The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Routining (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I had an idea of combining 3 tricks into a gambling routine where the card shark is the one to get taken at the end. I would love some feedback on how to make it even better.

The magician begins telling a story of how he was down in new orleans and a man came up . . . go into the regular color monte routine where you owe the man $14 bucks at the end of the trick.

The magician then states that after the trick he tells the card shark those where small cards he must have been palming and switching cards, so the shark brings out bigger cards and does Martin Lewis's Side Walk Shuffle.

After Side Walk Shuffle the magician brings out his money clip to pay the card shark and counts 5 $1 bills as $500. The card shark says that's only $5. They bet double or nothing of what the magician owe's the shark that it's $500 and immediatley the 5 ones turn into five hundred . . . Greg Wilson's Hundy 500.

I think this makes for great routine . . . would love some feedback though.

Thanks,
Jonathan Dupree
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Sounds like it could be a lot of fun to combine three great tricks into a nice story with some good patter.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
689 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
My only concern is that getting a decent hat may be difficult after you've just shown everyone you have five hundred bucks. But if it works with your character and you can make it visible for all your audience, go for it.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Fake hundreds maybe?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
"I can see that many of you are wondering how someone like me could have $500. It is because my last audience had 50 people in it and each felt that my show was worth $10!"
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Great line and I may have to use it ..... or a variation there of.....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
492 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
JD,

Yes, I think you are asking for trouble flashing hundreds on the street. Not because people will be less likely to give you money, but because you are announcing to anyone around that you are carrying that much cash - remember it's the street! It's scary enough after each show to think about someone watching you fill up your money bag with hard earned cash, now any potential thieves KNOW that you have at least $500.

My second thought is that you may find that having a 'theme' running through your act is actually counter productive. Linking all your tricks together makes it harder to be flexible in the show and makes it more diffficult for late comers from joining in (because they may feel like they have already missed too much).
Also, by tightly linking the tricks you may find you lose the 'punch' at the end of the first two routines, because you are making it clear that the story is not over.

Of course the beauty of the street is that you can just go out and TRY IT a couple of times and see what kind of reaction you get. What do you have to lose?

Best of luck

peter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Routining (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL