The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's Smokin' Dragon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi:

Just curious if anyone has this product. I'm thinking of purchasing one and wanted to get some real world opinions about the puppet, the smoke, and the combination of the two. Steve, anything more than you said on your website would also be helpful, but also looking for some real world experience from some Café members. Thanks!!!

Best,

Jon
KRamsay
View Profile
New user
KRamsay
16 Posts

Profile of KRamsay
Jondark,

I own about 12 of Axtell's puppets including the Dragon. I can't say enough about Axtell's products. I use them almost exclusively. I chose not to get the smoke option. There are certain circumstances where I would love to have it but the added expense wasn't a good cost per benefit for me. I think the smoker unit would be best suited for puppet stage work. The gimmick can be conceiled behind the stage. If it's Axtell don't hesitate for a minute. You will not be sorry.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I don't own one but a member of my KIDabra Chapter does, and he is using it in his Renasiance Fair. I wathed it it plays very well and is on my Wish List next to the Alligator and the Rabbit In the Hat puppet if Steve Creates one.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Of all the Dragons we sell, most of them have the smoker effect built in, but it's not necessary. Also the smoke can is built into and hidden in the tail. The audience never sees anything except the smoke coming out of the dragon's nostrils. The only thing you do to make that happen is grab his tail (with the hidden can inside) with your free hand and press it upward against your elbow. Most never notice you did anything because you typically hold him that way so it doesn't look too obvious. There are LOTS of our smoking dragons out there working so I'm sure you'll hear from others.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Did any of you Dragon owners get the "EARS" option on your dragon?

I watched a Axtell Contest youtube video and one dragon had ears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMZ5e-J_......s%2Ehtml

and I though it gave him much more personality.

The poseable ear option isn't expensive.

But the moveable ears is very expensive.

You can even get moveable wings.

What do you think?

Dragon, Poseable Ears, Smoke option + S&H = $600 or so.

Which is a GREAT deal.

http://www.axtell.com/dino.html

And, NO I don't own a dragon....YET!

Thanks-Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
I have the dragon with the smoke option (didn't know about the ears until Nez mentioned it, is that new?) and love him. It is more expensive to have the smoke option, but if you are spending enough to buy an Axtell puppet, you migtht as well spend a little more and get it set up right.

Most of the shows that Meihoo works (that's my dragon's name) he never breathes smoke. There is only one little gag that I do where he does it, but when he DOES do it, it is worth the cost.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1119 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 23:28, Julian Franklin wrote:
I have the dragon with the smoke option (didn't know about the ears until Nez mentioned it, is that new?) and love him. It is more expensive to have the smoke option, but if you are spending enough to buy an Axtell puppet, you migtht as well spend a little more and get it set up right.

Most of the shows that Meihoo works (that's my dragon's name) he never breathes smoke. There is only one little gag that I do where he does it, but when he DOES do it, it is worth the cost.

I really like that approach. Sort of like using a topit or holdout--one well placed vanish will have folks talking for a long time. Going to the well too often lessens the impact and makes it less memorable, in my opinion.

I just got the Axtell animated bird arm illusion with the Vern puppet. I love it. My next purchase will be the Dragon with the smoke option. What a clever idea. Steve's a genius!
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Go to the library and check out a children's book called "The Library Dragon". It is very popular and the children's librarian will know exactly what you are talking about. It is filled with puns, jokes, and such related to dragons. You will find some stimulating ideas for dialog.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'm just going to purchase one of these guys and your info about this book is greatly appreciated..thanks!

Smartini
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The smokin' dragon has always appealed, but can someone tell me if the smoke is actually a fine spray of oil? I have the smoke from ears effect, which is great, but can start to get messy, as a fine film of oil is sprayed.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
This is a Dragon Pop-Up-Book.

Its beautiful, big and well made,

I got mine at a Ren Faire years ago.

Greg Hildebrandt's Book of Three-Dimensional Dragons

http://www.google.com/products?q=greg+hi......ct=title
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Google had some invisible stuff when I did my copy/paste.

Try this:
http://www.google.com/products?q=greg+hi......rls=HPIA
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Potty,

It is an oil based spray, but unless you are really spraying it for long periods of time it is not an issue. I oringinally ordered two EXTRA cans (in addition to the original can that came with the unit). I have still not finished the first can!! Now, some may use more than I do, but it is really not an issue unless you are spraying LOTS of smoke at every show and in my opinion there is really no reason to do that. A little goes a long way. It is the FACT that the dragon blows smoke, not how MUCH smoke he blows that makes the impact.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I understand that, Julian, and I love the smoke effect. But I do find with my smoke effect, that the area near the source of the spray (my ears and collar), get more than just a light spraying. Don't you find oiol collects around the spray nozzle? It's just a factor I need to consider when devising a routine. The obvious thing with the dragon is to teach the dragon to breathe fire. It's a shame that the baby dragon doesn't have the smoke option, as I think he looks MUCH cuter than the "Daddy" dragon.
I've been using "Dinostar" frequently for nearly six years now, and he's still in good working order. He's adorable!
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Potty, The smoke effect was developed years after the Dinostar was made, and the Dusty Dragon nostrils were designed in a way as to attach the spray nozzles. That's the reason it's not offered as an option on the baby Dinostar. We can add them to the baby dinostar but they show more as mounted on the face....they tend to be hidden better on the dragon's larger and deeper nostrils by design.

Make sure to wipe off excess mineral oil around the nostrils (nozzles) of the dragons nose. It should not sit and soak into the latex surface. So just wipe it off after your shows.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's Smokin' Dragon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL