The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L & L Publishing Proudly Presents Max Maven's NOTHING DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Im looking forward to some reviews! Everybody, me included , seems to still be waiting for their DVD's to arrive!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4909 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yo can buy it here for only 75 dollar:
http://www.elmagicshop.com/
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1399 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Plus shipping which is $12.45 . Total then is $87.45 ...

Quote:
On 2006-10-16 13:17, Kjellstrom wrote:
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I just received the dvds from L&L. I totally forgot that they do price matching. usually remember that. Oh, well, at least I got the new "Greatest Magic Performances vol. 3". I will watch them soon and post a review.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Got mine today, will watch tonite!
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-10-16 14:45, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Plus shipping which is $12.45 . Total then is $87.45 ...

Quote:
On 2006-10-16 13:17, Kjellstrom wrote:

do the other shops offer free shipping?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

L&L has free shipping and they price match. So if you see the set for $75, tell L&L and they'll sell you the set for $75. I have done this in the past and they do it with no questions asked.

MJM is also selling this for $88 I believe.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
My Review:

I perhaps take a different approach to watching these sort of things to most- I really didn't care so much about the "How" but I wanted to see the performance. After that, I took the time to watch the Conversation portion of the first DVD. I must say that if I had known, I would have watched the conversation FIRST, simply because it would have given me a deeper appreciation of the performance.

Ok... So, what did I think of this DVD? I loved it! I have to say that the conversation portion was brilliant and I really appreciated getting a bit of insight in to the thought process behind putting together the act, the DVD and the routines. I think that the SMART performer (mentalist or magician) will take the time to really listen to those words and learn from them.

I would love to see Max, and in fact MORE of the great thinkers and performers of magic, share THESE kinds of insights on DVD or in book form. I think that there are MORE than enough "effects" out there for 20 lifetimes, but more people need to be exposed to this sort of process thinking. It was quite brilliant and insightful!

The show and material is, as one can expect, brilliant. Of course it has highs and lows and there were routines I liked, those I loved, and those I could have done without. The show is Max's of course, so it is there as food for thought, and then a creative starting point for YOU as a performer. Max challenged me to think more about how my character would use this material if I were to do so.

Methodology-wise, the experienced psychic entertainer will probably deconstruct most of what is going on during the show as it is going- with a few exceptions that you might have to "guess" on. Some items will prove to be real foolers even for those with experience- but who cares, really. The meaningful thing to me was that MOST of this show still proved entertaining for me. The routines were fun, built on a theme and grew from an idea, which you were unconsciously aware of when watching- and later made explicitly aware of during the discussion section.

For me, another pleasure came from the "Panel Style" method explanations, not because the all star panel shared very much, but because they made Max sound warm and at ease. These people are his colleagues and friends, and as such, there was a real warmth and FUN in his voice. (I’d make a pun which you’ll understand later about him letting his hair down…. But that would be too much.) One of the things that surprised me when I saw the Video Mind tapes from years ago was that Max came off as kind of terse. My few direct dealings with Max years ago found him to be anything BUT and I was pleased to see a warmth, fun and sharing tone in the explanation section of this DVD set.

If you get these DVD's just to learn a "bunch of new tricks," you will either be thrilled or disappointed, based on your knowledge, experience and comfort level with "gutsy" mentalism.

If you get this DVD to learn, grow and add something to your philosophical base of how to construct a routine- as well as to find a few BRILLIANT bits of business that you may add to your own presentations- I think you will be 100% thrilled!

I can strongly recommend this DVD set, and also say that I think it was priced appropriately and fairly!

Thank you Max for this open sharing, and I hope that there will be more to come in this style!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Just recieved the 'Nothing' DVD's and have to say the production quality of L & L is top flight. The detail that max goes to in order to explain each effect, its history, logic, and performance is really exceptional.
The effects themselves are not especially earth shattering ( which I believe was not his point) BUT the knowledge you glean about audience management, giving volunteers directions, etc. etc. is great stuff.

There is so much more that I have yet to enjoy, just thought someone might want a peek at what to expect.
And I would have to say that L & L has the absolute, hands down, corner on the market when it comes to attractive women in the audience!

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
419 Posts

Profile of ekins
Leapinglizards, thanks for taking the time to do your review. I was holding back on ordering these DVD's even though the premise was interesting. I already have more than enough tricks to work on. But now that it appears there is a significant amount of routining, performance, and philosphical information I'll have to reconsider.

-Brian
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1546 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Great review Leapinglizards, ''unconsciously aware of when watching-and later made
explicitly aware of during the discussion'' So very well put.This is what I felt watching the L&L Tommy Wonder set!.My kids show is better thanks's to MM!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Could you let us know what sort of effects he does in the routine? (billets, etc)

Thanks
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
If it's of any use to anybody there is a bit of a demo video clip at http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk/new/dvd.htm#3 ...great price too if you ask me!

Thanks for the reviews, really tempted to get this one now!
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Thanks to those who reviewed these! Sounds like great dvd's!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Wonderful dvds. The effects are outstanding. But the real gold here are the explanations and discussions with Michael Weber. Great stuff.

If you are looking for a bunch of tricks, this is not the dvd for you. Don't get me wrong, the effects are very strong. But there are eight effects total and most of them are designed for the stage. If your looking for great ideas and food for thought, this is a dvd set you will love.

There's also a bonus commentary track where Max breaks everything down during the performance. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it looks to be very interesting.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1865 Posts

Profile of Daren
I have this dvd, where can I find the easter eggs?
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I give it a 9/9 out of 10 (I find the fact that you can't skip the intro annoying). The information is terrific! The commentary overlayed on the show is just incredibly insightful--he takes you in his mind, while he is doing minor adjustments on the fly. So far, this is the only teaching material I have ever seen that gives a practical example of this. I think most people watch a DVD or read a book and do it as taught/written. But Max shows you why every moment in a show gets tweaked. This is a skill that performers need to develop over time. Assessing and re-assessing on the fly. It is the discussions that are the big value here. The actual effects are great, but a good performer can make piddly nonsense really stand out. Henning Nelms, Fitzkee, Punx these are all great examples of how the story, the drama, the showmanship and the process are far more important than the trick itself. Something Magicians, Mentalists and most performers just don't get. They rely too heavily on the trick to carry the weight. (Don't get me wrong, a great trick is great too...).

Thank you Max, for addressing this aspect of our art.

I cannot find the easter eggs yet (that also contributes to the 0.1 deduction).
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Can someone give a review of the effects.

I know max maven is good, and has been doing magic forever, and thinks a lot about magic. I also know that besides the paid spectator's the production value is usually very good. L&L has had many interviews throughout all the dvds that were very good.

In the 2 pages of the post there is not 1 review that I saw of a trick that he does. I'm surprised more people aren't curious that if he does magic with nothing what does that leave?

Can someone describe the tricks and routines if you liked the actual routines or not(not if you liked max's performances, since the answer will probably that you liked it.) Before I spend 70 bucks I want to know what's on it, because a good magician and an interview.

later
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Sorry, It seems that most of us are of the same mind that the effects really don't matter. The comments and the thought process are the important elements, at least to me. And I paid $100 to L&L. If you need more than that, this may not be the DVD set for you, not yet.

Peace.

Tony
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6246 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2006-10-17 16:58, clamon86 wrote:
Can someone give a review of the effects.

I know max maven is good, and has been doing magic forever, and thinks a lot about magic. I also know that besides the paid spectator's the production value is usually very good. L&L has had many interviews throughout all the dvds that were very good.

In the 2 pages of the post there is not 1 review that I saw of a trick that he does. I'm surprised more people aren't curious that if he does magic with nothing what does that leave?

Can someone describe the tricks and routines if you liked the actual routines or not(not if you liked max's performances, since the answer will probably that you liked it.) Before I spend 70 bucks I want to know what's on it, because a good magician and an interview.

later

Well, first, if you reread the reviews you'll see that the true value of these DVDs are the teaching segments on why these effects where chosen and their background stories.
But if you insist on just knowing tricks then here is a basic list:

1.) An Add-A-No type effect
2.) A "Do As I Do" type effect with two watches
3.) An effect in which one spectator ends up getting Max to pick another spectator's astrological sign at random
4.) A Bank Nite effect
5.) A great magazine test
6.) A very good pseudo psychometry effect.

Does that satisfy the tricksters now?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L & L Publishing Proudly Presents Max Maven's NOTHING DVD's (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL