The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Reviews: VentriloquistDummy.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Im selling Bobby...please check out at

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......80&7
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
BTW, the only reason Im selling him is because a friend offered a new figure to me. A wooden Selberg Smile which I can't afford unless I sell Bobby Smile

Here's a short clip Smile

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9063420018914693116

Thanks

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I sold my wooden Selberg and decided to keep the Poyner figure...

I have fell in love with it...and the kids in Manila simply adore him Smile

Another thing...Kem Poyner emailed me a couple of days ago and gave permission to use his figure for FREE for a commercial DVD I'm planning to make... Smile

Thanks Kem Smile

Here's a clip taken about a year ago, this was the 2nd time I used him, pardon the language barrier...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9063420018914693116

and this was about a year after...basically the same script...I just hope I improved a little on the manipulation Smile

http://wanlu99.multiply.com/video/item/2......ILLUSION
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
My back-up head from Kem Poyner Smile

I'm using this one right now because the original head needed a repaint and a winker repair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trrv4lH_7AM
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Oh btw, I paid for shipping both ways, but the repair and repaint was FREE Smile

I also paid for a new wig Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
deliveryboy
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
I also have one of Ken's figures it's great and excellent customer service.
John
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hi gang...

I have been using a Poyner Bobby as my main figure for more than 3 years already. The figure and mechanics are okay. I bought a back up head as well. Yes, I'm a big Poyner fan...

Aside from my Poyner Bobby, I also have a Scuddlebud figure. I believe I have Scuddlebud #1 based on the pictures in Kem's site. It was in fact a Scotty but I requested Kem to add a wig on it and I'm guessing he liked the looks so he came out with the Scuddlebud series. The figure is cute but it broke after a few weeks and I had Kem repair the mouth and since then, the figure is all well.

However, just last week, I bought a new Scuddllebud from a Café friend and I was shocked when I got it. The quality specially the headstick is so poor. The mouth hardly opens and the lever for eyebrows was upward instead us the usual downward. To top it all, the head is very heavy.

I asked Kem about it and his reply was it was one of his very early figures which does not make sense. Original owner said it was bought just months ago. Something is wrong somewhere...I just hope everything is fine at Kem's end...

I regret to say that this figure is not up to the usual Poyner standards of high quality figures...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Is that the Scotty you have up for sale?
If it weren't for having to hold onto my cash for an upcoming move to another state, I would have been very tempted to buy that figure even with the problems, I'm sure I could fix it and I'd love to have another one of Kem's figures.

I'm surprised to read about the problems you've had. I had one of his figures and it was excellent in every way. The only reason I sold it was because it was a female figure and I just couldn't do what I considered a satisfactory voice for a female.
BTW, I noticed on his site, he calls the Scuddlebuds "starter figures" and I'm wondering why that is.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Nope... I was selling my #1 Scuddlebud precisely bacause I bought this new one with raising eyebrows...

There is nothing wrong with the one I was planning to sell... but now its not for sale anymore unless of course this new figure is repaired.

I was surprised too, been using a Poyner as my main figure for almost 4 years...that is why I know exactly his standards...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I would just put the one up for sale that you're not too enthused about, with an accurate description of what you don't like/is wrong with the figure like you did here, then you don't have to worry about repairing it. Nothing wrong with selling something that needs work as long as the buyer knows what they are getting.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 20:08, blueshawk1 wrote:
I would just put the one up for sale that you're not too enthused about, with an accurate description of what you don't like/is wrong with the figure like you did here, then you don't have to worry about repairing it. Nothing wrong with selling something that needs work as long as the buyer knows what they are getting.


Not my style... I can't sell junk and feel good about it.

All the figures I sold in the past were nice and quality figures. I sold them because I don't use them or needed funds to buy new ones... most of them I sold at a lower price than what I got them for.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3283 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Wanlu;

I am new to ventriloquism and I can’t comment on comparing the quality of different puppet makers; but I have had many years of experience in purchasing new versus used.

You purchased the figure used and not from Poyner; you really don’t know what the history of the figure is.

Poyner tells you that it’s an early model of his figure; and you state that “the lever for eyebrows was upward instead us the usual downward” is a good indication that someone along the way may have fooled with the levers.

I would conclude by reading the post, that you don’t know where the previous owner truly purchased the figure from, or what modifications were made after it was sold.

I am wondering how you can say that “I regret to say that this figure is not up to the usual Poyner standards of high quality” since you have not seen the quality of his work by purchasing from him directly and seeing the quality first hand.

This is not a post to question your judgment; I just would like to add my opinion on the additional facts of the purchase you made.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 20:37, Wanlu wrote:
Not my style... I can't sell junk and feel good about it.
All the figures I sold in the past were nice and quality figures. I sold them because I don't use them or needed funds to buy new ones... most of them I sold at a lower price than what I got them for.


It's not a bad thing to sell a figure like that (or anything else) if you're totally upfront about it's faults and/or problems, it would only be bad if you sold it saying it was perfect and wonderful.
There are a lot of people who look to buy stuff that needs work because they can usually get it cheaper and they enjoy or don't mind fixing stuff themselves to save some money.

Quote:
On 2011-03-06 20:37, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
You purchased the figure used and not from Poyner; you really don’t know what the history of the figure is.
Poyner tells you that it’s an early model of his figure;
I would conclude by reading the post, that you don’t know where the previous owner truly purchased the figure from


I was thinking this myself.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 20:37, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
Wanlu;


...I am wondering how you can say that “I regret to say that this figure is not up to the usual Poyner standards of high quality” since you have not seen the quality of his work by purchasing from him directly and seeing the quality first hand.



Buzz... with all due respects, I wish you could read previous comments first before making one. I have 3 high quality Poyner figures... and as a big Poyner fan... I know that this is not an old figure, how can a Scuddlebud which is his latest series be old?
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3283 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I can understand your rebuttal the only reason I commented was a question about the comment in your first post;

“I asked Kem about it and his reply was it was one of his very early figures”

This all I can contribute, it was a reply to a comment you made here.

Now the question is; who do you believe Kem, or your friend?
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I think that in fairness to Kem Poyner, you guys have a point.

Thus I have asked the original owner to post his story...

Maybe it would be best to wait for his comment before we make more comments...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hey Buzz... I totally understand your point, thanks for your concern.

I bought 3 high quality figures directly from Kem Poyner in the past 3 (almost 4) years and have used it as my main figure in my act... I think I know what Im posting about as far as Poyner quality is concetned. But your point is well taken and much appreciated.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3283 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Wanlu;

Please understand, it is not my intention to argue, I just posted a comment concerning additional facts about your post, to be fair.

This topic goes back to 2006, what is posted here is permanent and I am under the impression that this site is for ideas and comments for the betterment of magic and ventriloquism.

I would never want to see anyone be unjustly accused without having the full facts of the issue and a complete discussion of the problem.

I hope you don’t hold this against me.

Buzz
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
No problem Buzz... I think that's the idea of a having a forum. Everyone is entitled to an oppinion.

I totally have nothing against anyone... specially nothing against Kem Poyner or the original owner of the figure.

This review is a review for this particular figure and not about Kem's work in general.

Im a BIG Poyner fan if not the biggest but I call a spade a spade.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3283 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Wanlu;

May I suggest an alternate approach to the resolution to your problem that will not cause further negative posting in the thread or the previous owner having to defend his position and actions.

I suggest sending the head to Kem Poyner for his evaluation; you have a history with him and if anything is not as it should be, I am sure he will give you the history and make it right.

When I purchased Dan, he was damaged in shipping; instead of having words with the seller about the method of packaging, or the condition of the figure, I sent the head to Dan Payes; he was more than helpful and got me up and going with no arguments or finger pointing.

In my humble opinion it may be the easiest resolution to the problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Reviews: VentriloquistDummy.com (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL