The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Give Me Some Comment Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Hello there.. I always thought, if I`m not good enough, how to show to people to comment me? Well, waiting doesn't help, hope you guys can help me a bit. Comment with your best criticism.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P5gFTxRJEFY
- a f o i -
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Practice - Practice - Practice until you hate the act. Then Practice some more.

As you learn your act through practice, you will spead up the act and actions, thus becoming more interesting and cause excitement in your audience.

This process will also make you more creative and start asking yourself, "What if" queations that may turn into unique magic.
Grandice
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Grandice
I agree with the above statement Practice! It can only make you better! Even the best magicians still practice.
We build custom large scale illusions visit us @ http://www.grandiceillusions.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You have a good rountine. But everything is not smooth enough. You are turning your back too much, too long toward the audience. I advise you to practice it in front of another professional magician. Everything would be more clear to identify that way. I like the music. The lighting needs improvement. The videographer needs practice too. lol
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Houdini was only half right. Practice, Practice, Practice, Rehearse, Rehearse, Rehearse......
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Watch your own video over and over and think of what you do that can be improved.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Hmm... correct man.. i`m turning my back too much..
but how are my mechanical execution?
- a f o i -
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You need more control. The productions would be better if they were more faster and smoother. You might have to work on the openings too, so the productions will be more easier for the productions. The outfit looks nice.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Good work! It seemed to cut out at 4:52 every time I watched it, but thoughts so far...

Entering from stage right is considered a good thing (traditionally heroes and nice people enter from stage right, villains from the left). Are you opening with card scaling? I would suggest you open with the cane to silk and parasol. Also sl**v* load the first parasol, you may as well as it is your opening and you will get a nice production without having to turn your back and without a difficult steal.

Blue lighting is not very good for your act, the amber lighting that you change to in the second half is much much nicer and clearer. You might want to read up on lighting and theatre in order to choose exactly how you want it (blue is cold and hard and not very nice, amber is warming, endearing and nice!). Also why the black outs? I would also suggest having brighter lighting.

I love your music, you've timed it well, congratulations, a difficult task!

Good choice of table too.

At the start you have your tail coat buttoned and it's pulling around your stomach, you'd be better to keep it open the whole time, it'll look smarter too. Watching what I could see of your act (my computers problem) I could see no reason to be wearing the tail coat, why not wear a tux? I like the white jacket and black shirt.

As mentioned previously you need to watch your shoulders. If you turn sideways half of your audience can't see what you're doing. I've heard it recommended to try practising your act with both shoulders against the wall. It's at least worth bearing in mind that both shoulders should be in view as much as possible.

With the filming the first few productions were hard to follow. I love the fact that you're going to the trouble to produce your silks, and doing them well too. (Love the second silk, nice thinking! But watch your elbow on the steal. You don't need to turn so far to make that steal and load.)
With your snap silk production though, don't place the first one in your mouth, it is better that you place it over your shoulder or tuck the corner into your top pocket. Also the parasol that follows, when you steal it hold it closed, and add the other two silks to it, then produce. Otherwise it looks as though you produced the parasol whilst they were misdirected. On the first silk production in the snap silk you cue your audience to applaud, try saving the applause there for the parasol and keeping the silks flowing.

I must confess I was a little lost (because of the camera, not your fault!) at the end of the first piece of music where you seem to be pulling a streamer or a coil from your hand. (A transformation from the silks?). I would suggest playing with a coil you can drop from the hand in a stream, or a kabuki streamer. Also with all the cover from the coil/streamer you could produce another parasol.

Your card manipulations are looking pretty. The effects would be clearer without so much movement of your body, and without walking quite so much. At one point you do the card drop and production from foot. I think that is a better effect when the fan is produced from the foot rather than catching it in the air.

I wish I could watch the rest of the act, I did enjoy it. Keep up the good work. I hope I haven't come across as too harsh, it is not my intention to rip your act to shreds. I think you will do well, you're already better than most magicians in that you're capable of standing on stage and performing!

Paul

p.s. where did you get your parasols from?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The audience response was very appreciative - they were obviously entertained - and that's what matters. A shame that we are so often letdown by the people we have to rely on in these circumstances as a better MC, DJ and lighting person would have presented your act much more professionally - but we so often have to take what we get.

Fortunately you kept going and stayed entertaining.

More practice will of course improve the act but you're already looking pretty slick there - keep at it - and Paul Jester's advice is excellent.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Nice job afoi. That was a really constructive critique by Paul and I would only be redundant to critique much further. I would just add..more eye contact, you seemed to look to the wings alot. I know it's difficult when you can't actually even see your audience but reviewing your film should help. One really positive thing I noticed was that you present an air of being confident yet humble on stage which will go a long ways towards being really entertaining and perfecting your act. It seems you already have the ability to win your audience which is so difficult for many performers. Get all those things down previously mentioned and you will one heck of a performer.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hello, I enjoyed the act very much it was very entertaining, the only thing that I thought bout that hasn't been covered is the fact that you seen to be cutting off half the audience with your back turned. Try practising your manipulations with your back to a wall, have both shoulderblades touching the wall and practise a little that way I think that will open you up much more to your audiences. Other than that it was great and very entertaining.

Quote:
On 2006-10-12 09:21, Darkwing wrote:
Houdini was only half right. Practice, Practice, Practice, Rehearse, Rehearse, Rehearse......

Darkwing could you clarify the difference between practise and rehersal for me thanks alot.

-Aaron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Practice is doing individual moves. Rehearsal is wearing the wardrobe and doing the entire act straight through.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Oh, ok thanks pete.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Give Me Some Comment Please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL