The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin One by Homer Liwag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I just received the new "Coin One" DVD by Homer Liwag. This is a coins across routine that looks like real magic done with what appears to be an open casual movement of the hands. No typical "fishy" moves. The routine looks great and is a definite worker.

First impression comes when you receive the package. Wrapped in a high tech static sensitive mylar bag tagged "magic sensitive", the inner dvd case is an absolute work of art. 3-fold cardboard case that has high resolution color graphics and a menu. This packaging looks like something you see on multi-million dollar blockbuster movies. I have to say it is the most sophisticated packaging I have ever seen on a magic instruction dvd.

The production of the dvd is nothing less than stunning. Very professional, with custom music track, and line graphics that fade to a real person's hands with coins. Its high tech for sure. Nice menus provide access to all parts of the dvd for quick reference or study.

The moves are carefully shown from different angles and speeds. No words are spoken. The moves are explained by intermittent text that fades in and out. There are lots of tips and handling suggestions. Like all good coins across, this routine and method will take practice. The end result is worth it. I intend on spending some time with this one.

I hope this soon becomes the standard for all magic dvds to come.

I give this dvd a 10 out of 10.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I got mine last night. I agree 100% I love this routine, and I love how he set the dvd to teach it
Kevin Fox
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fox
Mine arrived today (KNOCKOUT)
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Hmmmm, no spoken words...hmmmmmm don't like to hear that
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Hmmmm, mind's are like parachutes, they do what they're supposed to do when they are open.
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
420 Posts

Profile of ekins
For anyone wondering, the DVD is available at http://www.homerliwag.com/.

The website also has a very professional video of the routine. For those that have the DVD, how difficult is it to do? With a concerted effort, is it within reach of an average coin worker, or is it something only a few will ever be able to perform effectively?

-Brian
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
It took me about a year to learn it myself, that was from the manuscript. I suppose you could cut it down quite a bit by learning it from this DVD. I took my time with it, but it was basically about a year or so before I could use it for my paying gigs. It kills!

Sean
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I believe this routine is within the grasp of the average performer for sure. While you need to know some basic coin sleights, overall it is not a difficult routine from a technical aspect. I think the strength of Homer's DVD is that he DOESN'T talk at all, which allows you to come up with your own presentation. I've seen many would-be magicians perform a routine with the exact same presentation as the instructional DVD. This isn't inherently bad, per se, but I think everyone should "be themselves."
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I have to say, I loved seeing the homer liwag routine as I've been performing it for a while but as for a revolutionary way to learn coin magic (as many have stated), I don't see it. Personally I would have much rather seen the interaction with spectators during both routines. I think the deep would've definately looked a lot better performed to an audience with misdirection and moves taking place on the off beat.

I think the technical side of things was taken care of very well but not the actual performing of the trick, which is in my opinion where the importance lies. That said, the routine is a killer and well worth the price. I look forward to homer's next offering.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
256 Posts

Profile of Shikina
My very strong suspicion from having watched the trailer is that this dvd is not- how should I say this... FASDIU? I don't want anyone to tip the method, but do I assume correctly that this routine requires a little something more than just some coins and finger flicking?
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Just one thing, and its quite common among us magicians. Rest is practice.

Sean
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
420 Posts

Profile of ekins
I watched my copy of the DVD last night. I have to agree with everyone else regarding the production quality of the DVD. While watching I remembered struggling with some moves taught on some other DVD's and wishing they had used some similar teaching methods.

I was also expecting the method to be a lot more difficult than it is. I think this is something that an average coin worker can learn. I love the point in the routine where the third coin is visibly tossed to the other hand and then it's immediately shown that the coin hasn't gone yet. The entire routine looks very magical to me and something I'll likely take the time to learn.

-Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin One by Homer Liwag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL