The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Where do I get tails? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
So where do I get tails? I seriously have never seen them anywhere. Will they know what I'm talking about if I say I need "tails"? Any specific stores? I'm in Toronto Canada. thanks.

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Look in your yellow pages under tuxcedos. I purchased mine from the Men's Warehouse chain.
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Ebay. The best time to try is after the high school proms. I've even seen coloured tuxcedos as well as black ones. You could also try shops which hire them out for weddings and formal occasions (yellow pages), they may be willing to sell you old ones which could only need minor alternations and repairs

Diane
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Try International Clothier at the Eaton's Centre or Oshawa Civic Centre. They often have complet tuxedos (tails too) for $99.00 Canadian. If that doesn't pan out, try uniformalwearhouse.com in Florida. They ship quick and have great deals on formal wear of all types.

All the best,

Rob
Southwest Sam
View Profile
New user
Indiana
59 Posts

Profile of Southwest Sam
Our local Tuxedo rental store (Sam Myers) has an annual Tuxedo sale in Louisville, Kentucky. Ya might try checking with your local Tuxedo rental stores in your area.

~SAM Smile
Now performing as...
-Suitcase Sam
& his Ukulele
Music ~ Comedy ~ Magic
www.facebook.com/SuitcaseSam
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
I agree, try to find used ones from rental shops that will sell them
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Any tux shop has them. Did you try a google search?
Daniel Faith
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Checkout this web site if you're interested in period tails:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/vict_mens_03.php

Regards, Steve
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Yachanin, that's a good tails. I bought mine in canada when I have my vication there, I forgot the name of the store. I wear that in my picture in my avatar..

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
In Canada (and I believe in the USA), I don't think you can beat International Clothiers.

I was at the Oshawa Centre yesterday and they are selling, BRAND NEW, a complete tuxedo with tails and shirt for $99.00 Canadian or less than $90.00 US. That's a brand new tux jacket, pants and shirt. They also had them without tails.

IC is a chain. There are numerous outlets in the Toronto area and the clerk told me that they also have outlets in the USA.

All the best,

Rob
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Classy Formal Wear in Phillip's Square, or Waxman's Formal Wear (on Avenue du Parc), are two top stores with large inventory. Perhaps it's worth the 6 hour car ride from Toronto to MOntreal (and back). Toronto must have similar formal wear sotres... I just don't know the Toronto shops.

Perhaps you could offer an exchange for service. In fact, that's how I received my first tail outfit. I was hired to attract visitors to the Classy Formal Wear booth at a Wedding show in exchange for an $800 custom-made suit --with dove pockets!... that was some 20 years ago). I just sold this suit at one of our local magic auctions for $60. That's another good source.

Here's another option...why not post a Wanted to Buy on our Café, and see what you come up with?

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I got my tuxedo from a costume company and for a great price. it was a lot cheaper buying it then renting one.
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
If you can afford it, a good tailor will make it just the way you need...you can even add in the secret pockets that a normal set of tails just won't have...

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
If you can afford it, a good tailor will make it just the way you need...you can even add in the secret pockets that a normal set of tails just won't have...

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
If you're going for white tie and tails, do two things:

First, buy the best one you can afford. A cheap old one may not look cheap and old to you, but people in the audience will notice it. It's part of your persona: either elegant or second-hand.

Second, make sure it fits you like a glove: shirt sleeves out half an inch, the vest totally hidden under the front of the coat, the waist nice and snug, the tie nice and crisp, and so forth. Again, it's part of your persona: either elegant or second-hand.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Yeah, good advice on avoiding a cheap tux. Much better to save up and buy one nice one that will last you. Avoid Men's Wearhouse like the plague It's overpriced made in Mexico nonsense. The best tuxedo short of bespoke would probably be Ralph Lauren Purple Label(made by Saint Andrews.) I'd recommend going to an outlet for a nice department store if you are on a real budget. Off Saks or Neiman Marcus Last Call or the Barney's factory outlet.

Still for around 1k, you could get a really nice custom suit.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Where do I get tails? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL