superior beings. Some of the entities are malevolent. Lots of fraud and nutters in both subjects, but enough curiously persuasive evidence to unsettle, and demand an intelligent response. Just my pet theory, but it does mean that any seance type effects you know/do, might be easily adapted to your present needs.

C.S.
-- QCiC --
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks Bill. You got me thinking about a layer of skin peeling off and exposing grey skin underneath effect. Maybe even a face-off effect ala Mike Micheals "Robot-O"- character but with alien features underneath!

Thanks Caleb for those really great ideas!
Good to hear you liked my idea on the missing voice!

Really liked the missing time idea!

Equipment failure could be achieved through the PK gimmick but I'd have to dislike the person a lot to do that kinda damage!Maybe some exploding theater light bulbs?Hm....

Strange equipment I have though! "The Machine" illusion I made in order to perform some "experiments" with. It was built to look like those alien autopsies isolation chambers!

Imagine a tractor beam (the alien abduction "beam of light" imagery)from above pulling me up at the conclusion of the show!That would be wild!

Even a Lite Flite would be seen differently when performed in this persona!

The possibilities seem endless!

Almost all them strange body attributes effects play well with this premise! Dunno about the odor idea though, lol! Unless it was a sweet fragrance....
And mentalism effects are a MUST! Now why didn't I think of that?

The MIB Public Relations idea is really original in this sense! Might even have my assistants dress up as them during the show!

Fabulous concepts, simply fabulous!

Thanks! Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Try contacts......
And glow in the dark paint.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I think that the idea of portraying an alien has a ton of potential. Combined with kind of an X-files/MIB plot with some conspiracy theories thrown in, it has real audience appeal. It could be played anywhere from comic to scary but still be presented as real. I like it.

One question, if you don’t mind sharing, what rationale do you use for choosing to reveal your identity/powers to the chosen few?

Dave
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
If you're an alien, diguising yourself as a human, wouldn't you simply look like a human being? Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4379 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Many years back, I created a routine for the Shadow Network that involved a spectator correctly identifying which of six "alien implant devices" was the "real" one.

I'll see if I can find the manuscript and send you a copy of it...

Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Glad to see such good responses and getting great ideas.

Good idea Dr_Zodiac,didn't think of that!Thanks! I am wearing contacts anyway btw!

ptbeast, the rationale behind sharing my "secret identity" is actually a little complicated. Follow me on this one, ok? Here's how the story goes....
I'm an alien posing as a human Magician posing as an alien(!).

Think about it.

Any discrepancies/oddities in my looks or character as a human being could easily be explained away as "Oh...,that's just part of my alien Magic act..."!;)

And my "real" goal is to probe and test these human beings as to their reactions and responses when faced with alien related subjects. This way, my race doesn't have to abduct anyone anymore. They willingly come to my show to be "tested". That's why I perform and share my supposedly alien "character". To watch you watching me. Wacky with a twinge of "realism" I think....

Btw, if you're wondering why I've just made up this elaborate back story to it all,it is because I'm an actor by profession [have done mostly TV work (dramas and ads). Have even done Magic on TV a few times.]
As such, a back story makes it easier to get into character and... to answer the "why?" as to the motivations of the character.

Hope that also answers your question Peter.

Thanks Philemon, any and all help appreciated!

Thanks again guys! Smile
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Peter Marucci has an important point. You want to look like an ordinary human, but maybe just slightly "off axis." That is, you have tried to look like a human, but did not get it exactly right. Also, the option of looking non-human (under certain conditions) could still exist. Perhaps certain influences cause the alien to lose or alter some of the human disguise.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
You're right Bill. Though I think I had explained that in an earlier post. I'm an alien posing as a human Magician posing as an alien.
As such I would take advantage of discrepancies in my "disguise". It's like I can only look like human "most of the time...."! But I tell them that that was just "part of the act"!
Thanks for the input anyway.... Smile
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Pakar Ilusi, I'll try and get this down quick, as I'm off to a wedding. People have made some great suggestions. These are my general character ideas. I too think it would be best if you underplayed it, and just had enough weirdness to unnerve. For example:

As a matter of course you demand curious conditions for performances/meetings with journalists. No watches are allowed near you. When someone sneaks one in, it goes haywire. No photographs can be taken from nearer than six feet. They can zoom in all they want, but if they breach that six foot barrier, they might find their film ruined. (Severals ways of doing this. Some safe, some not so safe). Every venue must provide you with a glass of chilled, boiled water. And unostentatiously, but not secretly either, you add an unspecified powder to the water before drinking. You are also NEVER seen eating.

You could insist on unusually high/low temperatures for interviews, yet your hand is cold/hot to the touch. You speak beautifully well. This is intimidating in of itself, but combined with your other eccentricities... You are remarkably well informed about journalists etc. who come to see you.

Physiologically, you're a bit out there, too. Your 'water' is blue, much to the discomfort of the journalist who follows you to the bathroom for that quick scoop. You do not share the prevalent social taboos of your culture. You might be completely comfortable being seen naked, yet other simple things offend you (you shudder when they brush their hair). Your eyes are beautiful, but the irises are two vividly different colours. (Like Bowie). The texture of the skin on your palms/fingertips, is coarse and crude, or smooth as porcelain. Although unusually strong, you become weak as a kitten in certain situations. Fast cars, lifts etc. developing nose bleeds and vomiting. (Bowie again, in 'The man who fell to earth').

I don't suggest you do all of these, but a few might get people wondering.

Then you follow up this stuff with memorable publicity work. MIB's harrass journalists who interview you. A Ufologist publishes an article about you in a 'Way out' magazine. He cites the blue urine etc., but also has two intriguing photographs at least fifty years old. You're clearly visible in one, and partially so in the other. Yet your apperance is exactly the same as it is today. You're either Count St Germain, or not of this earth. Yet when more respected journalists chase the researcher up, he/she is terrifed, and refuses to speak. You also vanish for periods of time, and no-one knows where you are. And off the record, very occasionally, you answer probing questions with something like this. 'Let us imagine, for the sake of argument, an ancient voyager, trapped by mischance on a vulgar and uncivilised world, apart from all that he loves. Imagine the terrible loneliness he feels, imagine his pain. All the time he longs to reach out and touch the essence of another with his awful story, and yet he knows that such a disclosure would mean most certainly death. A being in two prisons. Imagine that'.

I've also had some effect ideas which I'll post after Sunday. By the way, I think some of the eccentricities of an alien would fit well with any bizarre character. I've got a soft spot for the water idea. Imagine ALWAYS adding your little powder to every glass you drink! If nothing else, they'd remember you through this alone. 'Oh yeah, I remember him. The guy with the POWDER.'

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How alien looking do you need to be?
a bad toupe and a bit of laytex could make it look like your face/hair are put on.

similarly a mere flinch at the sight of a pager or cell phone could tell folks something is wrong. Likewise an odd language swear when you mention the wrong number of cards in a deck, or a hit tune from 30 years ago as if current.

just remembered a couple of HP Lovecraft stories that touch on this. I believe the Randolf Carter story gets the idea across. There, a human went exploring and an alien came back in his place, trying to impersonate the human...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Evening dinner party on my brother-in-law's barge or narrowboat. Have 'salted the claim' as it were with various peculiar behaviours that un-nerve people. Some talk of aliens over cocktails.

Suddenly, all power fails. The boat is plunged into darkness, and the engine stops. It drifts helplessly, inexorably on, and then thumps into the canal bank.

Amused chatter, 'Where are the candles?', then without warning there is the startling sound of steam a hundred yards away. It rasps, and blisters, then stops. And I am no longer on the boat.

A search is made, but I'm definitely not on the boat. How did I get off? Swim in the water, or scramble through the mud and bushes? Unlikely. Time passes. People get uneasy. More time passes.

Suddenly, over the other side of the water, two hundred yards away, a copse of trees is brilliantly illuminated from within. Smoke snakes out from between the trees, and an unearthly noise, terrifyingly loud, shatters the night. And there, walking out from the trees, silouhetted against the light, I am.

The guests see me striding over the empty field a glorious shadow against the brilliant light. And then, without a sound, the light and noise are gone from the trees, and I am INSTANTLY back on the boat. Power returns, and I refuse to talk about what has just happened. Several of the guests have 'burns' on their hands and faces, and watches have been affected.

Two days later, the MIBs start calling on my guests...

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi,
Some time ago, when I was still searching for my character, I was thinking of using an alien character dressed up like an MIB. The first idea I got was that, as a recepticle after some productions or some other effects, I would use a small spaceship or flying saucer complete with lights and everything. And then I also thought of an effect to go with this flying saucer.
I will try to describe how I imagine this. The performer stands away from the ship. The ship is something like the one in Independence day. But a small one. Suddenly the space ship splits in half (getting into the shape of a bicuit, but the ones that are made up of 2 biscuits with the cream in the middle. I know. The way I am describing this is stupid. But I am trying to give you the vividest image possible.) Smoke(the heavy type, like the one you get from a freezer), together with green light, comes out from the split in the ship. At that moment a silver ball starts floating out from the top. The top may even open up like a flower in a star shape, if you know what I mean. Then the silver ball floats to the performer and ... I leave it there. That would be a floating ball effect with a difference.

Just now I got two more ideas.

What about getting the reputation of being in two places at the same time. That would be cool.

And this is funny and gross at the same time. Do you remember that alien who had the cat in the first film of the MIB. His head opened up to reveal a tiny alien in a control room. The whole body was like a robot. Imagine developing this effect. Wowwww!!!!!!!!
Or else a baby like character is stuck to your chest like in that Arnold Schwazenegger(did I spell that right??) film. But I forgot the name of the film.

Hope this helps.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Whoah!! Information overload!

Thanks Caleb! I agree, underplay it! The stuff you suggested are really well thought out! There's a lifetime worth of performance there! Thanks a lot!

If I'm not mistaken, DC does some of this "don't take my picture" stuff at Press conferences. That's what I heard at least....

The "blue" water stuff I can't say I will try! Smile Just not me..... The powder idea is good though and easy! Just have to switch containers on my favourite powdered drink....

Btw, Caleb.... regerding that second story, was it something you actually did or something that would be a great presentation? Anyway, great presentation.....

Jon, thanks for the suggestions..... Will look it up....

niva, great ideas! Thanks! The movie was "Total Recall" btw. I especially liked the "being in two places at the same time" idea!

Thanks everyone! Smile
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Pakar Ilusi, unfortunately, my brother-in-law has never been persuaded to offer his narrow boat for this effect. I don't know why Smile. It's still in the 'to do' tray, however, and I can be very persistent!

I wonder what's the biggest favour bizarrists here have begged for an effect? Maybe someone could start a thread. 'So then, mate, we crash your car, and then...'

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
"Well, first you lie down on this table. Ok, good... Now lie perfectly still as I take this knife and.... Hey! Where are you going? Stop! I haven't... Ah... ***...."
*Pause*
"How about you, sir?"

Smile

My earlier post gave me an idea of actually performing those experiments on abductees in my alien persona. It'll explain why after they're cut up (every which way!) they're put back together as aliens have greater technology than humans at restoring the human body. Hmmm, if I could only do it to an audience member.... Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to stick with my assistants first....
What about cattle mutilation? Now, where can I get a cow? Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have an optometrist by my house, if you need any help PM me, they have some bizarre styles!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks! Smile I'm in Malaysia btw!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Portraying an Alien... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL