The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fake silks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hi Y'all!

I have a weird question. Being a guy that eats fake meat, wants fake leather, etc...
(I'm a vegetarian) ...I was wondering about FAKE SILKS! Lol! I'm odd, cause if there's a fly buzzing around the house, I catch him and bring him outside, and let him fly away. Then I go wash my hands REALLY GOOD! Lol! ANYway, like I said, I'm looking for fake silks, as the whole silk thang just wouldn't
go with the rest of my "lifestyle", as they don't seem to treat the silkworms really good... Now, I think I have the general opinion of the Cafe that I'm looney... But HEY, I'm a magician! Smile

Does anyone know of any good fakes?

Thanks!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Go to a fabric store. There are dozens of synthetic, silk-like fabrics available. Some of them are on the stiff side, but many of them drape softly and would be perfect to use for making "silks". If you know someone with a sewing machine, be nice to them and they might hem the fabric for you! Smile

Smile Mary B.
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
Hi Birdbrain,

It's half a year down the track, but I've just joined the Cafe. I'm also a vego and sympathise entirely.
The problem is if you're looking for compressibility. Apart from that, there's a lot of neat fabrics in great colours that we've found in fabric stores that would be fine for things like blendo and sympathetic silks, silk and ball and hank routines.
To be honest, I've not really thought it through as well as you have. Good on you!
So, does anyone out there know of any synthetics with the compressibility of silk?

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If the silkworms are being treated badly, there's no way that they're producing as much as they could. I grew-up on a farm and that is one of the most important things that was stressed in the agriculture classes -- animals don't produce well when stressed.

As for synthetics, they're not good for the environment. I work in a plastics plant and although we try to reduce the negative environmental impact, much work needs to be done. The scrap generated is enormous and the stuff doesn't break-down in a landfill.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Are silk worms in a way, magicians if they produce silks?
*just being stupid* Smile Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Nice one Brian,
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fake silks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL