The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How can you explain this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
Everybody says that spectators will not do anything against their will while they are in hypnosis/trance state. So, how did this happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwthqRJ1K......;search=
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
And while your at it, can someone explain why ANYONE watches "Two and a Half Men"?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Look up a guy named Annemann. Then look up, in the psychology section, Stanley Milgram.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
I have read Milgram's study, and I have many of Annemann's books. Can you be more specific, please?
Milgram speaks of obeying an authority, but Derren was clearly approaching strangers on the street who didn't know him.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Or was he?

We don't know that for sure...

We only know what he wants us to see..
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
Suppose he knew that was Derren Brown. Why would he give him his personal belongings? We see, CLEARLY, that it wasn't set up, and it was not a part of a mentalism piece that was set ahead with the spectator (he was confused to give Derren his things, he wasn't relaxed). If it was a set up, why would the guy run after Derren to claim his items?

So, it's not so obvious after all.
Any more suggestions?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17671 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The subject was Hypnotized throughout the entire sequence.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
I can only think of waking hypnosis, since Derren didn't emerge him from it. Something that he usually does to his hypnotized spectators.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Quote:
If it was a set up, why would the guy run after Derren to claim his items?

Maybe that was part of the set up?

Just a thought. Smile
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Oh, c'mon people...you actually buy that as real? If a guy could actually pull that off, they'd be retired in about 6 weeks and have 3 hot strippers following them around. Then again, if they can just find the kind of people that would buy into a video like that as real....hmmmm... Hey guys, I'm having a party next month where you bring as much money as you can, and I will guarantee that you leave the party with no more than 3 times what you came with!
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
So you're saying this was all set-up? Smile

What Derren was doing was a little more sophisticated than just asking them for their stuff. You can see a variant of the handshake induction taking place for starters.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
The original question, posed by Hypnotize, was about people doing things against their will. Make the assumption all was as presented here: He FREELY gave the objects of his FREE will....
He didn't understand why, and questioned his own behavior, but did nothing against his WILL; only something irrational. A big difference between the two.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Annemann's most famous principle involved 13 people... to accomplish something...

Milgram's study was on social compliance to authority. Connect the dots.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I reckon they were hypnotised before the filming, and the shot of him explaining that had a happened was edited.

I don't think it's possible, based upon what I saw, to do that.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17671 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Perhaps the subject was just released from the "Shrink Tank". Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Finish this quote:

"If it takes thirteen people to..."

Annemann said it. Apply liberally to this situation.

How much more obvious do I have to BE about this?!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Give 'em ****, Lee!
Sparrow in a barrow.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee,

Unfortunately, you are only being obvious to those who already know of what you speak. To the others, your quite obtuse. NOT your fault, mind you.

Heck, I could argue that those who fall for the routine and believe it is real as spectators are in a sort of trance themselves, but why muddle the issue?

Lee is dead on accurate here, people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Sock it to 'em, Daniel!
Sparrow in a barrow.
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
I am a VERY absent-minded person who takes great joy in helping others. This would totally work on me if done by a pro like Darren, and my wife agrees. After studying hypnosis, I have realized that I spent about half of my waking hours under light trance anyway. In the situation on the video, I would be so focused on helping him along with his pacing and leading, I am quit confident I would just hand it over.

But, please, don't try it! lol

Jon Dee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How can you explain this? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL