The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Create our own magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Whack on the Side of Your Head"

I read that book a while back too Larry and I could not agree with you more. Applying individual creativity to your own material is of paramount importance in the development of entertaining routines. It's also extremely important to apply when performing another magician's routines, sleights, or moves. The "magic" is the interaction between the audience and the performer, and we make that magic our own by stamping it with our own unique flair and style. So even "borrowed moves" (appropriately credited of course) can become a unique and creative experience for us and for our audiences.

As for my take on creativity... I've said it many times in the past and it still stands true for me... My most productive moments come while sitting at my kitchen table, drinking a cup of coffee and playing with a couple coins, or cards, or what have you... and letting my mind wander wherever it wants to go Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Agreeing with Mike here, mine come when listening to a real person tell me about their impressions of what they imagine.

Still no idea how to have the door open and a parade of elephants march through the room but that is a striking image.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Harris,

If you take another look at my post I said "The War of Art" not "The Art of War"

I just wanted to clear this up as the book that I mentioned is geared specifically with the idea of getting around your creative blocks. It is a real A55 kicker of a book. You have no excuse-after reading it-to not go out and do what you have always dreamt of doing.

Do yourself a favor and put down a magic book for a little bit (Just a little bit) and pick up a copy of this book. It is a quick read so it wont take too long. Smile

C
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
This post has turned out much better than I had hoped. Eric and Joe's comments are great. Hopefully, this kind of stuff will help the people ready to take the next step in their magic.

Thanks

Craig
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Spydur..

I will check it out.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
No problem Harris.

ENjoi!

C
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Create my own, kind of. I made a bunch of linked pairs of rubber bands for an examinable linking rubber bands.

I have made a few things that I found to be too expensive to buy.
-Matt
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks I did read the war of art.

This nearly normal guy loves books and reading. In fact while reading my emails and this forum we booked 4 summer library programs.....

I am amazed at what is available in my local library and through I.L.L.(inter library loan...)..from Mark Wilson to Tommy Wonder....Wow.....

Regarding muggles with knowledge...Several Jewelers(non magicians) have told me of things they have made over the years for magicians. One was very similar to the "spy coin" that was written about a short time back...

harri9s
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Create our own magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL