The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Virtual Miracles by Peter Duffie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
Virtual Miracles

Costs: £9.95

Available From: http://www.magictricks.co.uk/prodshow.asp?code=963

Description: A unique electronic collection of fabulous card and close-up magic from some of the top names in the field.

Contributors include: Pit Hartling - Steve Beam - Paul Cummins - Jon Racherbaumer - Roy Walton - Robin Robertson - Phil Goldstein - David Britland - Aldo Colombini - Daryl - J.K. Hartman - Gene Maze - Robert Neale - R. Paul Wilson - Jason Alford - Dave Campbell - Peter Duffie - Dave Robertson - Walt Lees - Gary Ward - Paul Hallas Gavin Ross - Steve Hamilton - Richard James - Marty Kane - Peter Lamont - Val Le-Val - George McBride- Andrew Wimhurst - Fred Robinson - Peter McLanachan - Iain Girdwood - Allan Slaight.

33 Top Names * 50 Top Tricks ** That's right 50 great effects!

MagicTricks.co.uk are proud to be the only magic dealer in the World to stock this item.

Difficulty Level: 3 out of 5

The Review
Well, I'm a bit of a sucker for instant downloads when it comes to magic. No more having to wait for it to be delivered, and the lure of this was just too tempting. Instant magic! Yes! And so I bought it, not realising what I would be delving in to.

Compiled and Edited by the possibly current reigning champion when it comes to both quantity and quality of E-Books, Peter Duffie, I smiled when I saw his name on the front cover. I was also amazed at the length - 102 pages. Granted, some of these contain nothing more than a 'Back to Inded' link, and a few are taken up by the front cover, introduction and contents tables links, but there is a lot of material in here, from some well-known contributors.

Here are some of my favourite effects from the eBook:

Sandwich Spread is an effect in which two blue-backed Jokers are shown alongside a red deck. A card is freely selected, signed and replaced in the deck - the Jokers having gone nowhere near it at this point. The two Jokers are shown, front and back, and inserted at various points face-down in the face-down deck. With just a riffle and a shake the two Jokers leap together, united somewhere around the middle. Well, almost. Separating them is one single red-backed card - and yes, you guessed it, it is the signed seleciton.

This is a very nice effect. Simple method, yet a visual pleaser. There is some preparation and it's definitely not impromptu.

The Last Game is a lengthy one to describe, so I'll summarise it by saying that this is a gambling theme which involves four people from the audience and yourself - kind of a challenge effect. Despite utmost fairness, the performer repeatedly beats the spectator in a game of five-card Poker, combining elements of apparent mind-control and the like. A very nice routine, based upon Karl Fulves' According to Hoyle, apparently, from his book The Magic Book. So there you go.

Offworld to be honest, I'm quite starting to enjoy the different names magic creators are finding for their Out of This World effects; we've had Rack and Bled, Galaxy, Order This World, A New World and now Offworld. This is one of my favourite Out of this World effects alongside Order This World (and, of course, the original). Order This World is better for directness, but this beats it hands-down for simplicity and ease-of-operation, and is pretty direct in itself. Not only does a spectator manage to correctly separate the red and blacks (the display here needs a little motivation but is very impressive), but they also manage to place the card that they selected in the pile of opposite colour - without ever looking at the faces of the cards! This has a nice little built-in convincer, in most cases. If you get this - and you should - then you'll know what I mean Smile.

Royal Ace Cut Now this is a lovely and pretty direct four Ace revelation - your spectator cuts the deck in to four piles and, put simply, you show that they cut to the four Aces. Actually, it does play pretty much as that. There is some preparation and set-up, but not much at all, and once you've prepped it you'll never need to do the work again for as long as you use the deck.

If you want a gimmickless, gaffless, fully-inspectable and totally direct Spectator-Cuts-the-Aces effect then this could be it.

Well those are the Pros, but what about the Cons? Well, some of these are challenges, little bets almost, with no real magic. Some of the material is a little bit weak, but I am confident that you will find a fair few bits of magic to add to your reportoire.

Most of this stuff is good, solid magic, with effects spanning all kinds of different card magic: sandwich effects, revelations, locations, transpositions, utility moves etc. etc., some bizzare stuff and a few non-card magic items.

The difficulty level is about right too, and some sleights that are used include the Ascino Spread, The Pass, The Half-Pass, and so on - nothing really too taxing, though not everything here is for the beginner either.

Recommended.

My Rating: 7.5 out of 10.7
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Ben,

I thoroughly enjoyed your review!

Thank you very much!

'Twas a pleasure to read!

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
No worries Smile It's a great little collection of material and the more I go back to it the more I find that I like!
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Are there any photos / pictures ?
thanks
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
Nope, not photos or pictures. The writing is good enough however to learn this material without them I feel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Virtual Miracles by Peter Duffie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL