The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Gravity box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Hi,
do any of you have any experience with the Malloy gravity box?
if not this model then which one would you advise?

thanks,
Dani
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I would like to know the same thing.. I am looking into purchasing one...

Thanks,
-Vinnie
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I have the Malloy gravity box. I really like the effect but to perform it effectively I had to make a special table for it. One nice thing about the effect is there are so many ways to present it and it has great comedy potential. It requires some spectator control and great presentation but can really be a big entertaining part of someones act. It is not something I recommend as a stand alone effect for family or friends. Can be done surrounded.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have it and its a great prop.

One important aspect for Gravity Box: this is not a trick: its more like of a fun game/challange: I present it like this: first I let a small lady to try to lift the box and she succed:
next I let a big man to try to lift the wooden box and he will NOT succed. THAT IS FUNNY I tell them this: As you see women are stronger than man, that's the truth: and they will laugh, heheh...

Remember: The box will not work on all floors: the best is to test the box on the floor BEFORE you are going to perform it on.
if you buy the box I can send yo some important tips on the handling of the box for free...
You can also put props in the box when you don't use it, very handy!

A review: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......71&0
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
The gravity box could certainly be used on a floor but I don't use the box on floors for these reasons....
it puts spectator in an awkward position(spectator could throw out their back attempting to lift from floor position)
not easy to have proper floor(forget about most stages)
gives spectator too good a view in box
spectator's are better contolled by me in seated position
by using my "special" table I can perform it anywhere...even outdoors
my table looks just like a busker's waiter sytle table stand so any suspician of using magnetics is eliminated

I use a routine similar to JKellstrom except that I use instant hypnosis to make the man weaker than the child/woman. I don't want to create a challenge situation for the man, some take it a bit too serious. It is more a comedic hypnosis experiment showing the power of suggestion. For the man I drop in a picture of an elephant, house or Rosanne Barr as the suggestion to why he can't lift it. I take the picture out and the child/woman lifts it effortlessly. I finish by removing the hypnotic suggestion from the man and he can finally lift the box...everyone is happy. Choosing the right spectators dictates how much comedy you can milk from this...and you can milk alot. I saw a magician do this effect once and chose to emasculate the man in opposition to his wife. Let's just say the little box lost the fight. If anyone gets it and needs tips on making the table feel free to PM. It might cost about $50 to make make and half a days work for someone with any woodworking skills. It takes a little work but it is one of the best 5 min stage pieces I have.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Jown, thanks for that.

I was thinking that this could put someones back out if they bent over and couldn't pick it up. that would be an awful experience.
I am not sure about your table as described in your post.
wouldn't the whole table go up in the air together with the box? how heavy can a waiters stand be?

I can really picture the comedy in this item - I just can't picture how to find a solution if and when it might have to be performed on a carpeted floor.

Dani
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I was under the impression that Mr.Malloy isn't making this anymore...

Any truth to that?
xxx
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
TIP: I have done a plastic plexiglass square with two foot steps painted on each side, if you put the box in the middle of the plastic glass sheet you can use the box on any surface. It works for me Smile

See a photo: http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/gravity_box.htm
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
The Gravity Box is a great prop with tons of presentational possiblilities. An interesting idea is to put a spectator's watch in the box and talk about time and gravity being unstoppable forces on earth. Make sure they lift with their knees...there is comedy in that too. You could pull out one of those 'lift with your knees' labels that you find on packing crates and luggage tags.

I have a brand new one for sale on Magic Auction, if you're interested: http://magicauction.com/Mag_auc/stage.htm Item # ST38455 Original packaging, instructions and silk included.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Again, it is not the routine that I am concerned about.
the issue I have is having this in my act and not being able to perform because of flooring restrictions.
Thanks Kjellstrom for your tip. I could probably make something like that as it sounds easy enough.

also Mattillusion, getting them to bend at the knees was great.

thanks
Dani
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
The plexiglass square with the feet is a great idea. Why not make that a 'Lift From Your Knees' sign?

http://www.worksafebcstore.com/Merchant2......PS22.jpg

The fact that it's such a small box would make having a sign funny and it would also justify having the sign!
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Good thinking Mattillusion and thanks for the graphic.
I'm glad I've got you guys thinking this up for me because I have no experience with this item what so-ever.
so why are you selling yours?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2006-11-10 13:34, Mattillusion wrote:
The plexiglass square with the feet is a great idea.

Send me a [big] check if you use my idea, jokingly...!
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
I actually won mine in a holiday contest drawing and although it was a great, functional prop, I didn't have room for it in my act so I never used it in a show. I'm making some room in my office now and thought I'd put it on Magic Auction...of course, with these new ideas, maybe I'm having second thoughts. haha. Run with it. This prop definitely has the potential to be a reputation maker and the centerpiece of a show.
Patrick Miller
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Patrick Miller
Thanks for the idea on the plexi glass.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hi All,

Doug Malloy informed me a few wekks ago that he was down to his last Gravity Box and I took it.

He's not sure when he's going to do another run of the boxes as it takes a large sum of money up front to produce them in the quantities needed to make it worthwhile.

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yesterday evening I did a magic show at a spa hotel and one effect was the Gravity Box.
I promise it was a big success: they laughed and I think this is a show stopper with a fun presentation. The floor was some kind of stone tiles and it worked out well. Without any doubt, I will continue to use Gravity Box in the future...
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Good to hear!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The proof about Gravity Box, it works!
Check out this video:!
At frame: 3:12 you can see the reactions from Gravity Box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgOEm-Mnt-Q
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Hi Mats, I beleived you before you posted your clip. but thanks anyway.

dani
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Gravity box (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL