The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 3-5 Birthday Parties Every Weekend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I have to agree with Starrpower. $150/hr is not the norm with Restaurant table hopping on a weekly basis. If it was a one time gig, that is different. I have gone to most of the restaurants in the city I live in and the top guy (some of you own his products too) charges $40/hour. Me, I would charge them at least $75/hour, but I can't compete with another competor of the same quality and standard.

To answer the original post..
Most of us performers work weekends the majority of the time. The stuff during the week isn't as often. If you can just work weekends, and have the rest of the week to spend with your family then why not? If you can work up to 4-6 gigs per weekend , then you can actually attain the same level of living comfort as a high paid factory worker without the 40plus hours. So you work 6-8 hours a week, and earn 700-1000 dollars (at a minimum $125/party), that is a decent living. Of course you can charge more if you feel you are worth it.

If you are not getting the calls from the parenting magazine....look at a couple of things.
1. The magazine might not be the right place to advertise for your area/market
2. What does your ad look/say compared to others offering similar services.
3. What else besides the magazine ad are you doing to get your name out? If you do any charity work, check out thread by SkipWay on benefit appearances. You should be getting a lot of press/promotional coverage.
4. Where else do you advertise? Website/internet? Phone Book?(Although times are changing, some markets still readily use the Yellow Pages)
5. What type of, if any, promtional materials do you give out at performances?
6. The hard question...Is your show as good as it can be? You may have a good show, but do you have and excellent show? I had a good show when I was young. People were happy with my services. The were SATISFIED. I improved my show and my clients are more than satisfied. Last Thursday at a Birthday party, the mother wanted a tonne of promotional materials to refer me to other people. She had this desire/need to pass my info on. People should be begging you to pass on your info. Make them work even more for you.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hmm ... I never thought I was on the high end of the scale. I know pretty much every restaurant worker in the City and none of them work for $30 - $50 dollars an hour. The restaurants are not high-end. They're just middle of the road, family restaurants. But I guess each market is different.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Yes they are Kent. What city are you in? I am in Windsor (Canadian car manufacturer city across from Detroit). Since there have been many layoffs, most factories workers are feeling a pinch. Everything is cutting back which also means layoffs in the factories that supply Chrysler, Fords....With that in mind, this is probably the reason why the market is so low around here. I don't see myself getting a restaurant gig because I won't go less than $75/hour. I usually aim for $100.00 but will take the drop if the situation is good enough for me (free dinners for two, 3 month contracts or more...).

But like Al mentioned though, with so many other people charging the lower amount, that what makes the market and it is hard to compete with that.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
My thoughts on this...
1. Could be your market
2. Could be your promotions
3. Could be most magicians lie through their teeth about how many shows they get.

:)
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Jay Sankey, on his restaurant dvd, says that restaurant workers should be getting paid at least $100 per hour. Being that he's from Ontario (if I remember correctly), this would be in Canadian dollars. Probably about $85-$90 US.

Being in the same city as Kent, I must say that I've been unable thus far to garner the same fees that my fellow magician Kent is getting. I've tried, but have been given various reasons by the management why it just ain't gonna happen. Smile

So, I currently work three restaurants in the same chain that Kent is in. The fees range from $50-$87.50 per hour (two hour gigs each). I also get a lot of spinoff work from these restaurants, one of which was a $400 birthday party last week! ($225 for the show, $25 travelling expense, 15 goodie bags at $7.00 each, and a whopping $95 tip! Didn't quite reach Silly Billy's record of a $500 birthday party, but it's currently my record.)

Brian
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I am a professional magician also, and I perform on average 3 children shows each week. Most of those are 2-hour shows. (I offer 1-hour shows, but most people want the 2-hour party package).

I advertise in the local yellow pages and have free entries in the telephone directory and other sources such as the web.
The one thing I don't do, is sell myself at every kids party though.

That is because I have seen entertainers who were there to do a show, but did nothing but promote themselves to the next client. They forgot that they were already with a paying client to begin with. They gave out their leaflets during the middle of the show, and to every child that came to help. His telephone number was pasted over his magic box and he even did a trick with his telephone number.
It looked really bad, and I cringed because it wasant a magic show, but rather a cheap promotional effort.
At the end of each show, I just leave a pile of leaflets on a chair at the door for the intrested parties to pick-up.

Did the mid-show advertising work though... I hate to say it, but probably yes. However, I will NEVER lower myself to such a level of performing that I would damage the entertainment factor.
I don't care how much more work I could get, I have been hired to perform a show of magic, to children. Not promote myself. As a professional entertainer, that is exactly what I will do.

There are other tricks I refuse to do. Such as decorating your car to look like it was last used in the circus. With posters over the windows and giant mouse ears on top.
People who do this, usually park their car outside of a different school each day, using the car as a promotional posters for all the parents collecting their children. At first glance, this is a pretty smart idea.
But if you use your car for other purposes other than magic, you start to look like a complete idiot when you go to buy some milk. Your job becomes your life and you become the joke. The audience is no-longer laughing with you, but rather at you.
It means that you have sacrificed normality by messing up your car.
I've heard lots of ideas such as magnetic posters etc. I've not decided too much into that, but its one possibility.

The truth is, you can always get more shows by selling yourself. But I refuse to do that. I will sell my show and that's it. I'm not going to become a millionaire from performing magic. I barely pay the mortgage, but I'm happy with myself and can buy milk without being laughed at.
It comes down to how much you want to degrade yourself and if you want people to laugh at you both in a show and on the street.

Steve
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Ku7uk3 , it sounds like you have self-esteem issues!

I agree that you can go too far with promotion. Handing out stuff during a show is tacky and if I was one who had hired that person, I would be angry that he was wasting time not doing the show and entertaining which is what he is paid to do.

I don't decorate my car with any advertising just to help prevent it from attracting attention to it and possible getting broken into. Since I am a DJ also, if my vehicle said that, some people might think it has all that expensive equipment inside. Which it just might.

As for people laughing at me because I look like an idiot...well try clowning sometime and then going to get something from the store after a gig. I actually enjoy making people laugh, so this is not a problem for me. For people such as yourself, this would seem to present a problem.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Ah, but there are ways of promoting yourself during your show that are subtle or humorous. You don't want to hit people over the head with advertising, but a subtle mention like "I was doing this trick for an elementary school last week . . ." can be effective. Everyone now knows that you work at schools, but you didn't stop the show to tell them that.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2006-10-15 09:45, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I am a part-time children's entertainer who performs just on weekends. I've been at this now for 10 years and have a very funny and professional kids show. My clients love my work and have told me this again and again.

While I have shows just about every weekend, I've never achieved the volume of shows that others talk about on the Magic Café. Whereas I might have 1-2 birthday parties booked on a Saturday and MAYBE (just mabye) another show on Sunday, I've never been able to reach a point where I was booked up solid with let's say 2-3 birthday parties on a Saturday AS WELL AS on a Sunday.

If you're achieving the type of numbers I'm referring to, I'd like to hear your comments on what I need to do to get to this level.

Just for the record, I have a nice ad in a parental magazine, a website, and I distribute materials at birthday parties that have all my contact information.

While a great deal of my work (not necessarily birthday parties but the number of shows I perform in general) comes from referrals, I barely break even with the calls I get from parental magazine advertising.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi Garry.
With 10 years under your belt, you should enough customers for repeat shows and referrals.
I only use business cards and referrals. No yellow pages or direct mailing.
Just recently, my son who is a graphic artist put up a web for me. Its in the early stage.I really don't need one, but he's been bothering me to set one up.
For the past 20 years I have been doing those kinds of numbers. Just recently I've cut down a bit. I'm kind of semi-- retired.
Most of my clients will change the time and most times even the dates to get Tricky Ricky.
Now, if you develop a reputation around town customers will work around your time schedule.
If the kid wants you for his birthday, the pwrent will try to work with you.
Now, the most important sell here is ---your service. You must have a great show and know how to entertain the children. After all is said and done, it is the children who are your customers.
Richard Lyn.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Richard,

That is platinum advice.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Gerry was asking how to increase the number of shows he performs on the weekends without spending a lot of money. I suggeted suggested finding a restaurant that caters to his demographic because in doing so, he'd be getting paid to, more or less, promote himself.

When you are working a restaurant, you are a walking billboard for your show. It's not blatent advertising -- it just the way it is. If you are any good, then you're doing the restaurant a favor by handing out business cards. They don't really want to field calls from customers trying to track you down and they also don't want you negotiating the time, date and price of a private party when other customers are waiting to see you.

I would never suggest taking $30 to $50 an hour for a private party, but restaurant work is different and the going rate in and around my area is in the $30 - $50 range. I'm not talking about what you charge for a private party. I'm talking about a restaurant. At $50 an hour, you're not undercutting anyone in this market. Sure it's working cheap, but you are working regularly every week, and for that price it's OK to hand out business cards. Furthermore, many restaurants will proudly display a poster at the front door announcing the times when you will be performing with your contact information at the bottom and some will even put out table tents doing the same. That's great publicity - for free!!!! Every customer potentially sees your name and face three times even when you are not there -- on the way in, at their table and on the way out. It costs you two or three hours a week.

Your not degrading yourself by promoting your show. If your not promoting yourself when you perform at a restaurant, then you're wasting your time and might as well go buy a few ads in the area family magazines, sit back and wait for the calls to come in, but then we are back Gerry's first post where he was barely breaking even.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I have to second Dannyhustle's endorsement of Tricky Ricky's advice.

Yes the parents have the "Dough" and they will willing part with it if you give their kidsand friends a party to remember. I hear of people wanting to do 8 shows a weekend... I don't have the energy for that kind of performance rigor. Maybe I am to high energy... maybe I am to intense...maybe I am old but fun.

I believe in give'em a knock your socks off eprformance that makes it memorable...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I didn't say to book 8 shows in a weekend. I'm just talking about having the option to perform however many shows you want to perform without spending everything you make on paid advertising. I'm all for performing a quality show and charging a good price for it. It also makes since to me to use the most effective ways to market your show. If Gerry is spending everything he makes on paid advertising, he might need to look at other options (like a restaurant) that may take a little more of his time but overall be more cost effective.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hey SeaDaug
I have been reading lots of your posts lately, and I must say that you are more blunt than I am. Way to go amigo.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
For my wife and I, we just realized that the formula of less shows and more income was exactly what we wanted. Then it became a matter of making that happen. It took a while but we are where we want to be and are enjoying it as well. We now perform less shows but make substantially more in the process. It may not work or be for everyone, but it works great for us.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
"While a great deal of my work (not necessarily birthday parties but the number of shows I perform in general) comes from referrals, I barely break even with the calls I get from parental magazine advertising."

Thought I'd just remind you guys of the original post. I thought this was about how to help Gerry book more shows without spending everything he makes on advertising. You can charge all you want to, but if all goes back into advertising then you're working for free.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Guys:

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a little overwhelmed with work (my day job) right now and when I have a few moments I'd like to respond to some of these postings.

Many thanks,

Gerry
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Hey Al, thanks for your kind words... sometimes I have been accused off being subtle like a brick thru a window.. but so be it.

Folks, I want you guys to consider something... Can anyone tellme what was on page three of Last Fridays newspaper? Or how about Page 28 of last months parent magazine? The nasty secret that a lot of ad sales people don't tell you is that the ads are not evergreens. Now a good brochure...possibly. A great website...definitely and a killer business card. Most times yes. I can only encourage people to consider how they are spending their dollars and to carefully ****yze the returns. I used to edit a weekly paper at some point in my past life...and as editor I used to have to manage the operations so I got some serious exposure to ad world....

Sometimes when I am going to be stuck in checkout lines, I make sure I have a pocket trick or two and some business cards. A Quick conversation, a demo and a passed out business card. Cost: Price of business card. Lets say I do 5 demos and book one show.... now that is a healthy ROI and ROIT( Return on invested Time).

For those who choose to PM me, I will share another idea with you. But it it is quid pro quo. you share too...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Keep in mind that effective marketing does not always mean a lot of money invested in advertising. Effective style marketing is much more then placing an ad in a parent magazine or the yellow pages.

A lot of folks think of marketing for their shows only through the process of word of mouth advertising. Word of mouth is certainly something you want to have working for you and it is an intrical part of seeking success. However most folks stop there when it comes to their own marketing endeavors.

Now it is great that you may be getting the work and that the gigs you have gets you word of mouth. However, there is so much more that you could be doing to make things work more effectively for you and even get you more work or even to climb up to a different and better paying market should you decide to do so.

The great part about effective marketing is that the principles cost you nothing and you really can apply them without breaking your budget. In a lot of ways it is just a change in your overall way of thinking from a passive form that many take, to a more active form where you are going out there and actively taking part in the sales process and actively involved in not just being the magic product to your client, but getting them to see you as a solutions provider for them. You are the one they go to, to have their problems solved.

As soon as you change your way of thinking (from perhaps a passive form to an active one), your perceived value to your clients change and this is a very powerful tool that can mean the client coming back to you year after year because to them you are worth more then any other magician they could hire. They do not care so much about your price or fee because they now know your worth to them.

So how do you get your prospects to notice you more effectively? How do you change your marketing approach from a passive form to a more active style? Good question and I would like to dive a bit further into it if I can.

The first step is realizing there is a difference between a passive form of marketing and an active one. In the passive approach, a marketer might do things such as hand out a business card, post up a flyer or place an ad in a magazine or newspaper. Now there is nothing wrong with doing any of these and a good marketer is one who will realize that a healthy combination of both active and passive can yield great results.

One thing to point out here is that posting a flyer or cards at any place is a very "passive" form of marketing. This is fine to do, but it means that you place something (ad, card, flyer) in the hopes that others will act upon it and take initiative to contact you. You lose control after the initial posting of the ad or handing out of the flyer. Your intentions are that a prospect will react positively to your ad etc. and then take action to seek you out.

Passive forms of marketing can be done successfully and should be used. However I find that "active" forms of marketing get me much better results and a bigger return on my investment of money and time.

In an active style, the marketer is always in control of the sales process. Instead of waiting for people to call, he or she goes out there and makes the calls and gets people to know who he or she is and the services they can provide. They take an active role in their marketing and getting the shows THEY want. They are always in control of the sales process every step of the way.

An ****ogy here would be a person going to a civic luncheon to network.

- A passive marketer would network, talk to folks and offer or give a business card to someone or as many as he or she can. They might even place an ad in the program or post a flyer at a table. They then go home and hope the person acts upon this action that they took.

- An active marketer is one who goes to the same meeting and also passes out a card to someone. However, they in return ask for a card back. This immediately puts them back in direct control of the sales process. An active marketer might even have a raffle to raffle off their free product to someone or something of value. This active marketer now can enter the data they receive from the business cards or the raffle forms into a database. They then would send the person an e-mail or letter thanking them for their time in talking with them at the event and offering to send them additional information.

This is only one small example, but I hope it shows the difference between the two ways of thinking. Passive and active forms of marketing are very different in their approach. Many do know about only passive forms as passive forms are the easiest and most common to do. There is nothing wrong with passive marketing.

However, it is my intentions to let people know that there exists an even powerful form called active style marketing. Use this active approach in your marketing and your thinking. There is great power in active style marketing because you take a much greater control and responsibility over the control of the sales process. You are much more in control of your business and its success.

It is a way of thinking that takes some time to get used to. But like any good habit, the more you do it, the better you get at it and soon you are doing it naturally. It is sometimes hard to think in active terms. I know it took me a while to remember to ask for business cards from people or to think of active forms when I am doing my theater shows or public performances. It takes time, but you can achieve a greater control over your marketing that you may not have had before.

So use a combination of both passive and active forms of marketing and use them to your best advantage. This gives you more control over your own success that you are seeking.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
That's Fantastic Kyle!!!!
This is what I've been hoping to see. How to make some $$$$$ without helping pay off the mortgages of the owners of all those parent/family magazines. The magazines serve a purpose, but as Kyle points out, there are many other more cost effective ways to market your shows.

That was a great post.

Derrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 3-5 Birthday Parties Every Weekend (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL