The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Why to you build your own props? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Yes yes yes yes and yes but!
I also find that many of the off the shelf prducts just do not hold up to a lot of use. I can remake the prop using a beter construction method and get a more usefull prop. I just have to learn to paint better.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I build props because I have to. Doing a lot of Renaissance Fairs and Harry Potter themed shows means I need a lot of specialized props. Unless you know of a shop that sells Mediaeval Magic Props.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Payne it depends on what you are looking for I have found a few peopel who are making incredible props suitable for Renn
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-10-21 13:55, Michael Taggert wrote:
Payne it depends on what you are looking for I have found a few peopel who are making incredible props suitable for Renn

Oh sure now you can find a few props these days. But it wasn't so easy twenty-seven years ago when I started performing period appropriate magic.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Ok I know this has been talked about in other threads but just curious about plans. Any good books out there on making some of the smaller props not just the square circle or the break apart vanish. What are some of the props that you have made that have been out on the market for more years than we remember. I am not talking about the large illusions. I know the Osborne books are good for those and maybe even the Byyron G Wells books but what about the small props. Am I asking a question that is really to broad? Not sure, but I would like to build some things like a run rabbit run type effect or hip hop rabbits or something like that. Anyone know if these are in that, "public domain" area?

Thank you
Steven
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Yes, if we feel we can build it, the one of the reason is cheaper.

CC
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Ok now I am begining to belive I am the death to posts. It seems like after I post a reply or comment the thread just dies. Come on folks. Help give my ego a boost and lets keep going on this thread...hehehehe. I really need a new outlet..Lol Nice to reread the posts though.

Happy Magic
Steven
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
I love the feeling that I created it. And I can make changes and learn as I go along.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
That's good Dave. The creation part is a real reward. We can take the prop from conception to performance. I do not have, well in my opinion, a great creative magical mind. I have built a few things, mostly small props. I do have blue prints for a Temple Of Benares that I am going to take a shot at after it starts warming up. Hard to work in a shop that has no heat. What types of props have you made Dave?

Happy Magic
Steven
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
To reply to the original question, I have made my own stuff primarily because it wasn't available anywhere else. I'm refering here not so much to props, but to special gaffs and accessories that aren't visible to the spectators.

For example, I needed a small portable device that would clip onto a folding table and act as a servante for a Cups & Balls final load. There was nothing commercially available that I could see, so I constructed one from some screen door reinforcement strips that I bolted together, a heavy-duty spring clip and a plastic cap from an iced tea bottle. It's not fancy or beautiful, but it has held up for over a year of performances and does the job I intended.

I have also used pieces of PVC tubing as holders for coin loads, sponge balls, and so forth. I also used some scrap wood to make a holder for a set of Nesting Boxes, to keep them in a certain position prior to use. It's a cross between scavenging in my toolbox and browsing through the local hardware store until inspiration hits me. But I agree that it's very satisfying to create and use something that you've made yourself. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
Mainly because I enjoy it, and I can build and finish them exactly the way I want. I started building RC airplanes years ago and found I had a knack for building, and it's given me insight on how things go together. I like figuring things out, and I really get a sense of accoplishment when I'm done.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Heh, I build my own stuff because I'm cheap. Seriously- if you have the skills, the time, and the tools, it's better to spend $500 on materials than $5000 on a new illusion.

Also, I've always had a love of designing illusions, and grew up with a father who built a lot of stuff with his own hands. It was a big influence on me. I still build furniture and such for personal use.

Actually, though- like Hypnodream, I have a spectre from the past- a scene shop teacher who cursed me for not even being able to cut a board in a straight line*. I build to banish that ghost and prove to myself that I can do it. Besides, it taught me the builder's rule- measure twice, cut once.

* - Freehand. Yes, he was a braggart and a perfectionist jerk. I now know that few people can cut a ruler-straight line freehand. I've since discovered that's what jigs were invented for.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 22:57, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Seriously- if you have the skills, the time, and the tools, it's better to spend $500 on materials than $5000 on a new illusion.

You can't say it any better than that.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 22:57, EsnRedshirt wrote:

* - Freehand. Yes, he was a braggart and a perfectionist jerk. I now know that few people can cut a ruler-straight line freehand. I've since discovered that's what jigs were invented for.

No, he was a jackass. Craftsmanship isn't cultivated by denigrating sincere, good-faith efforts that produce imperfect and elementary results. Good for you for keeping up with tools despite that idiot's mangling.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
40 some years ago I didn't have much money so had to build my own props. Been doing it ever since. I guess old habits are hard to get rid of.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Usually I build my own props when I cannot find what I need anywhere else. I am in the process of building several items right now because of this. I have planned and searched, and tried to think of everything, but I cannot find what I need for this particular routine. Several props will be required, and I have already made one, started building another, and am planning the third.

As for saving money, I'm not so sure that is always the case when you build yourself. Not long ago I needed a something to go with my Cellulator routine as the finale. A discussion was going on here at The Magic Café about it and I started getting ideas. I was getting ideas faster than I could plan! I couldn't sleep at night because I was obcessing with the project so much. (In fact, that's how I am right now with this current routine idea).

Anyway, I spent lot's of time and money figuring out, searching for, and buying all the parts I needed. Some of it was trial and error. Some of the parts I bought had identical part/model number, were in the same package, looked the same or so close to the same that any differences were practically undetectable, yet they were different inside and would not work for my application. I searched locally and on the internet. I finally got a prototype made, and I was so excited! I called it my, "High-Tech Can Phone Set". I made another set with a few improvements and I can't begin to tell you how happy I was. It works perfectly for me and I love it. However, it is untelling how much time and money I have invested in it.

There is a certain amout of satisfation in building your own props. Once the R & D is out of the way, it is not as costly, but in my case the High-Tech Can Phones still require a lot of parts and a lot of time to build. If I could buy certain parts in quantity I might be able to cut the costs slightly, but if it is not a marketed item, then you can forget that.

Regan
Mister Mystery
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
I like to build my own for the satisfaction of seeing something go from "in my head" to "on the floor". I'm not sure I'm saving any money, as the time spent is rarely accounted in the final cost, but being able to say I made it seems to more than cover the lost time. now if only I could find a way to pay the rent.
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
I build for the satisfaction but also allows me to customize. I'm building a Wakeling Sawing right now. I get to pick the woods, stains, etc. It will caost my @ $700 instead of the $4000 - $7000 from a pro builder. Ok - I also build to save s few dollars, however, if you do not have the proper tools the initial few props will be quite expensive (clamps, saws, drill press, etc...)
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
1. Nobody builds what I need.
2. I can make it more cheaply and with better-quality materials.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
It's quite simple:

a. I can guarantee it will be something no one else is working with.
b. I can build it to my size specifications
c. I can make it from exotic woods (ie. destination boxes, spirit slates, metal epic, etc.)
d. I won't have to worry about sanding and painting over stenciled dragons
e. I can build it for a whole lot cheaper than having it built by someone else...

-Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Why to you build your own props? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL